Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2003, 06:46   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Basic Engine Gauge Theory and Testing

ENGINE GAUGES (Fuel, Pressure, & Temperature Instruments):

Basic Theory of Operation:

There are two basic types of Engine Instrument Gauges:
a. The VOLTMETER, which requires an outside Voltage Source. This is the most common type Engine Gauge used on boats.
b. The AMMETER, which does NOT require external power.

The standard Voltmeter type Gauge receives it’s reference voltage from a Sender unit, mounted on the Engine. The Sender is a device, whose resistance varies with changes in Level, Pressure, or Temperature. As the sender resistance increases, the reference voltage transmitted to the Gauge decreases.

Temperature Senders are often Bi-Metalic Thermo-Couple devices, whose resistance decreases as Temperature rises; resulting in a higher reference voltage at the gauge. Other Senders (Level, Pressure, Vacuum, etc.) employ differing methods of varying their resistance (ie: Varisters) in response to the measured stimuli.

Alarm Switches are "On-Off" devices, either Normally-Open or Normally-Closed; which switch 'On' or 'Off' in response to a pre-set condition. Switches are utilized to operate Warning Lights and/or Buzzers.

All Resistance values noted are for Single Station Senders.
Dual Station Senders, operating two Gauges, will have One-Half the Resistance values noted below.
If one Gauge (of a Dual Station Pair) failes, the Other Gauge will to read much Higher than expected.

Pipe Extensions, Tees, etc., utilized to connect both a Gauge Sender & a Warning Light/Buzzer Switch to the same Engine Block Port are NOT recommended. Sender values could read Cooler or Lower Pressure than exists, and the added weight & moment could cause fatigue failures.

Basic Troubleshooting of Gauges:

All Gauges:

1. Remove Sender Wire from “S” Terminal on Gauge, and Turn ON Instruments Circuit.

2. Test Voltage between “I” Terminal (External Power Supply) and Ground Terminal “G”.
Tested voltage must match nominal voltage of the Gauge (ie: 12V Gauge must test between 10 - 16VDC), and the Battery Voltage.
If no voltage - check Ignition or Instrument Switch(s) and/or Fuses.
If tests less than battery voltage, repair or replace (Violet) wire from Ignition or Instrument Switch.

If a Sender fails “Open” (Infinite Resistance), one or both (if Dual Station) Gauges will read Zero Scale.
If a Sender Fails “Closed” (shorted - Zero Resistance), one or both Gauges will read Full Scale.

Other confusing Ohmmeter results, such as readings lower than expected, could indicate a poor Ground Connection at the Sender Body (Sender to Engine Block). Check for pipe dope or tape on Sender Threads.

Temperature Gauges:

1. Disconnect Tan Sender Wire from Gauge (Terminal “S”) and turn Instrument Power ON.
The Temperature Gauge should indicate ZERO Scale (< Low Temperature).

2. Short the Gauge Sender Terminal “S” to Ground Terminal “G”.
The Gauge should deflect to FULL Scale (> High Temperature).

3. Measure Resistance from Tan Sender Wire (disconnected from Gauge) to Ground.
American Temp. Senders will read: 450 Ohms (Engine Cold @ 1000F)
or 29.6 Ohms (Engine Hot @ 2500F )
European Temp. Senders will read: 281 Ohms (Cold @ 400C) and 22 Ohms (Hot @ 1200C)

4. Disconnect Tan Wire from Sender on Engine Block.

5. Test continuity of Tan Wire.
Zero Ohms from Block End to Gauge End - If not, repair or replace Wire.

6. Measure Resistance from Sender Terminal (on Block) to Ground on Block.
Should read as per (3) above - If not, replace Sender.

Pressure Gauges:

1. Disconnect Dark Blue Sender Wire from Gauge, and turn power ON.
The Pressure Gauge should read ZERO Scale (Low Pressure).

2. Short the Gauge Sender Terminal to Ground.
The Gauge should deflect to FULL Scale (>High Pressure).

3. Measure Resistance from Dark Blue Sender Wire to Ground.
American Press. Sender: 240 Ohms (Zero Pressure) 33.5 Ohms (Full Pressure @ 80 psi)
European Press. Sender: 10 Ohms (Zero Press.) & 180 Ohms (Full Press. @ 150 Bar)

See 4, 5, & 6 above (but Dk. Blue Wire)

Fuel Gauges:

1. Disconnect Pink Sender Wire from Gauge, and turn power ON.
The Fuel Gauge should read ZERO Scale (< Empty)

The Gauge should read FULL Scale (> Full).

3. Measure resistance of Pink Sender Wire to Ground.
American Floats: 240 Ohms (Empty), 103 Ohms (½ Full), & 33 Ohms (Full)
European Floats: 10 Ohms (Empty), 95 Ohms (Half), & 180 Ohms (Full)
Automotive & other Float Switches may use other resistances such as 0 - 90 Ohm, 73 - 10 Ohm, & etc.

See 4, 5, & 6 above (but Pink Wire)

See also the graphics posted at:
Wiring Diagrams: http://cruisersforum.com/photopost//...php?photo=1622
Testing Instructions: http://cruisersforum.com/photopost//...php?photo=1623
Sender Resistance: http://cruisersforum.com/photopost//...php?photo=1624

A few Notes on Wiring:

under construction ...

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 05:54   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I've just posted diagrams etc, which illustrate the Gauge Testing instructions
(urls corrected April 12/07)

Wiring Diagrams:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/gallery...=500&userid=79

Testing Instructions:

Sender Resistance:

Old 11-04-2007, 13:58   #3

Hi Gord,
I'm trying to access the diagrams you posted for basic engine gauge testing on 01-02-2006, and the links aren't working for me.
Is there somewhere else I can see them?
thanks
liz
lancs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 00:37   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sorry liz - had an incomplete url. corrected now.

Old 12-04-2007, 20:12   #5

Thanks Gord!
liz
lancs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 00:08   #6

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Re: Basic Engine Gauge Theory & Testing

Found this gem on Page 70 of 79!
It should be sticky'd, but I can't do that.
So bang we bump!

Thanks Gord!
Extemp.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:43   #7

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius

Gord MAy, Do you have any ideas on how to test a Tach? My tach registers and then cuts out. The old did the same thinm, this one new volvo as of Feb 2011. I have a volvo 2040. Thanks
Dave
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:52   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Basic Engine Gauge Theory and Testing

I don't know anything about Volvos.

Check out the Shop Manual
Volvo Workshop Manual (MD20 - 10/20/30/40)
php captcha script

Old 12-03-2011, 17:18   #9

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonshaw View Post
Gord MAy, Do you have any ideas on how to test a Tach? My tach registers and then cuts out. The old did the same thinm, this one new volvo as of Feb 2011. I have a volvo 2040. Thanks
Dave
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tion-1763.html
Don't know if that will help or not?

Cheers,
Extemp.
Old 24-11-2013, 12:38   #10

Boat: '71 Morgan 41-OI

I had teleflex tach cut out intermittently as well. I was fed by a hamilton ferris alternator. I was told by Ham Ferris that when the batterys are topped the alternator stops putting out intermittently to maintain the float voltage. This causes the tach to read and then drop back to 0.
If you need the tach to read all the time then put a load on the 12 volt system. ex. turn on inverter and plug in a space heater
Hope this helps. Rob
Watermelon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 06:54   #11

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post

a. The VOLTMETER, which requires an outside Voltage Source. This is the most common type Engine Gauge used on boats.
b. The AMMETER, which does NOT require external power.

The standard Voltmeter type Gauge receives it’s reference voltage from a Sender unit, mounted on the Engine. The Sender is a device, whose resistance varies with changes in Level, Pressure, or Temperature. As the sender resistance increases, the reference voltage transmitted to the Gauge decreases.

Temperature Senders are often Bi-Metalic Thermo-Couple devices, whose resistance decreases as Temperature rises; resulting in a higher reference voltage at the gauge. Other Senders (Level, Pressure, Vacuum, etc.) employ differing methods of varying their resistance (ie: Varisters) in response to the measured stimuli.

Alarm Switches are "On-Off" devices, either Normally-Open or Normally-Closed; which switch 'On' or 'Off' in response to a pre-set condition. Switches are utilized to operate Warning Lights and/or Buzzers.

All Resistance values noted are for Single Station Senders.
Dual Station Senders, operating two Gauges, will have One-Half the Resistance values noted below.
If one Gauge (of a Dual Station Pair) failes, the Other Gauge will to read much Higher than expected.

Pipe Extensions, Tees, etc., utilized to connect both a Gauge Sender & a Warning Light/Buzzer Switch to the same Engine Block Port are NOT recommended. Sender values could read Cooler or Lower Pressure than exists, and the added weight & moment could cause fatigue failures.

Basic Troubleshooting of Gauges:

All Gauges:

1. Remove Sender Wire from “S” Terminal on Gauge, and Turn ON Instruments Circuit.

2. Test Voltage between “I” Terminal (External Power Supply) and Ground Terminal “G”.
Tested voltage must match nominal voltage of the Gauge (ie: 12V Gauge must test between 10 - 16VDC), and the Battery Voltage.
If no voltage - check Ignition or Instrument Switch(s) and/or Fuses.
If tests less than battery voltage, repair or replace (Violet) wire from Ignition or Instrument Switch.

If a Sender fails “Open” (Infinite Resistance), one or both (if Dual Station) Gauges will read Zero Scale.
If a Sender Fails “Closed” (shorted - Zero Resistance), one or both Gauges will read Full Scale.

Other confusing Ohmmeter results, such as readings lower than expected, could indicate a poor Ground Connection at the Sender Body (Sender to Engine Block). Check for pipe dope or tape on Sender Threads.

Temperature Gauges:

1. Disconnect Tan Sender Wire from Gauge (Terminal “S”) and turn Instrument Power ON.
The Temperature Gauge should indicate ZERO Scale (< Low Temperature).

2. Short the Gauge Sender Terminal “S” to Ground Terminal “G”.
The Gauge should deflect to FULL Scale (> High Temperature).

3. Measure Resistance from Tan Sender Wire (disconnected from Gauge) to Ground.
American Temp. Senders will read: 450 Ohms (Engine Cold @ 1000F)
or 29.6 Ohms (Engine Hot @ 2500F )
European Temp. Senders will read: 281 Ohms (Cold @ 400C) and 22 Ohms (Hot @ 1200C)

4. Disconnect Tan Wire from Sender on Engine Block.

5. Test continuity of Tan Wire.
Zero Ohms from Block End to Gauge End - If not, repair or replace Wire.

6. Measure Resistance from Sender Terminal (on Block) to Ground on Block.
Should read as per (3) above - If not, replace Sender.

Pressure Gauges:

1. Disconnect Dark Blue Sender Wire from Gauge, and turn power ON.
The Pressure Gauge should read ZERO Scale (Low Pressure).

The Gauge should deflect to FULL Scale (>High Pressure).

3. Measure Resistance from Dark Blue Sender Wire to Ground.
American Press. Sender: 240 Ohms (Zero Pressure) 33.5 Ohms (Full Pressure @ 80 psi)
European Press. Sender: 10 Ohms (Zero Press.) & 180 Ohms (Full Press. @ 150 Bar)

See 4, 5, & 6 above (but Dk. Blue Wire)

Fuel Gauges:

1. Disconnect Pink Sender Wire from Gauge, and turn power ON.
The Fuel Gauge should read ZERO Scale (< Empty)

The Gauge should read FULL Scale (> Full).

3. Measure resistance of Pink Sender Wire to Ground.
American Floats: 240 Ohms (Empty), 103 Ohms (½ Full), & 33 Ohms (Full)
European Floats: 10 Ohms (Empty), 95 Ohms (Half), & 180 Ohms (Full)
Automotive & other Float Switches may use other resistances such as 0 - 90 Ohm, 73 - 10 Ohm, & etc.

See 4, 5, & 6 above (but Pink Wire)

See also the graphics posted at:
Wiring Diagrams: http://cruisersforum.com/photopost//...php?photo=1622
Testing Instructions: http://cruisersforum.com/photopost//...php?photo=1623
Sender Resistance: http://cruisersforum.com/photopost//...php?photo=1624

A few Notes on Wiring:

under construction ...
Gord, nice to provide the info for the OP. There are other types of gauges too, like tachometer, and some meters are replaced by idiot lights to indicate problems rather than the actual level, e.g. low oil pressure vs. actual pressure. There are also often alarms connected to water temp and oil pressure which can add complexity to a given panel. I have also noticed that the traditional resistor based ammeters are going away to avoid having large wires having to go to the panel and back. Definitely a variety of panels and how they work.

And some on/off senders can be NO (normally open) or NC (normally closed) depending on what you are measuring and how it is handled on the panel or with alarms. I say all this because it was quite the learning experience for me in the early days. What has always helped me is to diagram the system "as is" first so that I physically trace all the wires (hopefully color coded all the way from the panel to the senders in some fashion which may or may not follow the "standard" coding) to the engines from the panels. I use that to identify anomalies, e.g. why does one wire go to only one engine and not the other. And then I draw a "to be" diagram to show how I want to reinstall, improve, and/or fix the circuits.

Nice basic diagrams to get the OP started.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 08:11   #12

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Gord,

Thank you for taking the time to elaborate in such detail.

Very useful.

Cheers!

Bill
Old 20-10-2015, 08:54   #13

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post

b. The AMMETER, which does NOT require external power[/i]

Both meters use the d'arsonval meter movement. There is no difference between the 2 just how they are connected. Most analog meter movements use this style meter.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 03:11   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Old 17-12-2023, 09:18   #15

Boat: Cal 29-2

”Temperature Senders are often Bi-Metalic Thermo-Couple devices, whose resistance decreases as Temperature rises; resulting in a higher reference voltage at the gauge. Other Senders (Level, Pressure, Vacuum, etc.) employ differing methods of varying their resistance (ie: Varisters) in response to the measured stimuli

The USA marine temperature sender units are thermistors and mostly change resistance inversely with temperature (negative temperature coefficient).
The bi-metallic type gauge system was seen in low cost cars like a Ford Fiesta of the 1980’s. The gauge movement is the bimetallic element moving due its own thermal change based on heating current through it and a distant sender. These had gradual movement due to the design. Thermocouples are created by two differing metals (usually wires) joined that creates a very small but predictable voltage based on temperature of the joint. These require specially sensitive meters. Neither of these are used for marine engine panels gauges these days.

Only a few makers like Faria and VDO sell temperature senders in the small 1/8” NPT size which was my requirement for a Yanmar. Best to use one brand of gauge and sender for temperature as that is not very standardized. Fuel level and oil pressure gauges with 240-33 Ohm design can work with other brand senders.
Note that in the table Gord provides, not only is the Euro resistance range quite different but has the opposite trend as well. I.e., an American 240-33 Ohm sender will give wacko oil pressure readings on a Euro gauge. VDO (now under Continental) makes both Euro and USA Gauges/senders.
Teleflex (and to lesser extent Stewart Warner) was the standard for most USA marine engine instruments and they are now absorbed under the VeeThree moniker . https://www.veethree.com/support/mar...uction-sheets/.

Old ammeter gauges up to about +- 60A had internal shunts. The better but more costly solution is to use external shunts. Having no ammeter at all is unwise in my view. VDO makes some lovely ammeters (even +-100A or 150A) with 270 degree sweep but are step on price. It uses a stepper motor internally. Many modern tachometers also are microcontroller designs now with extra features possible. A good name in more traditional gauges is Datcon.
Dalestr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine