Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2015, 02:19   #1

Boat: Bavaria 38 Cruiser, 12meters, 2004
Basic Description of Simple Solar Installation

Hi, having just completed my solar panel install here is a vid of the finished product with some descriptions. One of the most frustrating things was learning that sometimes nice and slow is the fastest way. I had to cut cables and redo my MC4- connectors because I didn't take care to make sure things like the little rubber grommet and the cap were on the cable and in the correct order. The connectors aren't reusable so had to order new ones as well. I also forgot to intall the lock nuts on the roof entry glands so cutting the cable was inevitable. I also learned the sealer I used was the worst imaginable stuff to deal with as it is worse than warm chewing gum. It's one mitigating factor is that the seal stays soft and to some extent will keep resealing as well as being readily removable in the event deck fittings need to come off as in this case it did to fit the gland nuts. Thankfully turps works wonders for removing the stuff having got it everywhere. Shading is always an issue on a boat, but at a later stage I may alter the permanent horizontal mount to one that can be tilted in any direction while the boat is crewed for optimum performance. At this stage my main interest is to keep the batteries charged while at a swing mooring.
Attached Files
Kerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
installation, solar