Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2016, 11:39   #16

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat
Re: Bank Size and Charging Capacity

Don't know specifically about your monitor, but in general the amp counters are not accurate over the long run and will show a "amps used" number even when fully charged. Need to reset to "Fully charged" periodically (when they actually are fully charged, of course). The voltage and amperage will tell you that based on the bank size as someone stated earlier. Another way to check it so let them sit with no load or charging going on. Fully charged lead acid should be 12.7 or 12.8 volts when full.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 11:52   #17

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moontide View Post
Don't know specifically about your monitor, but in general the amp counters are not accurate over the long run and will show a "amps used" number even when fully charged. Need to reset to "Fully charged" periodically (when they actually are fully charged, of course). The voltage and amperage will tell you that based on the bank size as someone stated earlier. Another way to check it so let them sit with no load or charging going on. Fully charged lead acid should be 12.7 or 12.8 volts when full.
I didn't know anyone just said lead acid anymore? I thought it had to be FLA or AGM or something else. Have you ever seen as many problems.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 12:19   #18

Boat: Yawl,One of a Kind, 39 feet, Mare Nostrum
Send a message via Skype™ to Mare Nostrum

Hello Everyone! I am looking for some advice/ideas on possibly buying a flexible solar panel system for my 39´Yawl. My battery bank includes 2 identical wet batteries ("1" & "2"), each of which has Reserve Capacity of 335 Mins. and approx. 170 Amp Hrs. The only appliances I have are a Coffee Maker (600W) and a 750W Microwave; I use a 1.8KW inverter for these appliances, but don´t run them simultaneously, and usually with the motor on. Most of the cabin lights are LED and nav light is an all-around on the main mast. Also have a black and white radar, a Raytheon Path Finder SL-70, and a Standard Horizon 25W VHF.
I am just wondering what the approximate solar panel specs would be for this type of system?

Many thanks for some helpful experience and feedback!

Roberto Sonnenberger
s/v Mare Nostrum
Acapulco
Mare Nostrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 13:01   #19

Amp-counters do need periodic resets to remain useful, however IF they are programmed correctly, it will happen automatically.
boatbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 13:06   #20

Roberto, the answer to your question depends on how many amp-hours you typically use in a day. Figure on 6hrs good sunshine a day, that must put back whatever power you used up plus a little extra for days when the sun doesn't cooperate.

E.g. 120W panel might produce 7.5A in full sun, so in a 6 hour period it would return 45Ah to the batteries.
boatbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 14:09   #21

Boat: morgan 382

If your batteries are three years old, then the plates might be sulfated and your battery capacity has been degraded. The only way to be sure is to separate the batteries and load test each one. An amp hour meter is needed to perform this test. Charge the battery to 14.4v then turn off the charger and apply a steady 20A load. Each battery should maintain over 12v for at least 10 hours. Checking each cells as mentioned before is also a quick check.
siboneysail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, size