Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2015, 11:12   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Pa La O La
BalmarARS-5 voltage regulator

I have a voltage regulator problem. I got an over voltage warning on my ARC Link that separates my house and starting battery when I am not charging the system. The digital display on my ARS-5 regulator said it was putting out 13.3 V at the battery being charged and the target voltage was 13.4V. Problem is my Xantrex battery monitor and my Xantrex control head for my inverter/charger and my digital multi meter ( reading at the out put to the DC bus all read 14.2V to as high as 14.5 V. I have a Balmar 80 amp alternator. I would think I have a regulator problem and not an alternator problem as it is the job of the regulator to control the out put of said alternator. The system has worked faithfully for 8 years or so. It stopped working in the middle of a night crossing on a three day passage. Then it started working again for the next day. But again it did the same thing crossing the Banks to Provo yesterday. I need to resolve this before heading out of here because getting parts will become a real issue and cooking my house battery bank doesn't appeal. If ya know what I mean.
Thanks for any words of wisdom.
Gary

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 22-03-2015, 11:51   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: BalmarARS-5 voltage regulator

where are you sensing the regulator for voltage control (where's the red wire connected), at the alternator or at the battery

but either location the voltage shouldn't be overshooting the setpoint and probalby means is failing

did you go though the troubleshooting section on the regulator instructions?
Old 22-03-2015, 12:01   #3

I agree that the voltage sense wire should be at the house bank.

Have you re-programmed the regulator? That would be my first step. For some reason my MC-612 switched programs on me a few months ago all by itself! Now back to normal, although I didn't have voltage issues.

If you're leaving and unsure or not feeling secure with it, buy a new one. I'd get the newer MC-614. You're talking maybe less than $200. Small change in the big scheme of things.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2015, 12:39   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to Pa La O La

It is sensing at the bus. I went through the program settings and they are set at what they have been from its installation.

Thank you for the reply

Gary

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 22-03-2015, 13:13   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Check the connections on the alternator, especially the black one.

Toronto in summer, Bahamas in winter.
Old 31-03-2017, 12:37   #6

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

I know this thread is old and probably original reporter's problem is already solved, however my information may help someone else with a similar problem.

The described problem: System voltage when charging is too high, The ARS-5 says Bv is lower than what is measured at the buss, or house bank.

Possible cause: A resistance in the sense wire (red wire) from the buss to the regulator is causing a voltage drop. The regulator sees a lower voltage and kicks up the alternator , causing too high system voltage.

Verification: Measure the sense wire voltage at various points from the buss to the red lug on the ARS-5. If you see any significant drop in the measured voltage than this confirms a resistance. Perform this test while charging because current flow through the wires usually magnifies the voltage drop.

Cure: Replace the sense wire. Do not install a new sense wire without a fuse in it. The fuse is needed to protect the ARS-5, however, be careful you don't reuse the fuse holder if that is the source of the voltage drop.

Note: I have seen the resistance occur at the fuse or fuse holder in the sense wire, sometimes a voltage drop of .8 - 1.2 volts. which is enough to throw off the whole regulation system
wingssail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
balmar, regulator