Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2018, 12:08   #1

Boat: Tayana FD-12
Balmar dual output alternator 9115

Does anyone know what to do with un-used output of a dual output balmar alternator. I see nowhere in balmar installation manuals and i sifted through many pdfs, any instructions on what to do in case you are only charging one bank. One comment on one of the other forums suggested they be tied together.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 14:03   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Balmar dual output alternator 9115

On our boat I have bridged the two outputs together at the alternator. The combined output goes to the house bank, and the engine start battery is charged via an Echo charger. Has worked well for years.

Jim
Old 21-06-2018, 04:42   #3

Boat: Tayana FD-12
Re: Balmar dual output alternator 9115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
On our boat I have bridged the two outputs together at the alternator. The combined output goes to the house bank, and the engine start battery is charged via an Echo charger. Has worked well for years.

Jim
Thanks, I was about to leave the other terminal open. And nowhere in the manual does it say what to do. When i bought the boat two years ago we motored for 2 miles to the travel lift. At that time Alternator was not producing an output. i had a clamp on meter on the output wire showing no current. And the other output was left open. Since then during the 2 year refit, I found a blown 10A fuse at the regulator red power wire. i also had the alternator rebuilt by an armature shop. They rebuilt my starter and ideal windlass motor as well.

So is it true that if second output is left open, those diodes would fail? That would seem to indicate that there is a dual bridge inside, 12 didoes total?
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, balmar