We just finished installation
of our new alternator on a Yanmar
4JH5E engine. Yes, it's not a Volvo
but our experience may helpful, because we really had some problems specifically with the AT 165.
Originally I ordered a Balmar
AT 165 and the Alt Mount Kit from a Balmar
distributor (RJS Marine
, really highly recommended!).
When installing the AT 165 I encountered two severe problems:
1. there is a non-removable plastic stud coming out of the cage which prevented our model from tilting "inwards" far enough to allow mounting the belt
2. even worse, the B+ terminal of tha AT165 is located "inwards" from the plastic stud
You can see the problem on the attached images
. On the second picture you can see how the B+ wire would have had to be mounted (empty cable shoe as a simulation) - it would not have been possible at all to mount the B+ cable without touching the engine block.
It totally eludes me why Balmar chose this terminal layout, I believe the problem will not only exist with Yanmar
After trying this it became clear that the AT 165 would not fit. Really, really bad, as it is a very nice piece of technology!
Luckily we were able to swap the AT 165 for a Balmar 6 type alternator (thanks, Richard). It's an older design and only delivers 150 instead of nominal 165 A. But this model did properly fit on our engine (see third picture). You can also see that the terminal layout was not a problem with this alternator.
BTW, we are also charging a LiFePO4
bank with this alternator. Using a Balmar MC 614 charge regulator.
(Maine Sail, many thanks for all your extremely helpful posts and articles on your web site and in the LiFePO4