Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2018, 13:27   #1

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer
Balmar Alt-mount on 3GM30f - belt too long?

.. the alaternator (100a balmar) is at the limit of travel on the bracket. The belt is juuust tight enough, or a hair too loose, but surely isnt over tight. You can turn the fan on the alternator without turning the water pump or crank. There is some light dusting of the belt (not nearly as bad as the v-belt)

I did get the belt buddy, but kinda doesn't work as either the bracket is too short or the belt is too long.

(yes the belt buddy is not installed as intended as is, as the arm isnt long enough)

Is there a longer adjustment arm available? I don't think the balmar arm will work as there is a bend in the current arm to clear the oil filter.

Any ideas on a reliable engineering solution
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180325_134632.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	403.1 KB
ID:	167083   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180325_134637.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	404.5 KB
ID:	167084  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180325_134644.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	402.4 KB
ID:	167085  
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 13:29   #2

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)
Re: Balmar Alt-mount on 3GM30f - belt too long?

Slightly shorter belt?
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 13:33   #3

Boat: Amel 50

I would remove the installed belt and would go to an auto parts store to get the next size smaller belt.

Or, if you can read it on the belt, get the current belt information and buy the next size smaller.

I had to do this for my engine too.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 13:40   #4

Then again, Balmars video actually does show them using their arm on a 3gm30.. but using a spacer on the arm...

Plus they are using a different hole in the engine than mine (alternator was installed by the previous owner). The bolt that is being used on my engine is WAY longer than the one in their video. Possibly the previous owner changed holes to make it work with the original arm?

https://youtu.be/_s0Sm8s8T8A
Old 25-03-2018, 13:46   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom23 View Post
I would remove the installed belt and would go to an auto parts store to get the next size smaller belt.

Or, if you can read it on the belt, get the current belt information and buy the next size smaller.

I had to do this for my engine too.
so you installed the alt mount kit and ran into this too?

I am not sure if I have enough space to swing the alternator down to get the alternator to mount on the other hole on the belt buddy, as it is intended to be installed.

but im still kinda curious how/why balmar used a different hole on the engine than is used on mine. I am going to assume theirs is more correct.

But a shorter belt would work , if I have the real estate.

They sell J series belts at autopart stores (most are K). edit: looks like balmar has a selection of j-10 belts. I should mount the alternator properly, then figure out the length I need? Be easier to do than changing the arm, which i might have to do if I don't have the real estate
Old 25-03-2018, 16:03   #6

you defiantly shouldn't be able to turn the alt by hand. the belt is too loose.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 16:14   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
you defiantly shouldn't be able to turn the alt by hand. the belt is too loose.
hence the reason for my post

It is a LOT better, and a LOT less dust than when the v-belt was on the engine!

It is borderline acceptable, but need to be right
Old 26-03-2018, 08:51   #8

Boat: 77 Hunter 30

Any Balmar I have done the adjuster goes on the top not the bottom. That swings the alt out farther any chance you could swap the adjuster to the top?? Google Balmar yanmar 3 cyl installs and view the images most are on the top.

good luck
Techtool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 09:14   #9

Boat: Amel 50

When I bought my current (used) boat, it had one size longer belt installed and I could not adjust it properly. It has the stock alternator. I bought a shorter belt and the problem was fixed.

On my previous boat (Lagooon 450) with Balmar alternators and serpentine belt setup, I had two sizes belts. The longer size belt was ordered by mistake. Both belt sizes would work but the longer one was close to the end of the adjustment. As I was cruising, I kept both belt sizes for spares.

In your case, if everything else is OK, I would try a shorter belt. If it works, this will be your fastest/easiest fix... If it does not work, you can always return the belt.

If for some reason the shorter belt does not work, I would contact Balmar. They should know the answer. They should also be able to give you the alternator/pulley install instructions and pics.

Or, you can contact Balmar before you try anything.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 09:25   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techtool View Post
Any Balmar I have done the adjuster goes on the top not the bottom. That swings the alt out farther any chance you could swap the adjuster to the top?? Google Balmar yanmar 3 cyl installs and view the images most are on the top.

good luck
Are you talking about the belt buddy adjuster?

I am using the belt buddy universal. There is a L shaped Blue block at the end of the BB, (which is different than the regular Belt Buddy) where it attaches to the ear of the alternator in my picture. This is wrong. The belt buddy should attach to only the bracket, not the alternator. The alternator should attach to the other blue block ( Balmar Belt Buddy alternator tensioning device )

I didn't have any space in the bracket to do it the right way (hence my post)

Or am I not understanding your suggestion?
Old 26-03-2018, 09:30   #11

Here is a suggestion i just happen to see on that link i just posted.. can drill a hole in the OTHER end of the arm and work it backwards

Still, I am AT the end of the arm. The belt IS too long either way.

Balmar Belt Buddy

Quote:
This is a creative use of the belt buddy that one of my customers came up with. He has drilled a hole in his existing alternator arm to attach the belt buddy to the inner end. That was presumably because he didn't have enough space at the end of the arm to attach it in the conventional way.

Pretty creative!
Old 26-03-2018, 10:38   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom23 View Post
When I bought my current (used) boat, it had one size longer belt installed and I could not adjust it properly. It has the stock alternator. I bought a shorter belt and the problem was fixed.

On my previous boat (Lagooon 450) with Balmar alternators and serpentine belt setup, I had two sizes belts. The longer size belt was ordered by mistake. Both belt sizes would work but the longer one was close to the end of the adjustment. As I was cruising, I kept both belt sizes for spares.

In your case, if everything else is OK, I would try a shorter belt. If it works, this will be your fastest/easiest fix... If it does not work, you can always return the belt.

If for some reason the shorter belt does not work, I would contact Balmar. They should know the answer. They should also be able to give you the alternator/pulley install instructions and pics.

Or, you can contact Balmar before you try anything.
yes I am going to try to install the alternator and belt buddy properly, sans belt, and make sure everything clears properly first, and use a shorter belt that leaves room to adjust.

I might try to install the belt buddy backwards (like this -click additional information belt buddy backwards) and use it to PUSH the alternator, instead of pulling it.

If neither of these 2 simple basic options work, I will contact balmar for further suggestions. Rather not reinvent the wheel.
Old 26-03-2018, 11:04   #13

I did the exact same thing and had a similar problem on my 3QM30H.

The solution I had is to weld a little length of steel to the "block end" of the tensioning bar and drill a new hole for the bolt. In my case I addied about two inches just to have the extra adjustment space. If you're worried about vibration and fatigue on the weld, a small piece of steel lapped and welded over the joint will make things sturdy enough.

I wen to the next belt size up to get the alternator to move away from the block a little as it wanted to rest agains a small hose that's coming out of that side of the engine.
SeaBreeze-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 11:42   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBreeze-1 View Post
I did the exact same thing and had a similar problem on my 3QM30H.

The solution I had is to weld a little length of steel to the "block end" of the tensioning bar and drill a new hole for the bolt. In my case I addied about two inches just to have the extra adjustment space. If you're worried about vibration and fatigue on the weld, a small piece of steel lapped and welded over the joint will make things sturdy enough.

I wen to the next belt size up to get the alternator to move away from the block a little as it wanted to rest agains a small hose that's coming out of that side of the engine.
That was another option I thought of, I was going to lengthen it, but bring it to a machine shop to make it out of one piece of steel. Kind of my method of last resort, as it requires a lot more effort!
Old 26-03-2018, 11:43   #15

so at least I know I don't hold an exclusive on this !

Tags
3gm, 3gm30, balmar