Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-08-2015, 12:35   #16

Re: Balmar 614 regulator / Balmar Alternator help

Originally Posted by RalphL View Post
I had a similar experience with a Balmar regulator and also a solar panel regulator operating at the same time. The Balmar regulator shutdown and took out the tachometer at the control panel. When I disconnected the solar panels/ regulator everything returned to normal. Looks like the Balmar is sufficiently smart/sensitive to detect another charging system.
As a fix I plan to shut-off the solar panels with a relay when motoring.

May not be relevant to the particular event on this thread but it is something to be aware of.
IIRC, Maine Sail's suggestion is to modify the charging voltage on the solar system, so that both the solar & alternator (regulator) settings are different.

Avoids the relay. KISS.

Stu Jackson
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 13:08   #17

Re: Balmar 614 regulator / Balmar Alternator help

KISS is fine in theory. But my solar panel regulator is not adjustable/configurable/settable other than for battery type! To me, having 2 relatively sophisticated regulators operating at the same time when they weren't designed for that type of service is not a good idea. Wish I'd thought of this at the outset.

RalphL is offline   Reply With Quote

alternator, balmar, regulator

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules