Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2016, 01:17   #1

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989
BAD STORY FROM GIOCO SOLUTIONS SOLAR PANELS

I bought 2x150W mono-crystal flexible panels (zipped on bimini) in irder to protect my service battery bank. It is their top product line.

After assembly, in late August (Malta) i see NO current from panel 1, and a miserable 14,4V and 20W on panel 2 (at 1pm solar time).

I did the assembly work. 2 expert technicians (the best l ever met all around the Med! KURT CASAPINTA & JACQUES VASSALLO) confirm that panels are "gone".
I cant believe it. They are flexible, and so (outrageously) priced...

Communication with the vendor is sloppy, they dont trust my reports initially, and claim having sold 60/70 panels with zero defects. I wait to be back to italy, as freight costs are 175 eur from malta, 72 eur from italy, and 30eur (that l have to pay!) with their franchise.

Later, the vendor (Negozio Equo) confirms that there were some electronic components out of order (actually, mine showed salt water oxidation and no water proofing!).

Soon after, Gioco communicates that two new panels will be given to me, but i have to pay for the Zippos (110eur).
There was not the slightest word of explanations, nor excusation!

Comments
They dont waterproof the diode unit (I'll do that)
I doubt they checked the panels, as there was no label for Quality Check in the box (which l find even in products of low quality/value)
One panel was even missing any serial number label
I see GIOCO policy: we dont want any out-of-pocket costs in servicing the guarantee! Bravo!

Indeed, i paid additional 140eur in order to have the warranty available, and spent hours trafficking around panels, and paid up two guys 40eur/h to be told they were faulty ...
Not to say that i lost the season, anticipated 1300eur to them gor nothing, had to manage all the complications of logistics from a travelling boat abroad....
At times, i got frustrated, and... mildly furious...
Let me repeat, NOT A WORD OF EXCUSE, that little magic word erased by ignorance, pride, carelessness: Ci S c u s i ! (Sorry)

I will not buy any Third Panel from this maker.
In Malta, similar panels are 20% cheaper, and the solar units are manufactured all aboard
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panels, solar, solar panels