Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 05:55   #1

Boat: 1975 Gulfstar M53
Auto Generator Start Circuit Setup?

Reaching out for some experience on an Auto Generator Start issue?

Problem: Auto Gen Start is an available function (module in place) but wiring (setup) has not been run to auto-crank the genny. I have studied the circuitry and know where the connections are for the XANTREX. My problem is, I don't know where to connect the wires from the XANTREX to the genny start/run switch poles? Can't find a coherent diagram online? Anyone have one - or can recommend where to find a wiring schematic (its not clear in the Phasor/Kubota/Stamford manuals)?

Some basic data: XANTREX Inverter Model 2512MC with Phasor deisel 15KW Genset (Stamford Generator/Kubota Engine) with auto choke and pre-heat. Auto-start functions in XANTREX are fully programmed and working. Just need to connect RY-7 and RY-8 curcuits to the right "points" on the Genny control board. Two switches on Genny control board (1) Off/Run (2-position) and (2) Start/Preheat (3-position switch that returns to center when released).

Anyone with expereince in this area - I would welcome suggestions on where to connect the RY-7 and RY-8 wires to the genny switches described above?

Respectfully - Steve
53FT Gulfstar Ketch
Tampa FL
TMT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:29   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Re: Auto Generator Start Circuit Setup?

Why wouldn't you contact Phasor or Xantrex for the info? Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:44   #3

I've attached the manual for what I think is the Xantrex device being referred to.

I could never locate one of these units, however, so have no experience using it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Generator Start Module.pdf (400.7 KB, 83 views)
JayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 18:06   #4

Managed to figure it out on my own...XANTREX 2512MC now auto-cranks and runs the Genny. The problem wasn't the XANTREX - it was the Genny start switch - they are wired backwards like a see-saw (switch up [start] heats up the lower switch leads on the wired end of the toggle).

Thanks Chuck - Been there - done that...neither XANTREX nor PHASOR were much help....apparently they don't talk to each other much? Its sad...the XANTREX 2512MC and the PHASOR K-4 are a powerful and reliable combination - I can power a small village with this setup and the Genny auto-cranks when needed based on settings I input for loads and redline values (Low Battery Bank, High amps output, running appliances (washer/dryer, 4 x ACs, trash compactor, Ice maker, multiple chargers and electric winches - just to name a few).

JayH - Thanks for the manual - your device is a stand-alone AGS unit - my 2512MC has this feature already integrated into the inverter as well as 3 other auxillary control modules.

Now on to the next challenge - GENSET out of phase (Synch error). Will start a new post if I get stuck - will share what I discover if I solve it.

Thanks for the input folks.

Steve
Gulfstar M53
Tampa, FL
Old 09-08-2013, 12:10   #5

For those interested - I resolved my problem after many helpful insights from a wise XANTREX SW2512 owner who really knows his electrical "stuff." I have successfully connected the XANTREX SW2512MC employing the auto-Generator start function with a PHASOR K-4 16KW genny. The simple solution in accorance with NEC and ABYC standards was to wire power input from the external transfer switch (Shore/Ship power) to the AC-2 Hot/AC-2 Neutral (as long as the external transfer switch (a manual device) is properly wired to engage neutral to ground bonding necessary for generator operations). The Shore power "in" is grounded by the shore power circuit at the dock and the transfer switch disengages the neutral to ground bond when shore power is applied. Wiring to AC-2 (Hot and neutral) permits the XANTREX SW2512 to recognize "power" on the AC-2 circuit and keeps the genny running after the pre-programmed warm-up period. Great thanks to those that helped me sort this out - its a powerful and versitile system combination that is now fully controlled at the remote panel!

Unfortunately - I found "no"local marine electricians, generator or manufacture techs that were a single point of contact with all of the knowledge to resolve this problem. If you would like specific details of the "configuration" of this system - PM me and I will be glad to share what I have learned.

Steve
Gulfstar M53 Ketch
Tampa FL

Tags
generator