Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-07-2014, 10:57   #91
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Are Wind Generators even worth it?

Quote:
That's all good and true....but when I strap a wind generator on a tripod and drive down the road at 10kts, 15kts, and 20kts and get barely 1/2 to 3/4 of the rated output for some brands of generators while others hit their advertized values...well there is some BS marketing going on.
Care to post your results?

Old 23-07-2014, 10:59   #92
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalac 12M

Thats one of the sweet things about solar. You can almost instantly tell what's going on with a look. Also I like the fact that there are no moving parts. No dissimilar metals, for the most part, depending on what you use to mount them. This means they should last a long time. Solar systems are essentially maintenance free.

Old 25-07-2014, 19:44   #93

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Well I did replace the bearings on my ampair last year. But if I was comparing the two, the wind generators are maintenance-free. the solar panels have to be washed every week or two. dust, soot and Birds will cut back output quite a lot
Old 25-07-2014, 21:01   #94

Boat: Catalina 22 Capri

No wind mills for me. They belong on the prairie not boats. I have seen boats that look like some peoples yard ****------wishing wells, bird baths, egyptian sculptures, pink flamingoes, etc. If thats what floats your boat, have at it.
Old 26-07-2014, 02:32   #95
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
No wind mills for me. They belong on the prairie not boats. I have seen boats that look like some peoples yard ****------wishing wells, bird baths, egyptian sculptures, pink flamingoes, etc. If thats what floats your boat, have at it.
Yeah, one of those angle iron towers would look a bit odd o n your Cat 22... likely wouldn't float your boat, might sink it.

Good decision... for you.

Jim
Old 26-07-2014, 08:56   #96
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalac 12M

Now a direct drive windmill with a transmission that drives a prop....
Old 26-07-2014, 09:26   #97
Marine Service Provider

Boat: YORKTOWN 33'

we have both 400watts wind and 500watts solor and runs everything on our boat. As for looks we use our solor panels as our bimini. we found out panels are alot stronger than we thought . our radar broke in bad storm 80+knott winds and fell on panal and no damage to panal and still puts out maxx power. but back to real question we've been caught in days of overcast but had wind and been caught with lots of sun and no wind so if you need power and don't wanta hear a generator we find it best to have both worlds. but we do hear you the air-x we have isn't loud or noises until batteries are full and brake stops air-x...that part sometimes will scare you...lol
Old 26-07-2014, 09:46   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Yeah, one of those angle iron towers would look a bit odd o n your Cat 22... likely wouldn't float your boat, might sink it.

Good decision... for you.

Jim
Well it is a catalina so it wouldnt take much to sink it.
Old 26-07-2014, 09:49   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Tree hugger!
Old 26-07-2014, 09:57   #100

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
We are on year 7 of full time living aboard off the dock (at Anchor or Mooring) so 100% of our power comes from Solar, Wind, or the Honda 2000i generator/ engine alternator. Even as the the owner of the KISS Wind Generator, I still tell people to put as much solar on their boat that they can fit FIRST and then if you have budget and room install a wind generator. To me it's a bang for the buck issue and even as the owner of a Wind Generator company, I still view Solar as the first choice.

Here's a look at our energy production data for the last two 28 months:
Solar has produced 57% of our power (first 250W, then 410W and now 1380W)
Wind has produced 28% of our Power
Honda 2000 and Alternator produced 15% of our Power

Now our cruising and live aboard grounds are on Mexico’s Pacific Coast, Sea of Cortez, and Morro Bay in California, which is not known as a windy area. Other than the useful percentages, what I think is important is that when one charging device was not putting out much power the other typically was, so there is some value in having power generating options rather than relying on one source.

It's great to be sitting on the boat at night in 20kts of wind and seeing Amps going into the battery bank, but it's also a bummer to be motoring across a dead calm Sea of Cortez and looking up at my $1500 wind generator/wind vane asking what's it doing up there! Right now, sitting here in the Morro Bay summer fog, my 1380Amps of solar is still putting out about 24Amps while my KISS is putting in 13-17Amps as the wind blows. So in the end, it's nice to have both because I was able to run my washing machine today from wind and solar.....nice.....
Lots of solar first then wind with diesel generator for the times when wind and solar aren't producing seems to be the prevailing advice that makes sense.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 26-07-2014, 11:08   #101
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
That's called a sail

Scot McPherson
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 11:42   #102

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

We have an alternator, solar and 2kw gas generator. I still want to get a wind generator. Might not be a good way to spend the money, but I like redundancy.

As for the noise, I'd rather hear a wind gen running than banging halyards.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 12:26   #103

There is an interesting video floating around the internet about a young boy that sailed alone, nonstop RTW. He had comunications back home almost all of the time, and he video-taped enough to make a 1 hour movie out of it. He had solar panels, and a wind generator. I dont remember if he even had an engine in the boat. In one part of the movie, he shows a broken solar panel, that a wave damaged. He had 2 solar panels, so he still had one working. In another part of the movie, it shows the boy (17 years old???) down below with everything wet, and a very depressed mood (understandable) , and there is a horrible noise in the background. It sounded like a wailing banshee. I finally figured out that it was his wind generator. To be in lousy conditions, with everything soaked, and to have to listen to that howl, would be enough to put almost anyone over the edge. I guess you can get used to anything, but the noise would have to have a negative effect on a person. It is a good movie for people that think single handing around the world is a romantic idea. Just my 2 cents worth. ______Grant.
Old 26-07-2014, 12:41   #104

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

My silentwind is pretty darn quiet. You can't hear it from 20 feet away and it gets quieter the faster the wind blows.

The service I got directly from the company was top notch - mine was shipped with bad bearings and they replaced it "no questions asked".

For claimed output, they have updated their graph to what I would call real world... because its matching what I am seeing.
Old 26-07-2014, 14:03   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
I bought one of these specifically to measure wind speed at the WG. Its been a great tool in that I now have a much more accurate measure of how fast the wind is moving at the wind generator.

Vaavud - Wind Meter for Smartphones

For me, it was great at diagnosing that I really did have a bad wind generator and that it really wasn't starting up at the claimed speed, nor was it producing the claimed output.
I've taken wind measurements at the wind turbine and posted the results near the meter for 15 and 20 knot winds. I gave up on repairing the masthead unit after the second repair bill. Love to make fuel (energy) for my electric propulsion system while underway too: THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: HAPPY AT THE HELM!

Last week I needed water so at dusk I dropped off the mooring used my electric propulsion to motor across the harbor to the dock and back. Sometime during the night the wind kicked up and by 8:45 am the battery bank was fully recharged. Fuel cost $0.00!

Tags
generator, wind, wind generator

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: