Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2015, 19:14   #16

Boat: csy 37
Re: Are Trojans that much better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
I realize now that you guys are talking flooded batteries. I haven't used one of those in a boat in 15 years.
I like flooded. For one thing you can take hydrometer readings with them. And checking the water levels every couple of weeks gives me a chance to check connections and general condition.
But my battery bank is very accessible. Wouldnt be as much 'fun' if I had to take the boat apart to get to them.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 07:25   #17

Not many local suppliers of 6V batteries in CT and they are all more expensive than prices referred to here. I don't find anything like 6v batteries on Costco's website. Where should I be looking?
rha9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 07:27   #18

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbudd View Post
I am replacing the house batteries in my boat. I have decided to go with flooded golf cart batteries. I can buy Trojan T-105s foR $150 each and generics (Duracell) with the same capacity and the same weight from Sam's club for $80 each. Are the Trojans worth almost twice the money? Will they last twice as long ? I will be charging them with an externally regulated Balmer alternator and a Xantrex trucharge shore power charger. Any advice greatly appreciated.

When you say same capacity I assume you're referring to Amp.Hrs? When I purchased Trojan T-105's they had the highest Amp.Hr of any other battery in the store.
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 07:33   #19

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Please tell me where to get the $100 trojans on the st. Pete area.

$150 is the best I can find as well.
Old 24-06-2015, 07:36   #20

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbudd View Post
I am replacing the house batteries in my boat. I have decided to go with flooded golf cart batteries. I can buy Trojan T-105s foR $150 each and generics (Duracell) with the same capacity and the same weight from Sam's club for $80 each. Are the Trojans worth almost twice the money? Will they last twice as long ? I will be charging them with an externally regulated Balmer alternator and a Xantrex trucharge shore power charger. Any advice greatly appreciated.
I paid less for Trojan T-105's delivered to my boat at the dock in Alaska... much less... So shop around before finishing your comparison.

Also, up here SAM's tacks on a $15 core charge per battery. I mention this in case it is a factor. ($95 vs. $80 each...) That means I only paid a 15% premium for Trojans, and they delivered and hauled off the 8 batteries I was replacing. No brainer for me.

No matter the brand, if you abuse them you will not get your money's worth.

Here is my blog post from last year including why I decided to replace Trojans with Trojans... (and price was a factor...)

Have fun with your project and I hope you find better, more competitive pricing!
Old 24-06-2015, 07:56   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rha9 View Post
Not many local suppliers of 6V batteries in CT and they are all more expensive than prices referred to here. I don't find anything like 6v batteries on Costco's website. Where should I be looking?
They never list them on the website, but they should be available in the automotive section, with all of the other batteries. You can call the local stores to verify instead of driving around.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 08:03   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlib2 View Post
When you say same capacity I assume you're referring to Amp.Hrs? When I purchased Trojan T-105's they had the highest Amp.Hr of any other battery in the store.
T105s are rated at 225AH at the 20 hr rate by Trojan, GC2-XHDs are rated at 232AH by Interstate.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 08:17   #23

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

In CT you can try Positive Battery in East Hartford or Midstate battery in Bloomfield. Also as mentioned call around to the club stores (BJ's SAMS COSTCO) ask for the tire dept they can usually check what batteries they have in stock.
Old 24-06-2015, 08:18   #24

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
I like flooded. For one thing you can take hydrometer readings with them. And checking the water levels every couple of weeks gives me a chance to check connections and general condition.
But my battery bank is very accessible. Wouldnt be as much 'fun' if I had to take the boat apart to get to them.
I like AGM's. They are sealed - so nothing to check. They don't leak acid when turned on their side either (although in a cat, I guess that would be upside down.) I know that they are working because my MPPT display shows how many amp-hours were used overnight, how much is being channeled in by the solars in the morning, and by about noon the display starts blinking showing full charge and back to float. If they work like the last set, this will go on for 12 years and then I will change the three of them again. Which is relatively easy because they are in cabinets behind the seat backs in the salon (saloon?). Downside to AGM is expense, as far as my experience. Not break-the-bank like Lithiums, but not cheap like lead acid.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 08:22   #25

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
Here is my blog post from last year including why I decided to replace Trojans with Trojans... (and price was a factor...)
Wow, you use 120 amp-hours overnight?
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 08:25   #26

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

When doing these types of cost comparisons, one of the most often forgotten attributes to manufacturers like Trojan and Lifeline is that they produce a large assortment of batteries in widely differing sizes. If, like me, you had a space only x by y by z in size then you will probably be able to find batteries that allow you to maximize your amp/hrs in that given space - you won't find this in interstate or deka or any of those other manufacturers.

For me, yes the Interstate or Deka batteries would be significantly cheaper but I could not place them in the space we have and get all the amp/hrs we have. So, we paid a bit more but we have an additional 80-100 amp/hrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
Wow, you use 120 amp-hours overnight?
We use way more than that if you include passages and the new Engel freezer we added (we now have a large fridge/freezer and the Engel). We are probably consuming close to 180 overnight!
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 08:51   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
T105s are rated at 225AH at the 20 hr rate by Trojan, GC2-XHDs are rated at 232AH by Interstate.
When discussing Trojans and amp hour capacity, I never see the other Trojan golf car batteries mentioned, just the T105's. Why not?

The T605's have a capacity of 232 amp hours and the T125's have a capacity of 240, and both are exactly the same dimensions as the T105, although the T125 is heavier. Then, with the same footprint, but maybe .8 inches taller and heavier still, there is the T145, which, I believe, holds either 267 or 287 amp hours.

My battery space is limited by height, so I go with the T125's. They are often not in stock, but are easily obtained.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 09:06   #28
Marine Service Provider

I am a huge fan of Dekka . They lasted much longer than my last Trojans. Trojans failed 14 month after installation with NO help from either Trojan or the retailer.

never again!
svJasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 17:33   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post

I'm on the east coast of Florida. Maybe look on Trojans website and find a dealer over there.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
OnTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 17:39   #30

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post

Affordable Carts - Home

Ft. Myers may be worth the drive.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote