Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-07-2015, 15:25   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 46' custom cat
Re: Are all brushless fans ignition protected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I believe the formation of hydrogen gas is actually pretty low, and assuming your vent hose is at the top of the compartment and running uphill, you won't get any gas to accumulate even without a fan?
This is the concept I have been operating under since I installed the electrical system and I think I will just stick with it and avoid fans altogether. If it ain't broke...

I do like the idea of a gas-reducing/water-saving cap like Roy is using and will take a close look at the Hydrocap or Water Miser.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have cookies.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 16:12   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Philip Rhodes Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I believe the formation of hydrogen gas is actually pretty low, and assuming your vent hose is at the top of the compartment and running uphill, you won't get any gas to accumulate even without a fan?
I STRONGLY disagree. I had a battery on charge sitting out in the open on a work bench and a ceiling at least 6 feet above it. It exploded when I removed the charging cable without switching the charger off. I got showered with acid and immediately raced into the shower.

Later I went to clean up the work bench I found a 4 inch piece of the battery cover was wedged in the ceiling, it must have missed my head by less than an inch, I'm lucky to be alive and not blind.

It is not a danger to take lightly just because you have not experienced it.

Old 24-07-2015, 16:59   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andina Marie View Post
I STRONGLY disagree. I had a battery on charge sitting out in the open on a work bench and a ceiling at least 6 feet above it. It exploded when I removed the charging cable without switching the charger off. I got showered with acid and immediately raced into the shower.

Later I went to clean up the work bench I found a 4 inch piece of the battery cover was wedged in the ceiling, it must have missed my head by less than an inch, I'm lucky to be alive and not blind.

It is not a danger to take lightly just because you have not experienced it.
Wow.... I can see why you disagree! However there is extraction with any change of height from one end of the hose to the other. more than one thinks sometimes!
Most boats have unsealed battery boxes, it is surprising how few battery explosions occur. Even those stupid plastic battery boxes sold for boats are not designed to seal at all. But better safe than sorry I suppose.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 17:19   #19

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
Before I blow myself up (again) I thought I would ask this question. I have and enclosed box for my house bank with a 3" flexible hose leading to the outside for ventilation. I would like to add a small computer fan at the base of the hose/top of the box to help draw fumes out of the box. I know, I know; I'm supposed to put the fan down low and 'blow' the fumes out to reduce fire hazard, but it would be very difficult to completely seal the box and I don't want to blow H2 gas into the boat.

My question is, are brushless 12v computer fans considered 'ignition protected'?
If you blow the ventilation air through corrosion and ignition protection wont be an issue. You will potentially vent corrosive / flammable products in the interior. I wouldn't do that.

You could suck the fumes out. No issues with interior venting. Your fan will be exposed to corrosive products and potentially some hydrogen.

But i must ask why do you need to vent your battery compartment using forced air? Seems like overkill for a house bank. Are you boiling the ocean down there.

Just having the vent tube, maybe an inlet and an outlet with a forced air scoop should be sufficient.

Our 675 Ahr 6 x 6V trojan house bank never causes any issues.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 24-07-2015, 17:22   #20

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
This is the concept I have been operating under since I installed the electrical system and I think I will just stick with it and avoid fans altogether. If it ain't broke...

I do like the idea of a gas-reducing/water-saving cap like Roy is using and will take a close look at the Hydrocap or Water Miser.
We found those recombining caps to be useless. The trojan remote watering system works a treat. They've cut our weekly distilled water consumption by half and its much simpler to topup the trojans.

Old 24-07-2015, 17:35   #21
Guy

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
If you blow the ventilation air through corrosion and ignition protection wont be an issue. You will potentially vent corrosive / flammable products in the interior. I wouldn't do that.

You could suck the fumes out. No issues with interior venting. Your fan will be exposed to corrosive products and potentially some hydrogen.

But i must ask why do you need to vent your battery compartment using forced air? Seems like overkill for a house bank. Are you boiling the ocean down there.

Just having the vent tube, maybe an inlet and an outlet with a forced air scoop should be sufficient.

Our 675 Ahr 6 x 6V trojan house bank never causes any issues.

Unless you can get your boat going 100 knots, vent tubes with a scoop won't do much good. There are actually guidelines for venting battery boxes with air flow but they all require some foreword speed and both the inlet and outlet need to be in the air stream.
Old 25-07-2015, 08:53   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 46' custom cat

Quote:
We found those recombining caps to be useless. The trojan remote watering system works a treat. They've cut our weekly distilled water consumption by half and its much simpler to topup the trojans.

I got a Trojan remote watering system for my batteries several months ago. Turns out you can't use them on Trojan "Plus" batteries. Sigh. I have kept it though, secure in the knowledge that I will eventually murder my batteries and can then replace them with 'standard' Trojans.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have cookies.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 07:53   #23
Zil

I have witnessed two, and heard first hand of another wet battery exploding. All were under "fast" charge and boiling. The hydrogen ignited at the battery and exploded in the cell. The key was the heavy charge and an ignition at the top of the battery, not a few feet away.
Old 28-07-2015, 08:54   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Quote:
I've been using them for over twenty years and found them to be so good I have to remember to check a couple times a year that it's time to add a tablespoon of water. Which is considerably less bother or work than you are experiencing. But then, I guess the words "useless" and "weekly distilled water consumption" mean something else to you. Your results obviously vary.

Tags
rot

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: