Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2015, 15:25   #16
Senior Cruiser
 
mikereed100's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Santa Barbara
Boat: 46' custom cat
Posts: 1,573
Images: 2
Re: Are all brushless fans ignition protected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I believe the formation of hydrogen gas is actually pretty low, and assuming your vent hose is at the top of the compartment and running uphill, you won't get any gas to accumulate even without a fan?
This is the concept I have been operating under since I installed the electrical system and I think I will just stick with it and avoid fans altogether. If it ain't broke...

I do like the idea of a gas-reducing/water-saving cap like Roy is using and will take a close look at the Hydrocap or Water Miser.
__________________

__________________
Mike

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have cookies.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 16:12   #17
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: South Carolina
Boat: Philip Rhodes Custom
Posts: 395
Re: Are all brushless fans ignition protected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I believe the formation of hydrogen gas is actually pretty low, and assuming your vent hose is at the top of the compartment and running uphill, you won't get any gas to accumulate even without a fan?
I STRONGLY disagree. I had a battery on charge sitting out in the open on a work bench and a ceiling at least 6 feet above it. It exploded when I removed the charging cable without switching the charger off. I got showered with acid and immediately raced into the shower.

Later I went to clean up the work bench I found a 4 inch piece of the battery cover was wedged in the ceiling, it must have missed my head by less than an inch, I'm lucky to be alive and not blind.

It is not a danger to take lightly just because you have not experienced it.
__________________

__________________
Andina Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 16:59   #18
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,372
Re: Are all brushless fans ignition protected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andina Marie View Post
I STRONGLY disagree. I had a battery on charge sitting out in the open on a work bench and a ceiling at least 6 feet above it. It exploded when I removed the charging cable without switching the charger off. I got showered with acid and immediately raced into the shower.

Later I went to clean up the work bench I found a 4 inch piece of the battery cover was wedged in the ceiling, it must have missed my head by less than an inch, I'm lucky to be alive and not blind.

It is not a danger to take lightly just because you have not experienced it.
Wow.... I can see why you disagree! However there is extraction with any change of height from one end of the hose to the other. more than one thinks sometimes!
Most boats have unsealed battery boxes, it is surprising how few battery explosions occur. Even those stupid plastic battery boxes sold for boats are not designed to seal at all. But better safe than sorry I suppose.
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 17:19   #19
Registered User
 
leftbrainstuff's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: San Francisco and Australia
Boat: Liberty 458
Posts: 1,979
Re: Are all brushless fans ignition protected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
Before I blow myself up (again) I thought I would ask this question. I have and enclosed box for my house bank with a 3" flexible hose leading to the outside for ventilation. I would like to add a small computer fan at the base of the hose/top of the box to help draw fumes out of the box. I know, I know; I'm supposed to put the fan down low and 'blow' the fumes out to reduce fire hazard, but it would be very difficult to completely seal the box and I don't want to blow H2 gas into the boat.

My question is, are brushless 12v computer fans considered 'ignition protected'?
If you blow the ventilation air through corrosion and ignition protection wont be an issue. You will potentially vent corrosive / flammable products in the interior. I wouldn't do that.

You could suck the fumes out. No issues with interior venting. Your fan will be exposed to corrosive products and potentially some hydrogen.

But i must ask why do you need to vent your battery compartment using forced air? Seems like overkill for a house bank. Are you boiling the ocean down there.

Just having the vent tube, maybe an inlet and an outlet with a forced air scoop should be sufficient.

Our 675 Ahr 6 x 6V trojan house bank never causes any issues.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 17:22   #20
Registered User
 
leftbrainstuff's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: San Francisco and Australia
Boat: Liberty 458
Posts: 1,979
Re: Are all brushless fans ignition protected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
This is the concept I have been operating under since I installed the electrical system and I think I will just stick with it and avoid fans altogether. If it ain't broke...

I do like the idea of a gas-reducing/water-saving cap like Roy is using and will take a close look at the Hydrocap or Water Miser.
We found those recombining caps to be useless. The trojan remote watering system works a treat. They've cut our weekly distilled water consumption by half and its much simpler to topup the trojans.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 17:35   #21
Guy
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: So. Oregon, USA
Boat: Seafarer36c
Posts: 4,308
Re: Are all brushless fans ignition protected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
If you blow the ventilation air through corrosion and ignition protection wont be an issue. You will potentially vent corrosive / flammable products in the interior. I wouldn't do that.

You could suck the fumes out. No issues with interior venting. Your fan will be exposed to corrosive products and potentially some hydrogen.

But i must ask why do you need to vent your battery compartment using forced air? Seems like overkill for a house bank. Are you boiling the ocean down there.

Just having the vent tube, maybe an inlet and an outlet with a forced air scoop should be sufficient.

Our 675 Ahr 6 x 6V trojan house bank never causes any issues.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Unless you can get your boat going 100 knots, vent tubes with a scoop won't do much good. There are actually guidelines for venting battery boxes with air flow but they all require some foreword speed and both the inlet and outlet need to be in the air stream.
__________________
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 08:53   #22
Senior Cruiser
 
mikereed100's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Santa Barbara
Boat: 46' custom cat
Posts: 1,573
Images: 2
Re: Are all brushless fans ignition protected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
We found those recombining caps to be useless. The trojan remote watering system works a treat. They've cut our weekly distilled water consumption by half and its much simpler to topup the trojans.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I got a Trojan remote watering system for my batteries several months ago. Turns out you can't use them on Trojan "Plus" batteries. Sigh. I have kept it though, secure in the knowledge that I will eventually murder my batteries and can then replace them with 'standard' Trojans.
__________________
Mike

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have cookies.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 07:53   #23
Zil
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 239
Re: Are all brushless fans ignition protected?

I have witnessed two, and heard first hand of another wet battery exploding. All were under "fast" charge and boiling. The hydrogen ignited at the battery and exploded in the cell. The key was the heavy charge and an ignition at the top of the battery, not a few feet away.
__________________
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 08:54   #24
Senior Cruiser
 
Roy M's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Southwestern Yacht Club, San Diego, CA
Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Posts: 3,042
Images: 4
Re: Are all brushless fans ignition protected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
We found those recombining caps to be useless. The trojan remote watering system works a treat. They've cut our weekly distilled water consumption by half and its much simpler to topup the trojans.
I've been using them for over twenty years and found them to be so good I have to remember to check a couple times a year that it's time to add a tablespoon of water. Which is considerably less bother or work than you are experiencing. But then, I guess the words "useless" and "weekly distilled water consumption" mean something else to you. Your results obviously vary.
__________________

__________________
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rot

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hella Fans Caframo Fans Brushless Fans cat man do Construction, Maintenance & Refit 37 05-09-2012 01:45
Protected Anchorage in Toms River, NJ AYF Atlantic & the Caribbean 3 06-09-2009 08:49
Ignition Key Turns All-the-Way 'Round Joe500 Engines and Propulsion Systems 7 25-07-2009 13:08
adequate protected reserve bouyancy schoonerdog Multihull Sailboats 5 12-10-2006 06:19



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:24.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.