Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2010, 00:54   #1

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus
AquAir Experiences ?

Does anyone have any first hand experiences from the Aquair Ampair microwind, microhydro, and small wind power systems. combined wind/water generator? We can't mount a conventional wind generator anywhere but high up on the mizzen mast, and I don't want it there for various reasons; it wouldn't be effective in the trade winds, it would be hard to reach, it would be mounted directly above our cabin where we sleep (admiral is allergic to noice, including my snoring ) and it would add extra weight to an already heavy mast.

Solar panels are out of the question for space/effectiveness/cost reasons. Using towed generator only would be fine for passages but not for when we are anchored or moored.

There are several combined wind/water turbines but only a few offer a way of mounting it as a wind generator that doesn't involve poles. Out of the ones that offer this feature, only the Aquair is reasonably priced.

It offers a hoist in rigging kit. Benefits would be; no fixed pole, easy to access and it could be hoisted in the forward triangle where the wind is best while anchored and it's also as far away from our sleeping compartments as possible.

The only other option I've found is the Water and Wind Marine Generators, Welcome to DuoGen
It produces a lot more power but from the price tag you'd think it's made from solid gold and it's above our budget.

So, does anyone have first, second or even third hand experience with aquiar/ampair?

/Hampus
Old 02-03-2012, 06:53   #2

Re: AquAir Experiences ?

Im looking for first hand experience as well. Espesially as a wind generator.

Still no one with experience ? Or maybe Hampus has experience to share now :-)

/Erik.
EddyBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 13:41   #3

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyBody View Post
Im looking for first hand experience as well. Espesially as a wind generator.

Still no one with experience ? Or maybe Hampus has experience to share now :-)

/Erik.
Unfortunately, I do have experience with it. It does work as a towing generator, but it doesn't reach the specified power.

As a wind generator it's totally useless but quiet. It's supposed to output 2A at 10 knots if I remember correctly. We didn't get more than 0.6 from it. The most we ever saw was 1.3 and then there was a lot more wind than 10 knots. We also bought the regulator with it, but it was broken when we got it.

Conclusion: don't buy one.

/Hampus
Old 04-03-2012, 14:18   #4

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Had one for yrs, A guy gave me the water genny part ! said the darn wind gen was a piece of (you know what)! and he did not like to tow it ! worked fine for me for yrs ! Sold it with the Colvin ! Thats all I know about them Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote