Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2016, 13:07   #1
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Anyone used Kingsolar 120 watt flex panels?

I'm looking at getting rid of the hodge podge of rigid solar panels on the boat and have been looking at replacing them with (8) of the (link) 'Kingsolar' 120 watt flexible panels that Amazon is flogging.

I've also been looking at AliExpress, and their 150 watt panels. These actually fit our boat top a little better than the 120's.

I would basically be completely replacing a hard top with solar panels. and even have room for a couple more. But I think 8 would do it.

Anyone have any experience with these particular panels?
Old 10-01-2016, 13:58   #2

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Anyone used Kingsolar 120 watt flex panels?

Thanks for the link! I ordered a couple to replace a rigid 120 on my stern arch.
Double the output of the old one with a lot less weight!
Along with a couple of existing Aurinco 100's, I'll never even have to think about power use.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 17:38   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
I'm looking at getting rid of the hodge podge of rigid solar panels on the boat and have been looking at replacing them with (8) of the (link) 'Kingsolar' 120 watt flexible panels that Amazon is flogging.

I've also been looking at AliExpress, and their 150 watt panels. These actually fit our boat top a little better than the 120's.

I would basically be completely replacing a hard top with solar panels. and even have room for a couple more. But I think 8 would do it.

Anyone have any experience with these particular panels?
I saw today on Ali Express 300w flexible solar. I'm amazed at the advances in flex and semi flex panels. Great option considering as you say the huge weight difference between rigid panels.

Chaya
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 19:08   #4

The main difference to consider between rigid and flexible besides weight and cost is, walkability. Most of the flexible panels are not designed to be tread upon and would be slippery when wet. Both my Aurinco 100's on the amas are a bit slippery when wet, but can handle normal boat shoes and normal deck use. I wouldn't want to drop anything like a winch handle or any heavy tool on them.
All the cheaper flex panels I've personally seen are not even in the same category imho.
Power? yes. Flexible, yes. Slippery when wet? yes. Traffic? no.

Ayn Rand
Old 11-01-2016, 04:29   #5
One of Those

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
I saw today on Ali Express 300w flexible solar. I'm amazed at the advances in flex and semi flex panels. Great option considering as you say the huge weight difference between rigid panels.

Chaya

I saw those, too. I could also easily ( don't you love that term, 'easily' just thrown out there by someone like me who should KNOW better by now) fit four of those 76 x 42 inch panels on the hard top. I see the efficiency is listed as 19% whereas some of the smallers ones are touting 22-23%. Makes me wonder if one group is being honest, or if there is a common fudge factor to be subtracted from all of them.

Also, I wonder if a larger quantity of smaller panels would be a better choice in partial shading situations. A portion of a 300 watt panel shaded, vs a portion of one of three 100 watt panels shaded etc.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:49   #6

More smaller ones is better if shade is a factor.
Parallel connections too.

Ayn Rand
Old 11-01-2016, 12:13   #7

Quote:
I saw those, too. I could also easily ( don't you love that term, 'easily' just thrown out there by someone like me who should KNOW better by now) fit four of those 76 x 42 inch panels on the hard top. I see the efficiency is listed as 19% whereas some of the smallers ones are touting 22-23%. Makes me wonder if one group is being honest, or if there is a common fudge factor to be subtracted from all of them.

Also, I wonder if a larger quantity of smaller panels would be a better choice in partial shading situations. A portion of a 300 watt panel shaded, vs a portion of one of three 100 watt panels shaded etc.
Good point. But more smaller would complicate the wiring a lot I would think. I'm going to try to mount without shading on the stern away from the boom. But it's worthwhile looking at different smaller ones that can be wired separately for forward areas that will get intermittent shadding.

Max out the rear with no shading and smaller with clever wiring in parts that will get shading during the course of the day.

I'm looking at being a huge energy hog so I'm looking at max to the max.

Regards,
Chaya
Old 11-01-2016, 12:14   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
More smaller ones is better if shade is a factor.
Parallel connections too.
It's the wiring that is the devil.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:28   #9
One of Those

Well, we probably don't NEED 1.2 kilotwatts, but I figure that they'll rarely meet that spec in the real world. Mounted facing upwards instead of directly at the sun. At least two of them being partially shaded some times. Cloudy days, etc. So if I stared with 1200 watts (avertised) and ended up with 800 watts actual, I think we could live with that. We've got 800 watts of hodgepodge mix of glass panels now, running througha MPPT and a PWM.

I haven't yet found a price on the 300 watt ones.

Looking for a Lagoon 56?? wow. A 44 just pulled into the marina next to us. You SURE that ain't big enough? I get a nose bleed just looking up at the cockpit on that thing.
Old 11-01-2016, 13:32   #10

Boat: Shannon 38

Has anyone had success mounting flexible panels on a canvas bimini?
Joyful Noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 19:59   #11

Boat: Robinhood -- 36

We mounted two Solbian 112 watt panels on our bimini with velcro three years ago, and have had absolutely no problems so far. They didn't tear off last spring when we endured an hour and a half of 50 knot sustained wind, and about 10 minutes of 65 knot sustained, so I guess velcro works.
Miker1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 20:17   #12

Quote:
Well, we probably don't NEED 1.2 kilotwatts, but I figure that they'll rarely meet that spec in the real world. Mounted facing upwards instead of directly at the sun. At least two of them being partially shaded some times. Cloudy days, etc. So if I stared with 1200 watts (avertised) and ended up with 800 watts actual, I think we could live with that. We've got 800 watts of hodgepodge mix of glass panels now, running througha MPPT and a PWM.

I haven't yet found a price on the 300 watt ones.

Looking for a Lagoon 56?? wow. A 44 just pulled into the marina next to us. You SURE that ain't big enough? I get a nose bleed just looking up at the cockpit on that thing.
I know. If I was being rational about it I would be buying a Lagoon 450. But who says buying a boat is rational in the first place. :-)
Old 12-01-2016, 05:08   #13
One of Those

Funny you should say that. We met the owners of the Lagoon 44 last night at the bar here at South Side Marina. Brazilian couple, who cruise 3 months a year. Boat is registered in Belize but they've never been there. Boat is "Lifeaholic II" And HE wants to sell the 44 and buy a 45.

Seems like a lot of hassle to go through for another foot in length.

We talked to two cruisers who came through here last season in new Lagoons. They both independently told me the same thing. That yes, they would buy another Lagoon but neither one of them would EVER buy a new Lagoon.
Old 12-01-2016, 14:40   #14

Quote:
Funny you should say that. We met the owners of the Lagoon 44 last night at the bar here at South Side Marina. Brazilian couple, who cruise 3 months a year. Boat is registered in Belize but they've never been there. Boat is "Lifeaholic II" And HE wants to sell the 44 and buy a 45.

Seems like a lot of hassle to go through for another foot in length.

We talked to two cruisers who came through here last season in new Lagoons. They both independently told me the same thing. That yes, they would buy another Lagoon but neither one of them would EVER buy a new Lagoon.
I know Canibul. I've heard some pretty horrible stories of defects of new out of the factory Lagoons. And stories of horrible dealer factory warranty repairs. The picture I'm forming from reading reports on CF is that the manufacturer isn't either policing their dealer network properly to ensure the dealers deliver proper service or the manufacturer is not backing up the dealers on repairs. But again based on reports all is not well in the new build department.

Regards,
Chaya
Old 13-01-2016, 08:15   #15
One of Those

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker1944 View Post
We mounted two Solbian 112 watt panels on our bimini with velcro three years ago, and have had absolutely no problems so far. They didn't tear off last spring when we endured an hour and a half of 50 knot sustained wind, and about 10 minutes of 65 knot sustained, so I guess velcro works.
This is along the lines of what I was planning. Did you use the adhesive hook and loop/Velcro stuff on both sides? Or did you sew it to the bimini, stick it to the panel? Is your bimini cloth like Sunbrella or hard?

Tags
panels, solar