Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2018, 16:53   #1

Boat: 1970 hinckley 38 / 1975 john alden boothbay challenger 58
Anyone Ever Used Macris Underwater Lights?

Hey guys, let’s talk about underwater lights for a minute. Friend asked me today about installing some macris underwater lights for him. I’ve installed several sets of ocean LED underwater lights for people but Macris is a brand I’ve never heard of. their mounting method of a wide contact area and a strong adhesive rather than mechanical fasteners is interesting. anyone have any firsthand experience with the company and/or their products?
frozenhawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:03   #2

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A
Re: Anyone Ever Used Macris Underwater Lights?

I have seen several installed and they looked pretty good. Haven't installed one myself. They are based in CT as I recall.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:16   #3

The Macris installation video looks like a lot of sanding and then drilling wire holes, even when using adhesive. A single wire hole or a couple of small bolt holes still involve hull penetration. If actually using adhesive with all the extra sanding work needed, I'd be curious about the magnetic inductive lights that require NO hull penetration whatsoever.
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 14:10   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin A View Post
I have seen several installed and they looked pretty good. Haven't installed one myself. They are based in CT as I recall.
yeah it's nice that they're based up here in new england. the units looks very sleek and slim, imagine they'd be fine below the waterline, one small hole for a wire run isn't so bad compared to other units that require a 2-3in hole like some of the thru hull style lights require. personally I think putting more holes int he hull just to have underwater lights is silly and wouldn't do it to my boat but hety, some people really like them and I'll admit they do look very cool.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:32   #5

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

I don't understand why someone would put a hole in their hull to have some silly underwater light. Seems like something for the center console crowd.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:17   #6

Boat: Leopard 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenhawaiian View Post
Hey guys, let’s talk about underwater lights for a minute. Friend asked me today about installing some macris underwater lights for him. I’ve installed several sets of ocean LED underwater lights for people but Macris is a brand I’ve never heard of. their mounting method of a wide contact area and a strong adhesive rather than mechanical fasteners is interesting. anyone have any firsthand experience with the company and/or their products?
I installed a pair about 10 months ago and they've worked perfectly.
Old 10-02-2018, 16:21   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfadler View Post
I installed a pair about 10 months ago and they've worked perfectly.
where on the hull did you install them and how well have they held up?
Old 10-02-2018, 16:33   #8

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Do you plan to assist with the underwater viewing port installation as well? My comment was on the snarky side, but I truly wonder why one might have such lights unless you are fishing for squid. Yes, I realize some put colored light in the wheel wells of their cars. Heck, I might have done so if they had existed in my youth. Do the lights assist or detract from the enjoyment of phosphorescent events such as a red tide?
Old 10-02-2018, 17:39   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
Do you plan to assist with the underwater viewing port installation as well? My comment was on the snarky side, but I truly wonder why one might have such lights unless you are fishing for squid. Yes, I realize some put colored light in the wheel wells of their cars. Heck, I might have done so if they had existed in my youth. Do the lights assist or detract from the enjoyment of phosphorescent events such as a red tide?
not for me to know, frankly I don't care particularly. I've installed underwater lights for people before and they've enjoyed them. I've worked on yachts that had them and the water around the boat all lit up does look cool, so i guess people have them for aesthetics.
Old 10-02-2018, 18:22   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
Yes, I realize some put colored light in the wheel wells of their cars. Heck, I might have done so if they had existed in my youth.
I once had your exact perspective, with a special same smirk reserved for pickup trucks floating on purple light.
HOWEVER
I had to check that smirk recently.

We spent one calm evening last year on a friend's anchored catamaran surrounded by the illuminated warm sea. Their lights were white only, and bright. My smirk turned into a grin by the end of the evening. The kids swam around with the fish until late in the evening (until a shark cruised by). The entire scene was as relaxing as an evening by the pool. Would you sit around a pool with the lights off? Well, sure, but you would be missing the mesmerizing glow of the water.

I'm not a fan of the disco colors, but to bring a night pool along with your cruising is awesome- especially with kids. The sea is beautiful at night and fish gazing is a great pastime while enjoying a post-sundown sundowner, IMO.
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 22:37   #11

Boat: Leopard 43

On a sailing catamaran. One light on each hull near the stern. I found a convenient location where there was easy access from the inside yet far enough down that they pointed at about a 45 degree angle. The idea was to light up the area between the two hulls.

As for the snarky comments... I think Cyan hit it on the head. The Macris lights make the cost of the project reasonable.
Old 11-02-2018, 21:47   #12

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Are you certain you're not using those lights to attract fish for the pan???
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 20:05   #13

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
I once had your exact perspective, with a special same smirk reserved for pickup trucks floating on purple light.
HOWEVER
I had to check that smirk recently.

We spent one calm evening last year on a friend's anchored catamaran surrounded by the illuminated warm sea. Their lights were white only, and bright. My smirk turned into a grin by the end of the evening. The kids swam around with the fish until late in the evening (until a shark cruised by). The entire scene was as relaxing as an evening by the pool. Would you sit around a pool with the lights off? Well, sure, but you would be missing the mesmerizing glow of the water.

I'm not a fan of the disco colors, but to bring a night pool along with your cruising is awesome- especially with kids. The sea is beautiful at night and fish gazing is a great pastime while enjoying a post-sundown sundowner, IMO.
Nicely put, with a reasoned perspective.

We have been thinking of adding lights for similar reasons. A quiet bay at night, floating in a pool of light at the stern, with fish attracted there for us to enjoy sounds like another enhancement of what many of us go cruising for. Not sure if I would want to jump in though - as you pointed out, there may be are bigger fish lurking in the shadows!.

On our regular marina walk during evenings in Nth Africa, there was one boat that always had white light in the water at his stern - great to see the fish milling around there. Back in the Med, we see the superyachts typically floating in blue light. Nice, but not for us, and a bit 'wannabe'. But more subtle and appropriate might be nice.

If anyone can advise for a 50' mono if two lights shining down - one either side of the stern area is sufficient to illuminate the water around the stern, that advice would be appreciated.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water