Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2009, 12:45   #1

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada
Ancor vs 3M Terminals

When I posted a thread asking about a discount source for Ancor terminals, one of the responding posters suggested I consider at 3M adhesive-lined terminals as an alternative to Ancor. I admit I had only used Ancor in the past, but while looking around for a discount source, I came across the 3M offerrings. In general, I have had good luck with 3M products, but have never used their electrical crimp terminals.

Has anyone had any experience with 3M terminals? Does anyone have suggestions for another quality manufacturer other than Ancor or 3M?
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:53   #2
Eternal Member

Steve,

We use both Ancor and 3M ring terminals, butt connectors, etc. Here's my take:

Ancor terminals are suitable for double-crimp treatment, using a special double-crimp tool. Generally, they are very good and are -- by themselves -- perhaps more robust than the 3M heat-shrink terminals.

The 3M heat shrink terminals require a special crimper also...one which will not damage the heat shrink (else, why use heat shrink terminals?). Once properly put on and heat-shrunk, they are pretty good. However, the connector barrels are too short for my liking, allowing only a single crimp. Also, you tend to spoil a few putting them on because the special crimper tends to slip as you execute the crimp. It slips up or down the barrel, sometimes even when you try to anticipate the slip and hold it tightly.

More in frustration than anything else, and with a sense of professional pride, I tend to use heavy adhesive-lined heat shrink tubing over BOTH types of connectors (yes, heat shrink over heat shrink in the case of the 3M terminals). This makes for a secure, water resistant, and reliable connection no matter which ring terminals you use.

FWIW,

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote