Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2010, 02:13   #1

Boat: 320 Catalina and a 16ft Scruffie " Oma Martha"
Anchor Winch Remote Control ?

Our anchor winch has two foot switches which are fitted above the v berth and look terrible from the inside with big box me guessing holding relays and bits. I was thinking it shouldn't be hard to use something like a garage door remote control and get rid of all the ugly bits on my bedroom ceiling.
I'm sure somebody here has done something like this or can point me in the right direction.
reiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:28   #2
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
i use a garage door remote, less then 10% of the cost of one from budget marine. But you will still need the box of relays and bits, and the footswitches. Cos sooner or later it will break. Very usefull though, especially solo.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 04:29   #3

Boat: Privilege 37
If you have a canbus system, I believe that the fitting of a wireless remote control is a simple matter - easier than fitting a remote switch at the helm.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:02   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42
See 3-Button Windlass Wireless Remote Control Kit . It works for us.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:50   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
I've never been a fan of wireless windlass controls, probably due to bad experiences with garage door openers, stereo/TV remotes, and radio controlled boats and cars.

I had the same unsightly problem. I installed a three pin high current waterproof connector in the chain locker bulkhead and used a 25' pendant with UP, DOWN, and STOP buttons on it. I plug the remote control in and have complete control over the windlass.

I also mounted a small control panel on the binnacle so I could control it from there. In all cases, these were hard wired controls. In the nearly decade since installation, the connectors and controls have worked with only one problem. On long passages, I sometimes forget where I stored the big remote.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:34   #6

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
I have a hard wired remote switch at my helm, and it has been a big help when singlehanding. I have all of the relays in a forward locker where they stay dry and have been reliable long term.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:05   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post

We do have a hard wired controler at the controol panel in the anchore locker should it be necessary. However, we have virtually used nothing but the wireless controller since we installed the windlass in 2006. It allows me to deploy and recover the anchor from anywhere on the boat and is especially convenient when I am alone. Never-the-less, different ships, different long splices, eh?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 05-09-2010, 10:17   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
I have a hard wired remote switch at my helm, and it has been a big help when singlehanding. I have all of the relays in a forward locker where they stay dry and have been reliable long term.
Sorry to everyone for the thread drift! But please do tell -- how (!) do you use a windlass remote at the helm?! I inherited such a device on our boat, and I have never used it. Anchoring is an intimate process for me according to my education and experience -- every aspect done from the bow, even if it means leaving the ship's dog at the helm. I can't even imagine what can be done with that switch at the helm. Please shed some light.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:11   #9

Assuming your windlass can power down chain as can ours, figure out how much chain it throws per second (ours is about 5 feet). When I anchor singlehandedly I figure depth from the bow-roller at my preferred spot, say 30 feet, let the yacht drift while I get the anchor on short stay and ready to drop, circle around and bring the bow to a stop at the desired point, hit the remote (I can see the windlass and bow roller from the helm) and count the seconds ("one-hippopatamus", "two-hippopatamus", etc) until I've paid out 6 seconds worth or about 30 feet of chain and laid the anchor on the bottom, then give the boat a burst of reverse and then every every other hippopatamus or so, give her another hyppopatamus of chain until I've paid out what I'm going to use--say 30 hippopatamus's worth for 5:1 in 30 feet. Likewise for the recovery although that's a tad slower as we let the windlass pull the yacht's head around to face the anchor and just give the boat short bursts of forward to ease the strain on the windlass which should only be lifting the chain and anchor, not hauling the yacht around, eh?

FWIW...
Old 05-09-2010, 13:31   #10

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
I like to be right there next to my winch watching the chain come up, can't imagine using a remote. I shredded a 1/2 inch steel cable once not paying attention.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 14:04   #11

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser
Garage remote is good for me with one recommendation. Run the receiver from a different battery than the winch because there will be a voltage drop that can cause the unit to malfunction. The different battery could be a small 12v just for the receiver if the boat does not have additional battery. I use the starter battery to power the receiver as the engines are normally running when getting anchor up.
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 00:25   #12

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine
Re: Anchor Winch Remote Control ?

Will the wireless signal work through aluminium hulled boats?
Old 08-08-2014, 18:11   #13

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine

Ahoy.

I installed an 8 dollar wireless remote and it works great. Even through aluminium hull.

The button remote on the cable died. Luckily the wireless remote works on.

Carry Spare batteries!

Fair winds from Keith.

Sent from my ThL W7 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 08-08-2014, 19:22   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo b View Post
I like to be right there next to my winch watching the chain come up, can't imagine using a remote. I shredded a 1/2 inch steel cable once not paying attention.
Agree with you on that. Our wildcat can't handle the 1/2 twist that results from the chain running over the roller on left or right edge of the rubber roller wheel. Once it has a twist, constant hand attention is required. Going down, I like to see the painted on color coding at 25 foot increments.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, remote