Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2014, 13:34   #1

Anchor Light Shutting Off!

I have an Aqua Signal mast top anchor light (incandescent), which was fitted with a Dr. LED bulb a couple years ago. It worked perfectly until now.

The problem is that the circuit breaker for that light switches off after about an hour, and won't stay on all night. According to my Xantrex LinkPro, the light is only drawing 0.10 amps, as it is supposed to. I believe the breaker is rated at 5 amps.

What is the probable cause of this? Do breakers go bad? The weather is dry and warm, so I don't suspect water is causing a short. I'm hoping to avoid climbing the mast.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Jbaffoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2014, 13:52   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Anchor Light Shutting Off!

breakers very definitely go bad, just not real often, but as that is just too easy to try as opposed to the other things I would try, I'd do a breaker first. If you don't have a spare, you should so even if it's not a breaker you haven't wasted money.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2014, 14:04   #3

I might have found the problem. This panel is mounted to a bulkhead that vibrates when motoring. I was able to tighten the connections to this breaker--considerably. After tightening, the current draw for that light is now vacillating between 0.10 and 0.20 (I think it's rated at 0.15). Clearly, it's getting more current after tightening. If it's that simple, then I'm embarrassed for starting the thread. If the light stays on for a few hours, then we'll know the answer.

Old 22-10-2014, 14:28   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Well, I can't see why tightening those connections will change the breaker tripping with less than 1/25th of its rated current flowing. And there is no reason for the current to vacillate. Something is afoot!

Jim
Old 22-10-2014, 17:45   #5

Anchor Light Shutting Off!

Thanks for the prompt replies, everyone!

It's fixed.

I'm not sure why the breaker was tripping; but, after tightening the terminals, it stays on as intended.

As for the vacillations, my battery monitor only displays a single decimal so rounding error is a factor. I've talked to Xantrex about this in the past. If there is any fluctuation either side of 0.05 amps, however tiny, the reading will fluctuate in 1/10 amp increments.

I don't think the fluctuation is in the light circuit, but that circuit, at 0.15 amps, puts me close to the line for rounding up or down. Rather, I think the fluctuation is in the normal boat load, which is also added to the monitor display. I had switched off the solar panel for these readings, and it usually displays a small load as the batteries settle after the trickle is removed.

(I didn't use the multimeter on this, just the house bank monitor--so I would expect some noise.)

Old 23-10-2014, 20:26   #6

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38
Question Re: Anchor Light Shutting Off!

Perhaps the loose connections generated enough heat to cause the breaker to trip prematurely.
pesarsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2014, 21:18   #7

Boat: csy 37

my anchor light turns off every morning but then mysteriously comes back on at night. Any suggestions?
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor