Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2014, 15:11   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Amp Air & Loctite

I have a set of bearings, seals and brushes to refit my 2003 Amp Air 100 wind generator. I've already brought it down from my mizzen because I noticed that it's making more noise that earlier.

When I inspected the blades I noticed that they were showing some deterioration. They even had a few shreads of fiber clumps hanging from the main body of the blades. I've ordered new blades, but I thought I wound continue my task of replacing the bearings. When I downloaded the manual I noticed thet the stator to body was adhered with Loctite 648 and bearings to body & bearings to shaft were adhered with Locktite were adhered with Loctite 641.

Opening the body appears to be as tough as cracking open a titanium Brazil nut! ...then I'm faced with the bearings adhered with loctite.

Should I ....

1) Replace the blades and remount the unit.
2) Open the body with a vise and lubricate the existing bearings.
3) Heat the bearings and pull them off & redo the whole unit.

The replacement for the whole thing is $1,395. I like it's function, but I do have solar panels and a 7KW diesel generator. I never have a lack of power. I'm leaning toward seeing if the new blades will suffice. Has anyone else here refit a post 2001 Amp Air 100?
Old 28-04-2014, 15:18   #2

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Re: Amp Air & Loctite

We had one I doubt that it ever put out more than 4 amps even after a rebuild. Not impressed with too many wind Genny,

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 16:08   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
We had one I doubt that it ever put out more than 4 amps even after a rebuild. Not impressed with too many wind Genny,

Sure, you're right; however I only need 3amps to operate all I need. My Amp Air has given me a steady 4 amps when the winds are up to 20 and the beauty is I can ignore it when I'm anchored in a tropical storm with the winds up to 85 and I'm thinking about other things. My question is not related to output. I have solar panels & a diesel generator. I also run my engine at times. I turned down several wind generators that put out more power than the Amp Air, but I chose quiet and low maintenance. I have not touched this unit in eleven years! So, the question is back to post one. Has anyone opened one of these? What's the deal with the Loctite?
Old 28-04-2014, 16:25   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
................ even after a rebuild. ...........
Whoa! Back up! A rebuild? So, you do have the info I want. What were your actions with the loctite on the shaft? Was your Amp Air the Pacifica 100 and the model after 2001? Did you replace the blades, shaft bearings, pivot bearings? Tell me more!
Old 28-04-2014, 16:40   #5

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

I just know it was an Amp air 100 I think it was. Pacifica installed new around 03-04 . the prior owners had paid $800. Or so to have it overhauled and I always thought it was light in the power output dept. They did replace the blades at one point even though ours had plenty of nicks and dings and one seemed slightly warped? Bit still functioned I know its nice to have free wind energy and 11 years of SVC is good but we have plenty of battery bank reserve now and if we had 4 days of dark well I guess I'd start the Genny or one of the engines. Sorry I can't contribute more .

Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 16:49   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks, the blades are $200 and the whole new unit is $1,395. I'll stick to a DIY attempt and just grease the bearings if they don't slide off. $800 with the blades would be a little more than 70% of the total value. Maybe I'll just put on th new blades and if I'm not satisfied , I'll crack open the "nut" myself. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 28-04-2014, 17:21   #7

Boat: Albin Vega 27'

Capt

Not knowing anything about wind genys but I'ld be surpised if you can grease the bearings. Most long term application bearings are sealed and you just replace them instead of servicing them. Also for loctite removal a little heat goes a long way, think propane torch not acytene:-)
Old 28-04-2014, 17:45   #8

Boat: 68 tartan 34c

I,ve always had luck with a little heat from a propane torch to loosen loctite. We have an Aquair 100 and had more problem with the salt and corrosion between the stainless bolts and aluminium case. Soaking in PB blaster helped.
exkma367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 18:07   #9

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'

If bearings are worn, you can feel it by pressing and turning shaft feeling for roughness. However, I would just replace bearing since you have it on the bench and a little heat does the trick.
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 18:14   #10

Boat: Liberty 458

Bearing mount loctite usually requires some heat or impact to dislodge. Impact isn't a good option on smaller assemblies like your wind gen.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 19:57   #11

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'

Be sure to get some grease on the seal and shaft it rides on. Otherwise, you will burn up the lip on the seal.
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 03:27   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwinds View Post
Be sure to get some grease on the seal and shaft it rides on. Otherwise, you will burn up the lip on the seal.
Thanks for this good advice!

I'll be off to a friend's shoreside workshop and vise. FedEx has my new blades in transit. I'll keep you guys posted of the outcome.