Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2019, 16:12   #31
cruiser

Boat: Custom steel bilge keel sloop, 32’4”
Re: Am i th only linatic to do this???

The only bird control solution I have ever seen which really works is to live aboard with a dog. I have a friend who does okay with two cats, but I see that as trading one pest species for a worse one.

The only uninvited wildlife I get are seals and flying fish. I eat the flying fish, don’t mind the seals so much though I do avoid having anything mounted to the deck which they can damage - they seem to love chewing on white plastic and rubber or PVC.

My dog goes everywhere I do, working, visiting... wherever. I’ve taken him on countless other boats and have had reports that, after an hour or two visiting, the birds stay away for a few weeks. I’ve also met other sailors who have dogs and still struggle with bird deposits and damage, but it works for me. Perhaps breed is a factor, but I’ve had four different dogs in the years I’ve been living aboard, all different breeds, and I’ve never had a problem with birds, rats, mice, or any other interloping species which the dog considers prey. My last boat was covered in bird droppings when I sold it a few weeks ago, but I hadn’t been aboard for over a year so I couldn’t say how low long it took for the effect to wear off. All I know is that the solar was so compromised that the 2 100watt solar panels were no longer up to the task of feeding the bilge pump, suggesting that when the birds returned, they made up for lost time.

If you don’t have access to a dog who can hang out on your boat fairly regularly and frequently, I’m unaware of any solution which works reliably. I’ve seen a shotgun work effectively at getting rid of crows on a farm (they don’t return to the blast funnel for at least a season), but I wouldn’t recommend that for keeping them off the masthead because sailing rigs aren’t usually equipped with ballistic protection. Another thing I noticed in my previous life as a farm hand is that nothing likes sitting on an electric fence. Many seabirds are equipped with electromagnetic field sensors for navigation - perhaps this is why they give electric fences a wide berth. Rotary milking sheds are driven by massive, high voltage electric motors and I’ve never noticed birds stealing the grain and molasses which are commonly used at stock attractors in most sheds in my country. There’s probably some way to employ an electromagnetic field to repel birds when the boat is left unattended, but a field powerful enough to be effective would probably mess with your electronics when in use.

I’m just spitballing now, but the dog thing definitely works.
Budgetadvisory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 16:54   #32

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budgetadvisory View Post
The only bird control solution I have ever seen which really works is to live aboard with a dog. I have a friend who does okay with two cats, but I see that as trading one pest species for a worse one.

The only uninvited wildlife I get are seals and flying fish. I eat the flying fish, don’t mind the seals so much though I do avoid having anything mounted to the deck which they can damage - they seem to love chewing on white plastic and rubber or PVC.

My dog goes everywhere I do, working, visiting... wherever. I’ve taken him on countless other boats and have had reports that, after an hour or two visiting, the birds stay away for a few weeks. I’ve also met other sailors who have dogs and still struggle with bird deposits and damage, but it works for me. Perhaps breed is a factor, but I’ve had four different dogs in the years I’ve been living aboard, all different breeds, and I’ve never had a problem with birds, rats, mice, or any other interloping species which the dog considers prey. My last boat was covered in bird droppings when I sold it a few weeks ago, but I hadn’t been aboard for over a year so I couldn’t say how low long it took for the effect to wear off. All I know is that the solar was so compromised that the 2 100watt solar panels were no longer up to the task of feeding the bilge pump, suggesting that when the birds returned, they made up for lost time.

If you don’t have access to a dog who can hang out on your boat fairly regularly and frequently, I’m unaware of any solution which works reliably. I’ve seen a shotgun work effectively at getting rid of crows on a farm (they don’t return to the blast funnel for at least a season), but I wouldn’t recommend that for keeping them off the masthead because sailing rigs aren’t usually equipped with ballistic protection. Another thing I noticed in my previous life as a farm hand is that nothing likes sitting on an electric fence. Many seabirds are equipped with electromagnetic field sensors for navigation - perhaps this is why they give electric fences a wide berth. Rotary milking sheds are driven by massive, high voltage electric motors and I’ve never noticed birds stealing the grain and molasses which are commonly used at stock attractors in most sheds in my country. There’s probably some way to employ an electromagnetic field to repel birds when the boat is left unattended, but a field powerful enough to be effective would probably mess with your electronics when in use.

I’m just spitballing now, but the dog thing definitely works.
Dog aboard to keep birds at bay?

Seems like "I see that as trading one pest species for a worse equally bad one" to me. (Dog hair, smell, DOG HAIR, daily trips to shore, poopy bags and plastic gloves, yukk!, Yapping when owner is not there, dog fights, poop on the dock....)

OK, seems like a lot of people coming to Mexico got the memo: You need a dog. The dogs have won. Be a little cuddly and you get fed, a place to sleep, cleaned up after, medical care, free! Just wag your tail and lick thier face. Everybody has one. many have two. Can't go to many countries, but OK, dog is more important then NZ.

But the boats around here with dogs don't seem to be any freer from birds than the boats without.

Now, Pirates. You aren't really a pirate, are you? Pirates actully kill, rob rape, and do mayhem. NO JOKE.

We've got a charity event run each year called "Pirates for Pupils" where the cruisers gather up money for school kids. Great event. Good cause. But we're trying to change it to "Pedephiles for Pupils". Same event, equally funny, and more approriate since they are all about kittle kids. Why not? Pedephiles aren't any worse than pirates.

How about ISIS for pupils?

You know, I don't have a gun but it is still legal to open fire on pirates in many countries.
Old 18-11-2019, 17:33   #33
cruiser

Boat: Custom steel bilge keel sloop, 32’4”

wingssail - I was only trying to help, advising what actually works for me. Your ignorant rant doesn’t help and I find the thing pedophiles quite offensive - two men are in prison for what they did to me, and others, when I was a child. The definition of a pirate is the master or crew of an unflagged ship, nothing to do with rape, robbery or mayhem.

Please stop endorsing pedoplilia, even in jest (it’s not funny). Better yet, stick to what you know instead of remarking on stuff you dont understand (dogs, pirates... boats) and keep your witless musings to yourself - prick.

I just signed up here, basically been abused since my second post. **** that - you all can keep your petty ******** and rejoice the absence of this sailor.
Budgetadvisory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 19:18   #34

Boat: Roberts 57 Schooner

Problem in Oz is our birds tend to be pretty smart (and destructive).

pwillems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 19:24   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwillems View Post
Problem in Oz is our birds tend to be pretty smart (and destructive).
Yes, I have experienced the Cockatoos of Australia. Brilliant birds. I am fortunate that they have never decided to take up harassment of me or my boat.
Old 19-11-2019, 08:26   #36

Boat: S2 8.0C

I have epoxied 1 1/2 inch hypodermic needles to the top of my mast for the past 10 years ans have not had any problems with birds. You can buy them at tractor supply or find a nurse that can get some. I used 18 gauge 1 1/2 inch stainless steel hypodermic needles. Hope it works for you. I bent stainless safety wire to connect the needles together and epoxied them all together, then epoxied the safety wire to the masthead.
Bob328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2019, 08:59   #37

Birds be creative, yo.

This little guy was stealing the poppies from a nearby veterans memorial. The spikes just held them in place.
Pete17C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2019, 09:26   #38

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

An artist friend of mine made a life-size canvas gull that I keep on deck. I hope it looks like a dead one. It sure doesn't look alive to me... I think it helps. When nesting season comes, some new tactics may be needed.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2019, 15:27   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
The definition of a pirate is the master or crew of an unflagged ship, nothing to do with rape, robbery or mayhem.
Hardly!

Pirate:
Th most widely used dictionaries:
"a person who attacks and robs ships at sea.".
"person who robs or commits illegal violence at sea or on the shores of the sea."
"a person who sails in a ship and attacks other ships in order to steal from them"
"Pirates are sailors who attack other ships and steal property from them. "

Piracy:
UNCLOS

Article101
Definition of piracy
Piracy consists of any of the following acts:
(a) any illegal acts of violence or detention, or any act of depredation, committed for private ends by the crew or the passengers of a private ship or a private aircraft, and directed:
(i) on the high seas, against another ship or aircraft, or against persons or property on board such ship or aircraft;
(ii) against a ship, aircraft, persons or property in a place outside the jurisdiction of any State;
(b) any act of voluntary participation in the operation of a ship or of an aircraft with knowledge of facts making it a pirate ship or aircraft;
(c) any act of inciting or of intentionally facilitating an act described in subparagraph (a) or (b).

Quote:
I just signed up here, basically been abused since my second post.
I wonder why?
Maybe a little introspection is called for.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2019, 15:35   #40

Boat: 1980 Choate CF40

If you are concerned about raptor birds (birds of prey), check this article out.

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...l.pone.0204802

and less sciency:
https://gizmodo.com/this-hilarious-o...-yo-1829716568
Morgali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2019, 15:41   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Yes, I have experienced the Cockatoos of Australia. Brilliant birds. I am fortunate that they have never decided to take up harassment of me or my boat.
Cockatoos? Pah!

Try Keas

https://youtu.be/U9WoBPSvJ04
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2019, 16:38   #42

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
wingssail - I was only trying to help, advising what actually works for me. Your ignorant rant doesn’t help and I find the thing pedophiles quite offensive - two men are in prison for what they did to me, and others, when I was a child. The definition of a pirate is the master or crew of an unflagged ship, nothing to do with rape, robbery or mayhem.

Please stop endorsing pedoplilia, even in jest (it’s not funny). Better yet, stick to what you know instead of remarking on stuff you dont understand (dogs, pirates... boats) and keep your witless musings to yourself - prick.

I just signed up here, basically been abused since my second post. **** that - you all can keep your petty ******** and rejoice the absence of this sailor.

You are very welcome to leave CF any time. Nobody is holding you hostage.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2019, 20:40   #43

Quote:

I don't endorse pedophilia, in fact I abhor it. I am very sorry if my comments brought back memories of previous hurts you experienced. That was callous of me.

I also abhor piracy and I do not understand why so many people think pirates are cute, and want to fly skull and cross bone flags.

So, mr Budgetadvisory, stick with us, we'll ask tough questions, but we'll let you make your responses too, Just don't expect a free ride.
Old 19-11-2019, 21:07   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
They are a permanent fixture at Rushcutters.

The guy on top has pretty good balance ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	n.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	352.9 KB
ID:	203450  
martinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 18:30   #45

Boat: never mind...

A plastic snake on deck does wonders!
iSaint is offline   Reply With Quote