Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2009, 10:40   #1

Alternator Schematic

Hi, I need some help with a wire schematic fo a valeo alt. thanks
stxboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:37   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
That's what you get for owning a Volvo.
This site may have some help
Tiedemann Auto-Elektrik

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:10   #3

thanks I have a 4 wire alt system( 1 )tach (2) hr counter? (3) ground (4) bat+ wire this wire goes to the center lug of a bat isolator . I have no power on the bat + wire I have power on the other 2 wires on the isolator I have a yellow wire comming out of the alt and it goes to the bat+ lug on the alt. no output at alt, bat 9.8 volts the engines have been replace at some point with Kubotas. Iam a auto tech so I do understand wiring I just need a diagram or some Idea how this sould be wired it may have not been done right from the start
Old 09-12-2009, 13:53   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
An Alternator with 4 stator leads, is a Wye type. One of the leads is called the Neutral Junction. The Neutral Junction is common to all the other leads. Wye wound stators are used in alternators that require high voltage output at low alternator speeds. Two windings are in series at any one time during charge output.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alernator - Output Wiring Diagram.jpg
Views:	5206
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	11633  
Attached Images

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:16   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
I think the term 4-wire the OP used is confusing,

What you have is a main ouput from the regulator the bat + , and two aux outputs ( if I understand you correctly)ole thing being internally regulated. The outputs will be diode seperated and it sounds like the main diode on the bat+ line is gone. The yellow wire is the sense line from the regulator and as its connected at the alt, its "machine sensed"
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:09   #6

There seems to be only 1 output on the alt it has Bat+ and Bat- these are big 10gage wires the yellow wire coming out of the alt hooks to the Bat +. There is no power at the bat+ wire . On every alt system I have worked on it has power on it coming from the bat, but on this it goes to the isolator. I checked the other engine it is the same. The engine bat is only used on start up, but the alt should charge the house bat. Does the alt sense it is spinning and then start charging without any power coming from the bat ? Are does someone have this wired wrong or a bad Isolator .
Old 10-12-2009, 07:33   #7
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
ok , you have a valeo isolated ground alternator. so the B- should be to ground, The W terminal is the tach and the othe6 rone normally marked "61" is the ignition/idiot light/ field coil excite, this should have power on it, when the ignition/starter key is turned.

If your battery positive cable runs through a diode isolater, then there will not be power ie 12V on that terminal with the alternator not running. However power should appear once the alternator spins up. If not either (a) The field /excite supply via the "61" terminal isnt powered or (b) The diode trio is gone on the alternator, this could happen if the battery switch was disconnected with the altermator running.

ogh 61 could also be labeled d+
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 13:57   #8

Thank you for the help to understand the system it was a bad reg in the alternator. Knowing how the system works was key thanks again

Tags
alternator