Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-05-2011, 16:41   #16

Boat: Morgan 46
Re: Alternator Regulators - Opinions?

Thanks Daddle, That’s a great idea. Does it take long to top off you batteries? Can you please tell the brand and specs of the potentiometer? My old perkins has an old AC Delco. I'd rather put limited money into other energy sources like solar cells instead of high output Alt. But also live aboard in hurricain belt, so wondering if investing in the most reliable smart regulator to minumize charging time on engines.

Also, do you know of an easy "KISS" solution for multiple banks?

Old 28-05-2011, 17:22   #17

Boat: I Want A Catalac

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
I use generic automobile alternators. Have a potentiometer on the voltage sense lead. I adjust it as I like. I'm approximately one million times smarter than a smart charger. I even know the temperature. An alarm clock solved the short attention span problem on long motoring trips ... which are exceedingly rare.

One knob. One voltmeter. One ammeter. Trivial.
I love this, did this with Trace 4024 inverters, a "given to me" Briggs and Stratton 12HP riding lawnmower engine, some bracketry, and twin 1100lb forklift batteries for powering the "Cruising Homestead". Worked incredibly well, and I could see myself doing it easily on a live aboard. If you are there, you are part of the system!

Old 18-11-2011, 11:44   #18

Boat: Polynesia 40/42
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed
Re: Alternator Regulators - Sterling ProReg-B

Anyone have any experience with the Sterling ProReg-B external regulators?
Old 18-11-2011, 12:04   #19

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
I use generic automobile alternators. Have a potentiometer on the voltage sense lead. I adjust it as I like. I'm approximately one million times smarter than a smart charger. I even know the temperature. An alarm clock solved the short attention span problem on long motoring trips ... which are exceedingly rare.

One knob. One voltmeter. One ammeter. Trivial.
After all the discussions on CF regarding alternators, smart/ dumb regulation, temp sensing I am leaning towards using simple automotive/ used Delco internally regulated alternator. Currently looking into bulding up an old alternator with new stator, rotor, etc to the 80 to 90 amp range, total cost $50.00- $100.00. Another plus is parts for Declo alternators are available everywhere.

Considering the cost of the more advanced charging alternatives at my age I don't think I will live long enough to reap the return on investment of the small return of the suposed longer battery life. keep it simple.
Issues of charging times can be adjusted with a liitle work on the Delco's as well.
Old 18-11-2011, 16:48   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Alternator Regulators - Sterling ProReg-B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman Ed View Post
Anyone have any experience with the Sterling ProReg-B external regulators?
I will in a month or so. Electromaax is now selling these regulators to go with their alternators. Should be on the Electromaax website soon.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 17:25   #21

cburger, with a little bit of sleuthing you can figure out what car had an appropriate Delco alternator back in the day, and then it is really easy to pick up rebuilt units at places like Advance Auto parts. For example, the Delco 12SI model I wanted, rated at 94 amps, goes on a 1984 Camaro, with the 305 CI V8. I was able to get $50 off with a coupon from there, so it cost me less than $100. Seems to be very good--ran it all last summer with no issues. It also came with a lifetime guarantee.
Old 18-11-2011, 17:44   #22

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
cburger, with a little bit of sleuthing you can figure out what car had an appropriate Delco alternator back in the day, and then it is really easy to pick up rebuilt units at places like Advance Auto parts. For example, the Delco 12SI model I wanted, rated at 94 amps, goes on a 1984 Camaro, with the 305 CI V8. I was able to get $50 off with a coupon from there, so it cost me less than $100. Seems to be very good--ran it all last summer with no issues. It also came with a lifetime guarantee.
Thats the ticket, a friend of mine has a couple of 12si's that he got for nothing and the plan is to build them into something in the 80-90 amp range on the cheap.
Old 18-11-2011, 18:11   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
Thats the ticket, a friend of mine has a couple of 12si's that he got for nothing and the plan is to build them into something in the 80-90 amp range on the cheap.
The 10SI's were already built for external regulation and you can find them in the 100A range or more on ebay. It's simple to add an AC tap if you need to run a tach.

As for the ProReg by Sterling I have installed a couple. Decent, well built, well priced but I don't like the lack of options for voltage settings, output limiting etc.. The US distributor is a good guy. You can buy direct and Mark will treat you well. I do prefer the ARS-5 or MC-614 Balmar's even with the price premium..

For a basic external reg the ProReg is tough to beat and it comes with the temp sensors included. I've got one in stock that a customer changed his mind on if you're interested..
Old 19-11-2011, 06:31   #24

Maine Sail--not sure why the 10SI Delco would be any better than the 12SI for converting to external regulation. I believe they use the same internal regulators, have the same external terminals, and can be converted the same way. The reason I like the 12SI better is that it has much better cooling than the 10SI. Originally these were designed for various ratings under 100 amps, and now you can buy rebuilt versions up to 165 amps or so. I'm not sure I would recommend those as I suspect they are going to run hot and not for very long. If you need over 100 amps I would go with something heavier duty.
Old 19-11-2011, 06:49   #25

Boat: Baba 35, Play Actor

I ran a Delco 17si -- same basic alternator as the 10 and 12si -- for many years and thousands of hours. I modified it for external regulation, and put in a 200 amp stator from Holcombe Armature. My total cost was under $200, and I built another for a spare. Just make sure you have the 50 amp per phase diodes -- they're cheap -- under $20 per set. I could get around 120 to 130 amps out of these continuously with a single belt. More would smoke the belt quickly, but I was only charging a 400 AH battery bank, so I was happy.

I repowered and the Delco wouldn't fit the new engine, so I sold both alternators to a fellow cruiser, who is using twin belts and happily pumping out 160 plus amps with one of them. He replaced a Balmar 120 amp alternator that would limit itself to about 60 amps because of high temp.
Play Actor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 06:56   #26

Play Actor, that sounds really good, I'll have to look into the 17SI. One thing wonderful about the 10SI and the 12SI is that you can find parts or get them rebuilt absolutely everywhere in the world. I had one burn up in Honduras and I took it to a fishing boat place that put it on a plane and had it flown to the mainland where it was rebuilt overnight and was back the next day--total cost for everything was $50. I also found spare parts I needed in Cartagena, Colombia, with no problem. Plus, they are easy to work on yourself.
Old 19-11-2011, 07:17   #27

i bought a large frame leese neville 105 amp off ebay for $45 It was rebuilt Acually its put out 110 amps when neded It does have a internal reg The only question I have is when the battery monitor says the batteries are 100% it still puts out 5amps for several hrs Eventually dropping to 1-2 amps thats after running 8-10 hrs
Old 19-11-2011, 07:18   #28

Sorry if I hyjacked your thread but check ebay to see what you can find
Old 19-11-2011, 07:28   #29
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Maine Sail--not sure why the 10SI Delco would be any better than the 12SI for converting to external regulation. I believe they use the same internal regulators, have the same external terminals, and can be converted the same way. The reason I like the 12SI better is that it has much better cooling than the 10SI. Originally these were designed for various ratings under 100 amps, and now you can buy rebuilt versions up to 165 amps or so. I'm not sure I would recommend those as I suspect they are going to run hot and not for very long. If you need over 100 amps I would go with something heavier duty.
Yep my bad I meant to type 10DN, not 10SI. The 10DN is the same frame Balmar, Ample, Powerline and many other high output builders use/used and sell for $600.00 +/- ....

There are many out there already modified for high output for short money. Other than tapping into one for tach sense they're pretty much ready to go.. Personally I prefer the 8MR series Leece-Nevilles..

12SI's are also good, and as mentioned, better than the 10SI. There are dummy regulator blocks available for external conversion too..
Old 19-11-2011, 07:31   #30
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
i bought a large frame leese neville 105 amp off ebay for $45 It was rebuilt Acually its put out 110 amps when neded It does have a internal reg The only question I have is when the battery monitor says the batteries are 100% it still puts out 5amps for several hrs Eventually dropping to 1-2 amps thats after running 8-10 hrs
Should be an easy fix, your battery monitor is not calibrated correctly to the bank.. Could need a Peukert factor adjustment.. It does take 8-10+ hours to charge...

Tags
alternator

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: