Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2019, 23:28   #16

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: Alternator questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Quite possible, the B- stud sort of looks insulated from the alternator frame but is hard to tell from the photo; perhaps the OP can confirm?

If so, then wiring size to the B- becomes a consideration for the OP to think about.
I believe that the B- stud is for a negative wire. In my situation the alternator is grounded to the engine.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2019, 23:30   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
The Iskra is what comes to Beta on the Kubota engines. It is not intended to charge a house bank. It is intended to put the power back into the battery that started the engine and maybe power a few lights. Remember that the Kubota started as a small tractor engine before it was marinized.

Beta has a second alternator bracket available. I had one fitted when I bought my 50HP BV2203. That is the most practical way to charge a house battery. Don't think of the Iskra is anything more than a very light duty alternator. Any attempt to drive it at 65 amp output for more than a few minutes will burn it up.
My house bank is small enough that I do not need anything more than the Iskra. My only load is lights, water pump, radio, and VHF.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 25-07-2019, 23:35   #18
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I believe that the B- stud is for a negative wire. In my situation the alternator is grounded to the engine.
Yes the B- stud is for a negative wire should one wish to fit one.

I can't tell from the photo but are both of those larger spade terminals designated as B+??

Initially I thought I could see one as B+ and the other as B- but on a second look, it seems they are both B+.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2019, 23:11   #19

Both are B+. The plastic surrounding the spade terminals was melted. I decided to get larger cables and to attach to the stud.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 26-07-2019, 23:17   #20
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

^^ Thanks.
I'm sure you will be happy with the result
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2019, 07:35   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
^^ Thanks.
I'm sure you will be happy with the result
@wotname I think so. I only have a few more days on the boat this year but next year I will replace my two house bank batteries. I might also get solar panels.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad

Tags
alternator