Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2018, 15:24   #31

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Alternator not regulating charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
You still have the use of it. It won't hurt the batteries enough to make a difference. Negligible if any harm IMHO unless you run it for weeks or months non-stop.
Well, I’m a big fan of doing nothing , so maybe I will just leave it alone. We don’t tend to run the engine long, but there have been a few occasions when we’ve had to motor for many hours, or even up to a day. This happened last season, and the batteries still seem OK, so maybe I’m fretting about nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
If your batteries are already at a high SOC from solar/wind then yes the regulator should raise V and lower current. Thats normal.

Check manufacture's spec for V set points. Note that max V varies with battery temp. Does your regulator have a temp sensor?
Thanks for the assurance, and the info. I have no temp sensor for any of the chargers. I have four different ones: alternator, shore power charger, solar, wind. I’ve looked, and can’t find any info on these Magnacharge batteries. Has anyone heard of them? They seem OK, but I really wish I could get at the electrolyte.
Old 09-09-2018, 15:30   #32

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Well, I’m a big fan of doing nothing , so maybe I will just leave it alone. We don’t tend to run the engine long, but there have been a few occasions when we’ve had to motor for many hours, or even up to a day. This happened last season, and the batteries still seem OK, so maybe I’m fretting about nothing.

Thanks for the assurance, and the info. I have no temp sensor for any of the chargers. I have four different ones: alternator, shore power charger, solar, wind. I’ve looked, and can’t find any info on these Magnacharge batteries. Has anyone heard of them? They seem OK, but I really wish I could get at the electrolyte.
Some of those chargers/regulators likely support battery temp sense. Its a good thing to have...better charge at colder temps and avoid baking batteries at higher temps.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 15:37   #33

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

I wouldn't worry about temp sensors unless you have very high current charger in the tropics. Just feel the batteries after motoring for a while and see if they are hot. I doubt they will be. Try feeling them after 30 minutes when they have been receiving a lot of charge current also. I bet they won't be hot or even warm.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 17:08   #34

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

This is what MaineSail says about charge voltage:
If you’re not charging deep-cycle flooded batteries at 14.6V (bare minimum) to 15.0V, for PSOC use (boats, RV’s or off-grid solar), they’re simply not getting properly charged. Even many AGM batteries are capable of being charged as high as 14.7V and their health is vastly improved by doing so. With all that said, use your battery manufactures recommended voltages but stick to the maximum of the safe-range not the low side. For example if your battery maker suggests an absorption setting of 14.4V to 14.8V you’ll want to be at 14.8V end of the spectrum not at the 14.4V end.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 17:20   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
I wouldn't worry about temp sensors unless you have very high current charger in the tropics. Just feel the batteries after motoring for a while and see if they are hot. I doubt they will be. Try feeling them after 30 minutes when they have been receiving a lot of charge current also. I bet they won't be hot or even warm.

kmac, the way Mike describes his use, his solar & wind keep him full. Therefore, when he starts his engine, his bank will never have "...been receiving a lot of charge current..." from the alternator. Ever.

Mike, your plan is good: either do nothing or, having learned how to, lower the V to 14.4 like your solar controller. You don't use your engine much, and even if you did, when you do run it, either of two things happen: 1) it doesn't run long and your bank is full anyway; 2) it does run a long time, but your bank is full anyway.

There will be little current from the alternator because the battery acceptance when they are full is very low.

It might not take you 200 years to learn this stuff, it will only feel like it! A perfect example of "Ask me how I know..."

I think you've seen this already, but noodle around some, it's where I picked up a lot of good info:

Electrical Systems 101
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 17:39   #36

Boat: Fantasia 35

Mike,

It looks like you have a Volvo engine. Three Volvo that I have worked on all had key start switch. After starting the switch springs to the left leaving the alternator operating. The next switch position to the left shuts down the alternator.

You may be able to turn off the alternator as needed.

Good luck...
Viking Sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 20:02   #37

Sounds like it's working to me. My 115 Merc outboard charges at 14.6 according to my depth sounder.
Old_Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:05   #38

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

I had to research Magnacharge after finding a sealed battery in my brother in law's garage after he had passed. I didn't find the website particularly helpful - Home - but there's lots of distributors who may be able to help you more, inc one in Thunder Bay - you're from Winterpeg aren't you?
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:56   #39
CLOD

Boat: none

Better to be a little undercharged than boiled out for sealed batteries. Can “fix” the undercharged.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:01   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by desodave View Post
I had to research Magnacharge after finding a sealed battery in my brother in law's garage after he had passed. I didn't find the website particularly helpful - Home - but there's lots of distributors who may be able to help you more, inc one in Thunder Bay - you're from Winterpeg aren't you?
Thanks for this. Yes, I found the website, but very little useful information. A dealer is probably a good idea, although they aren’t always as knowledgable as one would hope.

To be honest, they’ve been find batteries so far. They’ve taken a few beatings and appear to keep bouncing back OK. I keep them in plastic boxes, so I think I’d see the residue of any boil overs. So far, nothing. But I really dislike not being able to check the fluid levels.

I used to live in Thunder Bay. Now I live where the boat is; which is currently in Corner Brook, NL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Better to be a little undercharged than boiled out for sealed batteries. Can “fix” the undercharged.
I’m inclined to agree with you .
Old 12-09-2018, 13:54   #41
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Transpo (not tempo?) make a voltage manual-adjustable VR, I think about $80?

Not fancy staged, but better than the fixed voltage ones.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 15:38   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Transpo (not tempo?) make a voltage manual-adjustable VR, I think about $80?

Not fancy staged, but better than the fixed voltage ones.
Says “Transpo” on the regulator. I dunno…?
Old 12-09-2018, 15:45   #43
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Yes bog standard OEM for dozens of companies.

Just some were talking "tempo" above. . .

Amazon and eBay both have them, 911-02R
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 17:35   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

So, how does it adjust voltage? You said it was adjustable.
A potentiometer?

Without trying to put words in Maine Sails mouth, I believe his point is that with very few exceptions, batteries rarely get fully charged, and by pushing the voltages he’s trying to get them charged.
I think for an AGM 14.8 May be a little high, and may over time harm them as in dry out the electrolyte.
However if you don’t motor for many, many hours, it likely isn’t bad for them.
If the adjustment is easy, then consider it if your going on a long motor run.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 18:19   #45

Mike, Not to change the topic too much, when we first bought our boat, I was monitoring the batteries by voltage. I even made a label with the 50% discharge voltages, etc. Since then, I installed a Victron BMV battery monitor. Instead of watching volts, I can watch Amps and Amp-Hours. I had similar questions why my 70Amp alternator would only put out 50Amps. Still learning, but with more instrumentation. Something to think about,
Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator