Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-05-2016, 14:50   #1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII
Alternator and serpentine belt

Some time ago I replaced the stock alternator on my Universal 35B engine (50A) with a Balmar AT200 and MC614 regulator. This was done to feed my lithium battery bank.
I also replaced the v belt pulleys with a 10 rib serpentine setup.
I have issues with belt slap. I wonder what other people that are running serpentine belts have done to reduce this.
I get maybe 1/2" plus and minus belt movement on the low tension side of the engine crankshaft pulley and the sound is somewhat like a whip cracking every once in a while.
Ideally I would have a spring loaded idler pulley but there is no room to fabricate a setup like that (or at least I haven't spent enough time to figure that out yet).
I originally tried lower belt tension because it being serpentine but belt slap was worse. I am now running what I think is the same tension as what is suggested for standard v belts - 1/2" deflection at mid point on the longest span. I am a bit concerned that the tension might be a bit high and of course that belt slap is still there and driving me bonkers. It's not so much the noise as the imagined wear on bearings and the belt.
Thoughts ?
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 06:50   #2

Re: Alternator and serpentine belt

many cars use idlers that run on the back of the belt and get tension from a rubber insert. very simple and compact, needs only one bolt replaced somewhere on the motor. Check your local car scrap yard
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: