Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2018, 16:43   #1

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36
Alternating voltage on batteries

While checking the dc voltage on my batteries today I decided to see what ac might be sneaking through the charger. Last time I tried this a month ago on a friends trickle charger I measured 3mv. I thought that most likely it would not hurt any thing. On my batteries today I measured 33 volts ac! Yikes! Where is it coming from. I disconnected the charger and the results were the same. I disconnected the ac circuits one at a time. No change. I disconnected the dc circuits. No change!. I disconnected the shore power cord. No change. WTF! Battery three is only connected to a small 15 watt photovoltaic panel. It still had ac with nothing connected to it. What am I missing? What next? any ideas? Thanks. Foufou
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 18:10   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Alternating voltage on batteries

Like you I ask what is going on!

Maybe this could explain the phenomena?

https://electronics.stackexchange.co...rom-dc-battery

Clive
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 18:38   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Alternating voltage on batteries

Could be a host of things including induced AC in the meter leads; try putting a load across the meter leads say a 1 Kohm resistor or a 12V incandescent light.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote