Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2013, 06:53   #1

Air X windgenerator charging problems

Hi have an Air X wind generator worked fine for 6 years. Have replaced blades to whisper version. Last year some water leaked on the microprocessor, replaced that, have tested the alternator. Just won't charge. We live in Australia and have been in contact with e marine frequently (they supplied the processor. Tried everything amps rises steadily with a drill to about 5 A then jumps to 9-10 Amps- red light on as if charging. Put the wind generator back on - and doesn't register on the amp meter - has cost us as much as a new one with parts and transport.
Any solutions??
radath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 07:36   #2

Re: Air X windgenerator charging problems

Is the hub properly secured to the rotor?
tristanmortimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 07:56   #3

Yes appears to be - have had it off 4 times already.
Everything appears to be correct except there are no amps being generated.
Old 31-08-2013, 08:12   #4

is the red light on when it is running? Is your onboard current measuring device functioning correctly, does the turbine spin up to speed? is there a change in turbine speed between loaded and open circuit conditions when in reasonably constant wind speeds? It seams a little odd that there is an immediate jump in current when being driven by the drill.
Old 31-08-2013, 08:40   #5

Thanks. yes the red light is on as it should be. The ammeter is functioning. The turbine spins to be speed. We have the whisper blades and have never had quite the same charging results when we replaced the standard ones (but they are much quieter). Will need to test the loaded and open in a constant wind condition. Yes we thought it very odd that the current jumps- this is the new processor- so we sent it back to Florida and they said it tested fine, but it rises steadily to about 4/5 amps then leaps up to 9-12 amps- it doesn't cut out at 14.2 either so not sure about the regulation- then we put it back on the boat and it won't register on the ammeter at all.
Old 31-08-2013, 08:55   #6
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

If I remember right the leads have to be hooked up to a power supply before testing. That could possibly be a reason for the difference between bench test and installed test.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 09:09   #7

Also carefully inspect any cabling, fuses/circuit breakers, switches etc in the system. Good luck with it. I gave up with my Air 403s after suffering issues with the regulator unit.
Old 31-08-2013, 09:41   #8

Thanks for your input- I think this Air X is pretty close to going for a swim as well- but we have invested as much as a new one- and its all pointing to the regulator- especially since with the drill test it was going as high as 16 v. What wind generator do you use now?
Old 31-08-2013, 09:42   #9

Yes we used two differnet 12 v batteries
Old 31-08-2013, 10:40   #10

I now use a Superwind, and to be honest it is great, better in every way except its looks, unfortunately you pay handsomely. One option with the Air-(if you are pretty handy) is to remove the internal regulator completely and wire the rectifier output directly to the slip rings. You will then of course require a battery regulator inside the boat. In all I believe the above approach is a better one than the internal regulator in any event, but I am not 100% sure how the winding of the AirX would cope with maximum output for extended periods in heavy winds.
Old 31-08-2013, 23:11   #11

Boat: sloop 8.68m
Radath don't chuck it out yet, I have airx, my mate has had one for years.
His regulator burnt out and he installed a " bridge rectifier " at little to zero cost.. google that option.
insalt72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:43   #12

Hi insalt 72- would like to know more details about the bridge rectifer option- we are in Brisbane. Any chance we can call you
Old 01-09-2013, 02:46   #13

I pm'ed you if u wanna talk
Old 01-09-2013, 05:06   #14

The Air marine turbine already contains a bridge rectifier internally. The AC output from the winding is connected directly to it. The DC output from the rectifier is connected to the regulator/braking circuitry. My suggestion was to remove the regulator circuitry and connect the rectifier DC output directly to the turbine slip rings. This is what I intend to do with my 2 turbines with damaged regulators.

My biggest concern would be that in my opinion the windings in these turbines is not great quality and because they are not a particularly tight fit into the front casing heat removal wont be as good as it could be. By removing the internal regulator the turbine will be outputing power all the time as opposed to braking once up to charge and therfore producing heat constantly. Also the regular breaks that the winding has when the internal regulator stops the turbine to monitor battery voltage will be removed.

I do know that the industrial design of this turbine which operates without internal regulation is also fitted with a substantial finned heat sink surrounding the entire front casing containing the winding.

Another thing to bear in mind is that by fitting the 'silent' blades you now no longer have the aeroelastic blade twist as a protection measure for overspeed.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:44   #15

Radath.. sorry I missed your call im working in the bush at the moment.
It's true as tristanmortimer wrote the airX puts out AC and the rectifier converts this power to DC.
If you do as "Tristan" said you will need to monitor your battery voltage manually and when they looks fully charged you will have to turn it off manually as you no longer have a regulator.
I'm not sure if you have wet cell batteries or not but if you do they are not as fussy about voltage as AGM/gel.
So with this new system, if you set it up, you can no longer leave your wind gen running as you have been able to because now it is a manual wind gen.
This might all sound complicated but you have little to loose, I fix and modify like a mad man.. have a crack see how you go

Tags
charging, generator, wind