Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-09-2013, 06:58   #16

Re: Air X windgenerator charging problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by insalt72 View Post
Radath.. sorry I missed your call im working in the bush at the moment.
It's true as tristanmortimer wrote the airX puts out AC and the rectifier converts this power to DC.
If you do as "Tristan" said you will need to monitor your battery voltage manually and when they looks fully charged you will have to turn it off manually as you no longer have a regulator.
I'm not sure if you have wet cell batteries or not but if you do they are not as fussy about voltage as AGM/gel.
So with this new system, if you set it up, you can no longer leave your wind gen running as you have been able to because now it is a manual wind gen.
This might all sound complicated but you have little to loose, I fix and modify like a mad man.. have a crack see how you go
Whilst what you say is true, it does not have to be this way.
If you fit a diversion load controller as made by Morningstar or Xantrex and others and connect this to a correctly sized load the controller will monitor battery voltage and dump excess output from the turbine when the batteries reach the preset voltage. These controllers are far from dumb and are capable of quite sophisticated charge regimes. It is my opinion that an external regulator such as this is a better solution than the internal effort as fitted originally. To place the regulator in such a tough environment inside the turbine exposed to all kinds of temperatures and vibration is not a great engineering solution. I also believe that the common issue of the plastic coating on the turbine body failing is caused by the regulators enclosure in the body and the weird and wonderful electrical/magnetic events that must happen every time the output is shorted to brake the turbine.

Old 01-09-2013, 13:21   #17
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

I went the route of putting a bridge rectifier in my air x. It lasted the longest it had in one stretch which I think was around 3 years. Then one windy trip down the coast (gusts in excess of 50kts) the stator overheated and fried. Southwest windpower wanted $185 and I wasnt taking. Instead while toying with ideas I noticed the similarity in sizes between the airx case and a 10si chevy alternator. I ended up having aluminum tabs welded to the windgen case and making a custom unit. On ebay I purchased a slant core 7 rare earth magnet , modified 10si alternator. I got the alternator delivered for around $150 I then purchased 3 raptor IV blades with hub for $80. They claim good to 140mph winds. the bearing in the case was found for $6 as a replacement atv axle bearing. I had to reshape the tail and make it larger to account for moving the blades forward some and increasing the size. To seal the unit up I made a fiberglass cover that goes over the front assembly and has double rubber seal on front. The whole shaft is packed with grease under the spacer outside. I just hooked up an ammeter and havent seen the high wind output. At 10-15 was putting out around 5 amps. Why did i go through all this? I was told the armature is a long term investment and wouldnt need replacement soon, stators are available rewound for wind gen purposes for $35.The other failure prone part rectifier is aound $12 I can carry a spare or two at that price.Alternator claims output of 1500 watts max, Ill never see close to that so maybe it will last.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:15   #18
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Dont know if I did that right but heres a pic of wind gen now, A nose cone is the next project but at least its working now. I missed not having it.

Tags
charging, generator, wind

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: