Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2016, 10:48   #31

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Air-X noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom30 View Post
The noise is the only reason we keep ours.

I can tell how big the gusts are when sailing without looking at anything.

I am tuned to the sound when asleep, and immediately wake when the old thing changes its song the least bit. Less than 5 knots change will wake me easily. I am almost always on deck before the shift occurs.
This theme made me smile. I too learned to rely on the sound of our old Air-x, especially overnight. I could cock and ear and immediately tell if I should haul my butt outside, or whether I could roll over and go back to sleep.

Since going to the blue-bladed Silentwind I can't hear a damn thing from down below when anchored. So now I'm up every few hours overnight checking our position. What was I thinking .
Old 02-01-2016, 10:51   #32

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by captjcook View Post
I bought the blue blades, worth every penny (ouch), would never look back, astounding difference on my old 300 watt air-x. Spins up and produces with significantly less wind...let's go silent!
The blue blades are definitely not cheap, but as I recall the higher power units required more wind to really perform. Apparently the blue blades flex less and therefore are more efficient at lower wind velocities?

Thanks for your input...
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:05   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
This theme made me smile. I too learned to rely on the sound of our old Air-x, especially overnight. I could cock and ear and immediately tell if I should haul my butt outside, or whether I could roll over and go back to sleep.

Since going to the blue-bladed Silentwind I can't hear a damn thing from down below when anchored. So now I'm up every few hours overnight checking our position. What was I thinking .
That is a great point that several folks have commented on. As I mentioned previously it took awhile to get used to the sound of the refrigerator compressor at night, but when I don't hear it for a while I begin to worry! Funny how we become attuned to our surroundings and noises, and the reaction we experience change in same.

Theses old Air-X's are beginning to sound like a valuable warning device!
Old 02-01-2016, 11:05   #34
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I have an AirX and it used to be scary!

The noise sounded like a helo base I finally bought the blueblades and what a difference! The noise is is easily halve what it was

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:22   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by morven55 View Post
That is a great point that several folks have commented on. As I mentioned previously it took awhile to get used to the sound of the refrigerator compressor at night, but when I don't hear it for a while I begin to worry! Funny how we become attuned to our surroundings and noises, and the reaction we experience change in same.

So true. But don't get me wrong morven, I would never ever go back to the black bladed banshee. I appreciate the sound of silence too much, and also like not annoying my anchorage neighbours (when I have them).

If I were you I'd definitely set up the Air-X. Give it a whirl. Then, spend the bucks on some new blue blades. The contrast will be all the more striking.

BTW, I did post a short video somewhere on CF showing (and hearing) our SilentWind in action. The search tool is pretty poor, but you might be able to find it in one of the previous wind gen threads.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:42   #36

Quote:
So true. But don't get me wrong morven, I would never ever go back to the black bladed banshee. I appreciate the sound of silence too much, and also like not annoying my anchorage neighbours (when I have them).

If I were you I'd definitely set up the Air-X. Give it a whirl. Then, spend the bucks on some new blue blades. The contrast will be all the more striking.

BTW, I did post a short video somewhere on CF showing (and hearing) our SilentWind in action. The search tool is pretty poor, but you might be able to find it in one of the previous wind gen threads.
Actually you either read my mind or planted the seed! Either way I have decided to do exactly that. I have been procrastinating because the only logical [and safe] place to put the machine is at the head of my mizzen mast. It is only 20' tall, but none the less quite a time consuming job, especially when the result is an unknown. Now I have some great opinions and feel the effort is well worth it. Honestly, every time I lay in my bunk listening to the wind I ask myself why in the world am I letting it go to waste? At least having such a hard head has one benefit: it doesn't even hurt anymore when I hit the break beam going forward!

I will definitely look for your vid...but patience in searching these threads is not my strong suit!
Old 02-01-2016, 11:48   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
I have an AirX and it used to be scary!

The noise sounded like a helo base I finally bought the blueblades and what a difference! The noise is is easily halve what it was

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Thanks for you opinion...all these comments have been very helpful.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:56   #38

Quote:

One other thing Mike, I am not very good at leaving things unsaid. I feel that I owe you an apology, here in public, for a couple of poorly thought out comments I made to you in the past. No excuses, just a sincere thanks for your kindness in replying to my thread with such an open mind. Good on you!
Old 02-01-2016, 12:31   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by morven55 View Post
One other thing Mike, I am not very good at leaving things unsaid. I feel that I owe you an apology, here in public, for a couple of poorly thought out comments I made to you in the past. No excuses, just a sincere thanks for your kindness in replying to my thread with such an open mind. Good on you!
Thank you morven. This is very kind of you to say and do. I certainly know (all too well ) how online discussions can bring out the dark side in all of us. No apology was needed, but it pleases me to know there are no hard feelings between us. From your comments I suspect you and I will agree more than we disagree here. I do hope you stick around.

I look forward to hearing how your Air-X experiment goes. Perhaps you'll find that the noise is a non-issue with it being at the top of your mizzen mast. Good luck, and keep us posted.
Old 02-01-2016, 13:41   #40
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i removed my mizzen head one as it was causing problems with mast itself. i will be installing them in future on the trailing corners of the dodger i will build.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 14:37   #41

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Air-X noise

Life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 14:45   #42

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Also: consider doubling the amount of vibration-dampening rubber insulation.
That made a noticeable difference in noise reduction with our Air-X.

{Which is now replaced with an Air-Breeze - long story. Don't ask.}
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 15:53   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i removed my mizzen head one as it was causing problems with mast itself. i will be installing them in future on the trailing corners of the dodger i will build.
More detail on "problems" please? I am concerned about the lever arm caused by 15 or so lbs. 20 feet in the air. The equivalent of a 300b. person on deck?

I assume you are aware that one of those machines could remove body parts if you stumbled into it? How high will your dodger be?
Old 02-01-2016, 15:56   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post

Life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Life gives you an Air-X, put it on watch?
Old 02-01-2016, 16:02   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmariane View Post
Also: consider doubling the amount of vibration-dampening rubber insulation.
That made a noticeable difference in noise reduction with our Air-X.

{Which is now replaced with an Air-Breeze - long story. Don't ask.}
That is a version of the old Air-X, right?

Tags
noise