Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2008, 17:17   #1

Boat: 1975 Alberg 37 Yawl
Air-X Land vs AIR-X Marine Wind Generator

Anyone know (really know) the exact differences between the Air-X Land wind generator versus the Air-X Marine wind generator???? the "Land" generator is quite a bit less expensive than the "Marine" generator. It appears that the performance specs are virtually the same. I would seriously doubt whether there are any actual differences, but what do I know!!??
tomj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 18:33   #2

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Powder coated case and hub. I don't know if there's any other, but I bought a land version for my house inverter system for backup power. The Air x is mounted on a piling on my salt water dock. After a few years, the hub cracked one of the blades due to corrosion expansion behind the blade. What happened must have been something to see as it threw half the blade which unbalanced the rest of the assembly enough that it completely jumped off the mount! This of course broke both of the other blades. The boat was tied up directly adjacent to the piling with the wind generator at the time. I found a few small pieces of the blades lying on my boat and the dock, but no damage was done to the boat or the dock.When I saw the wind generator hanging by its wires, I expected to see a blade sticking out of the side of the boat.

If I had to do it over, I'd get the powder coated version even if it's more expensive.

Steve B.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FF at dock.jpg
Views:	664
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	3057  
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 00:11   #3

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
I bought the land unit, zinc primered it and used white "one part" epoxy on it. I will be mounting it in May on the Mizzen. Your right...a whole lot cheaper
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 04:50   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
The aluminium Housing of the Air X Marine is anodized I believe but am not sure.
The Air Marine is replaced by the Air Breeze Land or marine , a improved version that runs at a maximum of 1100 rpm instead of 1800 rpm has a new electronics board that gives a higher charge at lower wind speeds makes less than half the noise and is far better balanced, the only visible part on the outside are larger blades and cooling fins on the underside . The noise level is halved and the vibration is gone , much better than before.
We install these units on the top of the mast and are very happy with them.
Gideon
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:01   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomj View Post
Anyone know (really know) the exact differences between the Air-X Land wind generator versus the Air-X Marine wind generator???? the "Land" generator is quite a bit less expensive than the "Marine" generator. It appears that the performance specs are virtually the same. I would seriously doubt whether there are any actual differences, but what do I know!!??
I bought one last fall.
The instruction paper indicates a need to insulate between dissimilar metals with an anti-oxidant to prohibit corrosive action in salt air environments. Specifically and provided with the unit, was a small amount of anti-oxident to "paint" behind the blade where they mount at the blade hub.
Also the land unit has an unpainted aluminum case (as a sailboat mast might be) where as the "Marine" model has a painted exterior case.

I do not KNOW of any other differences. (except the word "MARINE" always costs more.) Operationally no difference.
Being a cynic of sorts, I doubt much difference internally.

Good luck.
pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 10:01   #6

Boat: Cabot 36
Air Breeze or Air X in Bahamas?

I have read this thread with interest. I am also attracted by the lower price of the Air X Land and doubt any significant difference from the Marine version. But I'm wondering if I should leap to the Air Breeze for its advantages of higher output at lower speeds and less noise. Right now in Canada its a $450.00 jump but I have learned over the years that investing in the best equipment is cheaper in the long run, but have also learned to be careful. As has been said previously, anything marine seems to get priced at a premium. I would like to see a difference bsides a decal of a fish on the side of it before make a decision.
My primary use will be in the winter months in the Bahamas. I may end up waiting to install one as I go thru the USA in the fall or import one sooner at a lower price if I can.
I would be pleased to hear any more views on this issue.
Hope Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 11:06   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope Light View Post
I have read this thread with interest. I am also attracted by the lower price of the Air X Land and doubt any significant difference from the Marine version. But I'm wondering if I should leap to the Air Breeze for its advantages of higher output at lower speeds and less noise. Right now in Canada its a $450.00 jump but I have learned over the years that investing in the best equipment is cheaper in the long run, but have also learned to be careful. As has been said previously, anything marine seems to get priced at a premium. I would like to see a difference bsides a decal of a fish on the side of it before make a decision.
My primary use will be in the winter months in the Bahamas. I may end up waiting to install one as I go thru the USA in the fall or import one sooner at a lower price if I can.
I would be pleased to hear any more views on this issue.
Take the Air breeze , we are the importer for this product in South Africa and since we have introduced this unit here I get raving comments from our customers specially on 2 things
Less than half the noise or it has become barable
In low wind conditions much better performance.
I have replaced both My air X s for Air breezes now because of the noise
but I even get a charge when sailing downwind in 15 knots and not before.
Greetings

gideon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B_066.jpg
Views:	581
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	3272  
Old 13-04-2008, 13:56   #8

Just did a quick search on Air Breeze - Looks like the Air Breeze is also being offered in the "Land" and "Marine" models. The Land model is offered for $870 USD with the Marine model offered for $1098 USD (DIY solar power, solar power supplies). Just checked the Canadian Tire web site, and they are only offering the Air-X, but not the Sea Breeze (last year we traveled the Canadian Maritime Provinces by car/camper, and stopped by CT to do some shopping - the Land AIR-X at CT was very modestly priced).
We are still not sure if we will add a wind generator for our next Bahamas trip (this fall). We got along quite well with 2 ea. 85 Watt solar panels, but still had to run the engine every 2-3 days. Sure would be nice to not have to do that....

Tom in Kinsale
S/V SHEARWATER
Old 13-04-2008, 20:26   #9

Air Breeze

I will probably end up purchasing the Air Breeze from West Marine for $1115.00 cdn. Canadian Tire has the Air X Land on sale next week for $670.00 but I will resist.
Also will add some solar capability as well.
Old 13-04-2008, 21:08   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope Light View Post
I will probably end up purchasing the Air Breeze from West Marine for $1115.00 cdn. Canadian Tire has the Air X Land on sale next week for $670.00 but I will resist.
Also will add some solar capability as well.
We sell the Air breeze marine for Euro 700, see if this is a better price.

greetings
Gideon
Old 14-04-2008, 17:08   #11

I must have missed something in my checking of the Air Breeze on the various sources on the Internet. I had originally thought that the output of the Air Breeze was/is the same as the AIR-X (400W), but I see multiple sources have the Air Breeze listed as a 200W unit...... I'm a bit confused!

Tom in Kinsale, VA
S/V SHEARWATER
Old 14-04-2008, 17:57   #12

Air Breeze

Gideon, thanks for your input. 700 Euros seems to be about $1126.00cdn, so the same range as WM. Do you have an outlet in Canada?
Tom, you are right about the output of the Air Breeze being only 200 watts as opposed to 400 for the Air X. I'm assuming that the Air Breeze gets to 200 watts at much lower wind velocity than the Air X. It is said to produce half the noise or less and starts generating power at a lower speed. Maybe 6 knts instead of 8. I'm still evaluating. When standing on the stern of my boat this aft, realized I'll have to move the existing stern mounted radar mast outboard somewhat to accomodate the wind generator mast on the other side. Along with davits, barbeque and antennas, its getting crowded aft the cockpit. I also want to want to add some solar panels that I can mount in an anchorage. Yikes.
David
Old 14-04-2008, 18:18   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
David, I often hear this figure of "half the noise" however I have never seen any actual measurements. Have you or anyone else here seen any actual sound measurements?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 18:35   #14

Air Breeze noise

It is billed as half the noise but I have seen no decibel stats etc. Gideon who has them and is a dealer may have some input in this.
Old 15-04-2008, 19:17   #15

Air Breeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
David, I often hear this figure of "half the noise" however I have never seen any actual measurements. Have you or anyone else here seen any actual sound measurements?
The site of an Air Breeze vendor below has some stats and good prices: stats

Southwest Wind Power Air Breeze Wind Turbine Marine 200W 12V

Tags
generator, wind generator