Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2019, 06:54   #1

Air Conditioners and Water Makers that can run on 50 Hz and 60 Hz?

I am thinking of buying a 220 wired boat to be used in SouCal, and Sea of Cortez which are both 110 oriented.

Based on what I learned from the cruise world article at the link below, not having 220 shore power available for a 220 wired boat only becomes an issue if you have appliances like an air conditioner or water maker that require a lot of energy.

https://www.cruisingworld.com/how/wired-world

That is because you can run the existing 220 appliances that don't require a lot of energy with your existing batteries combined with installing a new battery charger that can accept 110 to plug into the 110 shore power. Is that correct or is it more complex than that? Other than having the new 110 battery charger is there more to do or is it that simple?

If you want to run a air conditioner or water maker that require lots of energy, from what I understand you can have a transformer(that is not expensive or unwieldy for those appliances between the shore and those energy pig, components that converts 110 to 220. The problem is taking the 110 shore power from 60 Hz to 50 Hz.

So it seems that best solution is to have energy pig appliances that can run on 60 Hz and 50 Hz. Is that correct?

Are there a marine air conditioner, water makers, microwaves, and washing machines that can run on both 60 Hz and 50 Hz? Is it as simple as I describe or is there more involved than as follows? Run less energy needy appliances off batteries with batteries being charged by new battery charger that can accept 110 / 60 Hz. And have a transformer that converts 110 to 220 between shore and the energy pig appliances that can accept 50 Hz or 60 Hz.

In SouCal and Sea of Cortez do most of the Marinas have 220 shore power available?
Augi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 19:24   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Air Conditioners and Water Makers that can run on 50 Hz and 60 Hz?

My approach would be big charger(s) capable of accepting universal world voltage input.

Then inverters can be selected as needed to run the AC loads, and you are free to choose whatever voltage appliances you like, according to where you are, as they need replacing
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water