Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2011, 19:41   #1

Air Breeze

I'd like to hear different opinions on the Air Breeze by people who have one on their boat. Is it as quiet as the KISS or even the Super Wind? I love the price of the Air Breeze but I love even more the quietness of the Super Wind.

Sven
s/v Norsewind
Tartan 37
norsewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 15:17   #2

Air Breeze

The best aspect of Air Breeze is it's self regulating.
You'll spend lots of additional $$ to develop a diversion load for Kiss
or any other non-regulating Wind Generator to keep from
overloading the batteries. Those types of Wind Generators will
make juice forever unless winds are down.
You have to divert the power somewhere.

Also on a Sailboat there aren't too many areas that are not used
and well ventelated that you'll need to put the diversion loads and charge controllers in. Then you have to worry about fire.........

The number of installed Air Breezes says it all.

Power and Sail Boat Repair
New Bern,NC
chuck711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 15:30   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Air Breeze

We have an air breeze installed about 3/4 of the way up the mizzen. It is not as quiet as a superwind (direct observation) but it's not loud either. I find the only time the whoosh is annoying is when the wind isn't up enough to make the output consistent. I just shut it off in this scenario. Otherwise the whoosh is mixed or almost hidden by the rigging noise.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 15:33   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
We have an air breeze installed about 3/4 of the way up the mizzen. It is not as quiet as a superwind (direct observation) but it's not loud either. I find the only time the whoosh is annoying is when the wind isn't up enough to make the output consistent. I just shut it off in this scenario. Otherwise the whoosh is mixed or almost hidden by the rigging noise.
How long have you had it for? I've heard such bad things about the AIRX series (I've had one freeze up on me myself) that I've been reluctant to take them seriously.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 17:04   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

it's been on the mast about a 9 months now. We've only really gotten to "work it out" twice, but it performed well. We'll see how it holds up in about 2 months when we're relying on it for 50% of our power needs. We'll be living with it full time for about 2-3 years.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 18:43   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

No, it is not as silent as any of those you mentioned. If you can afford the Superwind and if you like silence then go for something like Superwind (or D400, etc.)

The Super feature they have though is that they do not call for an external regulator!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 20:16   #7

I began to read about the "blue blades from Portugal" that people were talking about with regards to improving the Air Breeze's (and the Air X's) dB level. It was at that time that I came across a wind generator that really caught my eye: the Silentwind. The same people that made the blue blade "upgrade" for the Air machines came out with their own turbine.

Silentwindgenerator

Make sure you watch the videos that are embedded in the site.

I then found a very interesting, albeit non-scientific, study that was done. Check out:

Air X Marine long term test
(click on "wind generators comparison...")

Any thoughts?

Sven
Old 24-03-2011, 09:33   #8
NDH

Boat: Dufour 40

Spooky!!

We got back from a sail today and the guy two boats down had just had a wind generator fitted, brand spanking new!!

While we were having lunch in the cockpit the wind freshened and the blades began turning. With 12kts wind this thing was making an annoying humming sound so I thought I would just take a closer look.

Sorry, it was an Air Breeze
NDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 11:03   #9

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by norsewind View Post
I began to read about the "blue blades from Portugal" that people were talking about with regards to improving the Air Breeze's (and the Air X's) dB level. It was at that time that I came across a wind generator that really caught my eye: the Silentwind. The same people that made the blue blade "upgrade" for the Air machines came out with their own turbine.

Silentwindgenerator

Make sure you watch the videos that are embedded in the site.

I then found a very interesting, albeit non-scientific, study that was done. Check out:

Air X Marine long term test
(click on "wind generators comparison...")

Any thoughts?

Sven
Nice name, just make sure to give it back when you are done

I assume you have nothing to do with the company ?

The Silentwind certainly looks interesting ! Have you done any more research and found out how long they have been around and how reliable they are ? If the hype is actually true it might change our minds about not putting a wind generator on board, but there would have to be some kind of track record.

Thanks for the link.

-Sven
Old 24-03-2011, 19:52   #10

Sorry, can't give back the name

One thing that attracts me to the Silentwind is the fact that the charge controller that it comes with is a hybrid system designed to seemlessly combine the charging voltages of both the turbine and solar panels. If this works as advertised, then a huge headache will have been eliminated for me. I love the Blue Sky 3024 iL DUO but who knows how it will work with different turbines?

Here's the manual for the Silentwind charger:
http://www.silentwindgenerator.com/d...controller.pdf

I agree that a track record would be nice to have. Maybe this one will just require a leap of faith. I did see a couple of stores selling it. One in the Caribbean and one in Spain.

On the quest for the best wind generator,

Sven
Old 24-03-2011, 20:34   #11
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I have an Air X Marine and with the original blades and 15-20 knots of wind the noise made you think you were in a full gale. I bought the new blades from the Portuguese company and now the only noise is when the wind gets up and the mounting pole starts to vibrate. A friend at the dock opted for the Air Breeze, both our generators are, for the most part silent, the only difference is that the Air X is rated for twice the output. The new blades are pricey, around 170 euros as I recall but for me it was either spend the money or spend 3 times as much to go to a new generator.

You pays your money and takes your choice. I think ultimately I'll end up with a solar panel or two and a wind generator. We'll see how well the Air X does with the new blades. I know I can't believe the Air Marine sales reps. I lost the first one in a hurricane and when shopping for a new one at the boat show">Annapolis boat show and their rep told me the new ones were much quieter. Liar!! It was the same, I bought being of pure heart I believed the !@#$@#!. But still, the new blades make a world of difference.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 05:07   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC

As to output of the X vs the Breeze. According to the manufacturer, the Breeze starts to generate at lower wind speeds. That is supposed to compensate for the lower rated output by generating as much power over time. I guess it would depend on where you are and what kinds of average winds you get. Anyone with real world experience in this?
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 05:46   #13
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

If you click on the link above you will get some answers (as always, assuming we can rely upon the test): it seems the Breeze in fact does generate more at lower wind speeds and that it is not until winds are about 15 Knots or above, that the AirX has any advantage.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 06:33   #14

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

The last time I was at Catalina Island I was assigned a mooring next to a boat that had a wind generator. I don't know if it was an air-x or an air-breeze but that thing was absolutely horrible. At first we could handle the noise. But after a few hours it was just plain irritating and after a day it was driving us all crazy. It was so annoying that we finally requested a new mooring assignment and moved.
I can't imagine having one of those things on my boat. In my opinion it would make the cockpit pretty much unusable. In fact the people who owned the boat with the wind generator always stayed below. Now I know why.
After that experience I decided solar was, for me, the only option.
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 06:40   #15

I've had an Air X Marine 48 volt generator on my boat for 3 years operating 24/7 and has not required a bit of maintenance. I use it to help charge my 48 volt battery bank for my electric propulsion system. Perhaps I am not as sensitive to it's noise as others but, I don't find it objectionable. Then again I also have solar panels so the wind generator is mostly shutdown during the day because the solar panels are keeping the bank topped up. At other times the Air X comes on just long enough to keep the bank topped up usually just a few minutes before the regulator shuts it down. I also find whatever noise it generates helps clue me in aurally to what the wind is doing. Plus since I use electric propulsion "I love the sound of my Air X in the morning. Smells like energy!" I love it when my boat makes it's own fuel at anchor. That said I probably would still change the blades to these new ones mentioned here if they work as they say and hold up under actual cruising conditions. I would not change out the Air X for a new generator but, I would change the blades if it is that much of an improvement as claimed.