Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2011, 00:12   #16

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000
Re: AGM vs Sealed Lead Acid Battery

I have 5 x 105Ah AGMs, a 110A alternator and 2 x 130W solar panels...I have had this setip for 5 years now and the batteries still have >90% of their new capacity. Last year I lived on the boat in South Pacific for 6 momths and never used shore power.
The batteries are never discharged to less than 60% capacity, they don't need topping up..there's no acid anywhere..I think they are wonderful and I wouldn't go back to wet cells if you paid me !
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 00:12   #17

Boat: Gib sea 43

I have ordered 320w of solar and a mppt regulator, hopefully most of the time will be spent on the hook and little in marinas, so charging will either be from the engine or the solar, i was worried about the 14.4v from the alternator and agms since the float voltage is lower on agms than on gels?
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 00:27   #18

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensuf View Post
I have ordered 320w of solar and a mppt regulator, hopefully most of the time will be spent on the hook and little in marinas, so charging will either be from the engine or the solar, i was worried about the 14.4v from the alternator and agms since the float voltage is lower on agms than on gels?
If you have a constant 14.4 V from your alternator it sounds like you have an alternator with an internal (automotive) regulator.
You should have an alternator that is externally regulated with a 3-stage (bulk, absorb, float) otherwise you will never properly charge your batteries...and they won't last....

There are lots of posts on here, from me and others, about this.
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 00:35   #19

Flooded are rated at 200 cycles? That must be full charge to full discharge. Mine go from pretty happy every sunny afternoon to pretty sad by dawn. Everyday. Doing that for 4 years now. That's over 1500 cycles. So results may vary.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 05:57   #20

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

I cruise summers in BC and SE Alaska, on the hook maybe 2/3 of the time, plugged in at a marina maybe 1/10 of the time. No generator. House bank is 2 Deka g31 AGM's (105 AH each). They've just finished their 11th summer, and are not ready to be replaced yet.

Among advantages I value are: no maintenance, no leaking, very low self-discharge, and tolerance of Utah winter's cold temperatures without damage. Cost twice as much as flooded, last twice as long. Works for me.
NewMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 06:38   #21

Boat: Gib sea 43

Another thought, would normal lead acid service batteries leak when the boat is heeled?
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 07:11   #22

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Another thought, would normal lead acid service batteries leak when the boat is heeled?
Not if properly installed and tied down.
Old 26-09-2011, 07:17   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Re: Agm vs Sealed lead acid

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
The bottom line is the AGMs can be recharged faster than other lead-acid type batteries.
Very true but in the real world 9.5 out of 10 boats I work on do not have the capability to take advantage of the high acceptance of AGM's thus this benefit is very often being wasted..

Heck, half the boats I work on can't even charge at the 25% +/- that deep cycle wets can accept once the banks get big..

Also:

This is what Lifeline suggests for expected life based on care. How many of you guys fall into scenario #4?

#1 Fully charge after each discharge. Estimated life: 6-9 Years

Fully Recharge at least once a week and equalize once a month. Estimated life: 4-6 Years..

#3 Only recharge to 85% and equalize once a month. Estimated life: 2-4 years.

#4 Only charge to 85% and never equalize. Estimated life: 1 year.

Disclaimer: This was originally posted on the Morgan's Cloud web site and was an eye opener. I then called Lifeline and spoke with Justin G. to confirm this is still what they expect. It is..
Old 26-09-2011, 07:18   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Another problem is that if ever flodded with seawater they can release clorine gas
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 07:25   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Another proprolem blem is that if ever flodded with seawater they can release clorine gas
Anyone ever hear of someone being gassed with chlorine gas on a sailboat? Just wondering as this seems to me to be bordering on the absurd. I think this is from the U-boat days.
Old 26-09-2011, 07:27   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Very true but in the real world 9.5 out of 10 boats I work on do not have the capability to take advantage of the high acceptance of AGM's thus this benefit is very often being wasted..

Heck, half the boats I work on can't even charge at the 25% +/- that deep cycle wets can accept once the banks get big..

Also:

This is what Lifeline suggests for expected life based on care. How many of you guys fall into scenario #4?

#1 Fully charge after each discharge. Estimated life: 6-9 Years

Fully Recharge at least once a week and equalize once a month. Estimated life: 4-6 Years..

#3 Only recharge to 85% and equalize once a month. Estimated life: 2-4 years.

#4 Only charge to 85% and never equalize. Estimated life: 1 year.

Disclaimer: This was originally posted on the Morgan's Cloud web site and was an eye opener. I then called Lifeline and spoke with Justin G. to confirm this is still what they expect. It is..
#4's what happened to me. Expensive lesson.
Old 26-09-2011, 07:27   #27
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Only if installed improperly. They should be oriented so the cells from + to - or - to + go port to starboard not bow to stern. Many people and builders install wet cells incorrectly and this allows the electrolyte to move 6" + vs. approx 1/2" when heeled.
Old 26-09-2011, 07:27   #28

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post

Don't AGMs accept higher charge rates for longer than wet-cells? A wet-cell might accept its charging current till 85% full and then taper way off. An AGM till 90% full before tapering off. My AGMs basically will accept a charging current equal to how far down they are, within the range that I use them. So if they are down 80amps (20%), they will accept 80amps, at 40amps(10%)they accept 40amps and at 20amps, 20amps.
Old 26-09-2011, 07:29   #29
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
#4's what happened to me. Expensive lesson.
Many of the boats I work on are on moorings, it's Maine. Don't even get me going on how many failed banks of AGM's I have replaced at well before four years service.... Solar helps greatly in these situations but they still don't seem to outlast deep cycle wets for the double or more price premium. They do have many benefits but lots of boaters don't take advantage of them..
Old 26-09-2011, 07:33   #30

I'm using 4 8A4D AGM's for my 48 volt electric propulsion bank and they are still going strong after four years. I do keep them charged up with a three legged stool approach solar, wind and a Honda 2000 generator (via battery charger). I'm on mooring or hook most of the time. I also have 2 Gels for my 12 volt house bank which are the same age. Both banks are still going strong and I personally would not go back to flooded acid batteries. There's no maintenace issues and I never have to carry distilled water on board ever again or try to find it when cruising and no worries about battery acid spills.

Tags
agm, battery