Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2016, 04:25   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Re: AGM vs Golf Cart Acceptance Rate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
we often install ~200a of charging on a 40' sail boats up here. 1 hour of gen a day and 23h of inverter. ~800ah house banks.

using an inverter charger + big charger.
I know 200A seems like a lot of charging to many folks, but on an 800Ah bank this is still just a .25C charge rate. A 200A charge on an 800Ah bank is the same as charging a 400Ah bank at 100A...

With new AGM batteries you would be in bulk nearly the full hour from 50% SOC. The charge rate, in relation to bank size, is what really matters and drives charging speed. FWIW an 800Ah bank of flooded golf car batteries could also be safely charged at a .25C charge rate though they would be less charge efficient than an AGM..

Old 09-11-2016, 05:53   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Then think if you ever want to go with a LifePo bank, you will be able to use all the current you can get.
Plus with two, you have redundancy.
In my case, it wasn't really planned, it sort of evolved, I finally decided I wanted a "real" inverter, one that would be transparent and not require any re configuring. I came to this decision when I killed a 300W pure sine wave by applying shorepower and I forgot to disconnect it.
Plus its nice to be able to run the toaster without having to run the generator, and if your going to a "real" inverter, why not get one with a big charger?

As far as multiple charge sources, I will soon have four when I connect the Solar.
I would assume most boats have at least three, Solar, alternator and shorepower charger.

a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:46   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I came to this decision when I killed a 300W pure sine wave by applying shorepower and I forgot to disconnect it.
This is exactly why we have safety standards. A back feed capable type of installation, for a generator or inverter, does not meet any standards for land or marine use. On land it is actually illegal.

For safe inverter installations you need a manual or automatic transfer switch not a "suicide cable" connection. It is shocking the sheer number of inverters I see on boats using "suicide cables"...

Tags
agm