Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2019, 08:25   #1

Boat: 2000 Hunter 460 44ft
Aft A/C Unit Issues on 2000 Hunter 460

Hi all, new to this site and a first time owner of a sailboat along with living aboard. Our aft A/C unit is having issues and not turning on. We have tried using only the aft unit (having forward switch off) and still no luck. The thermostat does not turn on, no air flow etc.

Any thoughts or people have the same issue? Thank you so much in advance for the help.
00SoulMate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:13   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Aft A/C Unit Issues on 2000 Hunter 460

Welcome to the forum, Soulmate.

Be glad it's a total failure; that means it may simply be a blown breaker. Check that first, by flipping it hard off and then fully on.

Got a multimeter? If not, get one, digital, about $15 US. Go to one end of the circuit, either where you do have power, and can move toward the AC unit checking for voltage, or where you do not have power, and move toward the source. Gradually eliminate each possible node. Examples would be the panel switch and a reset in the AC itself. Learn this process. I can promise you that you will be doing it again in the future. Learn your way around your electrical system in the process.

If this does not turn out to be a power problem, collect the details from your exploration and come back to the forum with more specific questions.

Good luck with it.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:36   #3

Boat: 2000 Hunter 460 44ft

UPDATE: We started investigating the electrical system located in the aft. It appears there has been small electrical fire (time unknown) located within the Dometric U -control box.
00SoulMate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:24   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

one of those "it sucks, but is good" things
Old 02-12-2019, 10:46   #5
PHR

Boat: 2008 Hunter 49

I don't know if this will help, but I feel your pain.

I have a 2008 Hunter 49 that went through quite a bit of AC/Heat work in the last year. I have three units (forward berth, main salon, and aft cabins). The original manufacturer is apparently gone, but the replacement stuff from Dometic worked fine. In my case, the problems were several, but the main one had to do with the control panel, and not having any feasible replacement that would communicate with the main blower and unit in the salon. I replaced all three units, including the control panels, and now the entire system works as it should. I tried to just do little incremental repairs due to the cost, but now I'm glad I did it. It looks like you are in the same areas as me.
So, Sherwood Marine Systems in San Diego handled it. Highly recommended. Good luck.
PHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 16:32   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Wonderful! I hate it when something fails, but then I can't find something broken to blame it on. It sounds like you are well into mastering your electrical system. It will have to try harder to stump you next time.

Tags
hunter