Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2016, 10:52   #1

Adding switches and batteries

Hello everyone,

Currently I have 2 single circuits and a battery for each, the house circuit has lost charge within a few hours of use(possibly dying battery)which is recharged with sunsaver6 solar (unknown wattage recharge rate) to compensate this low voltage I have had to connect the starter battery whilst running the engine to facilitate the extra juice required. The solar eventually shows that the house battery has enough charge.

Now I have two new house batteries and would like to connect these as one bank and use the existing two as starter (older house and starter) since they next to each other, as a second bank.

the scenario is adding a new 4way switch (3point) and doing away with two single switches if necessary. I,m uncertain if connecting the common to both house and starter is ideal........and only really want to be able to connect the house power via switch (both)if starter bank faulty.

Switching between banks.....does this not reset instuments ie gps rebooting

Thanks for reading and appreciate any replies
tumblehome2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 11:16   #2

Boat: Sabre 38
Re: adding switches and batteries

You are in luck. This question has been answered a million times here.

http://forums.sailboatowners.com/ind...usings.137615/

(Ok, the link is not to this forum, but Maine Sail posts here as well. The guy is a master at this. You'd do well to take his advice. Stu Jackson's, too.)

Second, toss out the battery that is bad. One good battery plus one bad battery equals two bad batteries. In other words, the bad ruins the good. If the good one works, then leave it alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 11:23   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Tumblehome2 and welcome to the forum.

A few questions, comments and suggestions.

If you combine the two old batteries into one bank will that be for starting the engine or as a second house bank?

If as a second house bank what will you use to start the engine?

If one of the old batteries is dying it is not a good idea to keep it, especially connecting it to another, good battery.

To give good suggestions on how to deal with your situation it would help a LOT if you could give more details:

- How big and what kind are the existing batteries?
- How much power are you drawing from your house bank?
- Really need to know the output of the solar charger. If you have a big load and low rate of charge you will just kill any new batteries you buy.
- Why only charge the start battery from the alternator? The start battery only uses a very small amount of power when starting the engine. All charging should really go to the house batteries which typically use a lot of power every day running lights, pumps and such.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 11:29   #4

Boat: Catalina 30 Tall Rig

Agree that the bad battery should not be connected to a good one. Even if you replace the bad battery, you should only need one battery for the starting bank and would be better off bulking up your house bank with a third battery.
NOLA_sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 11:29   #5

Thanks ....sounds like good advice to remove the old one

I do apologise if this is nothing new...as i am new to the forum and have been reading a few already.

The old bank would become a starter bank and will remove failing battery so will be an a single starter which it is now as it stands

the load at present on the house is minimal......radios, internal and externa lights which im in the process of converting to led's gradually.Then adding the anchor winch to the starter battery.

2 New batteries are 110 a/h the older one was 90 a/h
Old 19-05-2016, 11:43   #6

Boat: Catalina 30 Tall Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumblehome2 View Post

I do apologise if this is nothing new...as i am new to the forum and have been reading a few already.

The old bank would become a starter bank and will remove failing battery so will be an a single starter which it is now as it stands

the load at present on the house is minimal......radios, internal and externa lights which im in the process of converting to led's gradually.Then adding the anchor winch to the starter battery.

No worries. Everyone started where you were.
NOLA_sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 11:58   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA_sailing View Post
No worries. Everyone started where you were.
Not me. I was born knowing everything.
Old 19-05-2016, 12:09   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Hi TH2

This is indeed a question that comes up very often. If you use the forum search function you will find some very detailed discussions on this issue. Look for posts by Stu Jackson and Maine Sail. They have posted diagrams and links to diagrams that show excellent wiring instructions including switches, charging, multiple batteries, etc.

A quick recommendation, the fool proof way to keep all your batteries charged and always have a good battery for starting the engine.

- Keep the starting battery isolated from house loads. This includes not putting the start battery on a 1-2-Both-Off switch. Too many boaters (including me) have forgotten to change the switch and ended up running down the start battery with house loads.

- Run all charging sources to the house bank.

- Add an automatic battery combiner like the Yandina combiner switch. This will connect the start battery to the house when the house batteries are being charged and disconnect them when there is no charge.

By the way, you asked about your electronics rebooting if you switch a battery switch. Make sure your battery switch is a make before break type. That means it connects the second battery before the first battery is switched off.
Old 19-05-2016, 14:33   #9

Thank you once again
Having read further info helpfully provided on here I'm understanding the better option is on and off with starter as reserve and if in dire straights to use both(1&2).

This method I believe removes human error and keeps it simple with backup on hand with second bank and both.

Thanks
Old 20-05-2016, 02:00   #10

how to filter the post for stu jackson......I did look up member and not listed
Old 20-05-2016, 03:33   #11

Re: Adding switches and batteries

here is a few links that might help
https://activecaptain.com/
and a new addition to the mix
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 03:35   #12

Re: Adding switches and batteries

Lets try again
1/BOTH/2/OFF Switches Thoughts & Musings | SailboatOwners.com Forums
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 09:25   #13

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:

I would have serious concerns about using a starter battery for an anchor winch also. JMHO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote