Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-10-2016, 10:29   #16

Boat: Stevens 47
Re: ACRs and Two Bank Battery Chargers

As a marine electrician, the best solution I've found so far is a Blue Seas P12 charger and ACR. The P12 charger is really nice and had the ability to manage the ACR! Blue Seas recommends commenting the charger to each bank (it's a three bank charger) with the ACR connected between the banks. The charger is connected to the ACR's disable lead so the charger can turn it off. When the charger is active, it disables the ACR so that it can manage the charge profiles of each bank independently. That is, go to absorb one one bank while floating the other one. When the charger is off, the ACR works as usual, combining the batteries when a charging source such as the engine alternator is available and separating the batteries when no charging source is operating. Good stuff!

Scott

Old 16-10-2016, 14:48   #17

Re: ACRs and Two Bank Battery Chargers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Glad you're enjoying the discussion... A TON of info to organize here...
Newer generation chargers have it in spades over older brute force charging...

FYI- I've had good luck with this guy on ebay, super nice, helpful answering questions about his current and future stocked items...
chargerguysales | eBay
Thanks, just joined. If I can help feel free to reach out.
Jason

Old 16-10-2016, 17:20   #18

Boat: Tartan 33
ACRs and Two Bank Battery Chargers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainted View Post
As a marine electrician, the best solution I've found so far is a Blue Seas P12 charger and ACR. The P12 charger is really nice and had the ability to manage the ACR! Blue Seas recommends commenting the charger to each bank (it's a three bank charger) with the ACR connected between the banks. The charger is connected to the ACR's disable lead so the charger can turn it off. When the charger is active, it disables the ACR so that it can manage the charge profiles of each bank independently. That is, go to absorb one one bank while floating the other one. When the charger is off, the ACR works as usual, combining the batteries when a charging source such as the engine alternator is available and separating the batteries when no charging source is operating. Good stuff!

Scott

Sainted

If you install the ACR without the blue seas on/off/combine switch don't you lose functionality???

Also in your set-up when the charger is just trickle charging, will the ACR combine or separate?

Final question, since your set-up opens the ACR during charging -- if a major load like the cooler is on it will use a high percentage of the possible charging current from one leg of the charger while the other is on trickle/float. Somehow that sounds like bad mojo. Could you help me understand?

Not looking to start anything just learn from the smart guys in the room.

Thanks

"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charger

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: