Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2012, 03:33   #1

Boat: Swan 77
AC Water Heater

A friend of mine has a problem with an AC Water Heater. He bought it last month and installed it himself. After about a week it stopped working and there was a small leak coming from the thermostat area. He sent it back to the manufacturer and they promptly sent him a new one but warned him that there was a hole in the element that had most likely been caused by galvanic corrosion. He said he has never had problems with that before and that the boat is well protected. My first thought is that the heater must have been installed incorrectly and maybe is causing a leak from neutral to ground, setting up a stray current from the element to the ground, which is dissolving the metal of the element very quickly. Any comments or thoughts on this would be much appreciated. These types of electrical problems are always brain twisters for me :O
jonmhammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 06:35   #2

Re: AC Water Heater

corrosion is by dc current. i think the manufacturer is crazy and just had a bad element installed. nothing is impossible though and i'm sure there's theories abound that will explain the corrosion. do you have a bonding wire attached to your heater casing? that will get things started.
tuberider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water