Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2017, 08:59   #1

Boat: Mainship MY 34
AC Tripping Breaker

I have two AC zones one water pump. My zone 1 works fine blows hot and cold no problems. Zone two on the other hand trips my shore power breaker only as soon as the compressor starts to make a sound that it is kicking in. Would love to hear what I should be testing or what I should be looking at.
Vandrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:11   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: AC Tripping Breaker

You have a short either in the conductors or the compressor.
Corrosion at connections can cause the short.
Start with the simple things first. Clean all connections, inspect wires for damage and try again.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:58   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
You have a short either in the conductors or the compressor.
Corrosion at connections can cause the short.
Start with the simple things first. Clean all connections, inspect wires for damage and try again.
Same exact thing for me. Amp meter goes way up then my breaker pops INSIDE the boat, not at shore power
84SeaRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 13:42   #4

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

Sometimes breakers get "tired" or overly sensitive.
I had the same problem with my 50amp Norhavan. Changed out the boat shore power breakers and the problem disappeared.
Olddan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 18:11   #5

Sounds like a bad capacitor in the a/c unit. Failure to start the compressor results in excessive amp draw and blown breakers.
boatbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 18:15   #6

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandrant View Post
I have two AC zones one water pump. My zone 1 works fine blows hot and cold no problems. Zone two on the other hand trips my shore power breaker only as soon as the compressor starts to make a sound that it is kicking in. Would love to hear what I should be testing or what I should be looking at.
Boatbod is correct. Ten bucks on you having a blown capacitor in your AC control box. It should be something in the range of 25 micro-farad. Stop trying to "start" your AC until you've checked or you'll cook the wiring as well as the capacitor. Once it's replaced, have you technician add a "soft start" controller so you can avoid the situation a second time.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 11:41   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Boatbod is correct. Ten bucks on you having a blown capacitor in your AC control box. It should be something in the range of 25 micro-farad. Stop trying to "start" your AC until you've checked or you'll cook the wiring as well as the capacitor. Once it's replaced, have you technician add a "soft start" controller so you can avoid the situation a second time.

FWIW...
Bingo! After getting quoted $3700 to replace the compressor, had a great contractor come in and replace the capacitor and acid flush system (I'll do it next time) for $250. Cool as a cucumber! Thanks for the input. Much appreciated (it made me sound like i knew my stuff)
Old 24-08-2017, 11:42   #8

Already had the easy start in place
Old 24-08-2017, 12:14   #9

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84SeaRay View Post
Bingo! After getting quoted $3700 to replace the compressor, had a great contractor come in and replace the capacitor and acid flush system (I'll do it next time) for $250. Cool as a cucumber! Thanks for the input. Much appreciated (it made me sound like i knew my stuff)
Ah... Don't forget my ten bucks (or a 6-pack of Anchor Steam Beer)! $260 all up!
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 12:23   #10

You got it.. let me know the next time you're cruising by Longboat Key