Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2018, 08:09   #1

AC Shore Power

Cruisers Forum Oracle, I seek your guidance and advice.

I am remodeling a sailboat and plan on sailing around the world in Nov 2019. I am trying to understand the best approach to accommodating both 120 / 220V shore power. It would seem that an Isolation Transform (IT) should be used but I noticed most IT are rated at 230V @ 30A which brings the 110V t0 around 16A There are 120v @ 50a ITs but they are very expensive. looking to see if I need to bite the expensive bullet or there are other approach to consider.

Here are a couple of options I have.

1. Use 230v shower power to only charge the batteries. If the batteries can not handle the AC load, run the generator.

2. Be able to convert 230V into 110v to supply boats needs while in a port.

I will continue to read the historical threads on this site. In the meantime if I could get some opinions on an approach to managing non-US AC power. That would be great. Thank you in advance. Cheers!!
Blue Lagoon SV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:09   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: AC Shore Power

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Blue Lagoon.

Quote:
... and plan on sailing around the world in Nov 2019 ...
That's going to be a very quick trip!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 05:04   #3

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Blue Lagoon.

That's going to be a very quick trip!
Agreed! Must be planning to look down at his boat from 40,000 feet!
Old 01-03-2018, 05:18   #4

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

I would consider solar power with enough panels to charge your batteries. If you don't have enough real estate on your boat for solar panels, then try to get enough solar panel for at least 50% of your power consumption and then perhaps for the time that you're steaming, if you upgrade your alternator to 100 or more amps, you'll be able to charge your batteries quickly.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 05:47   #5

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

In follow-up to my above post, the concept being that at this point as Cruisers we have an opportunity to become independent of shore power through the use of renewable energy. Obviously, we all run our engines at some point so to maximize your alternator capacity with an high output alternator also helps during those times that you run your engine.

I know it is not the question you asked, but my experience is that instead of messing with Shore power and Transformers for the different types of AC, becoming self-sustaining is very liberating.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:18   #6

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Lagoon SV View Post

I am remodeling a sailboat and plan on sailing around the world in Nov 2019. I am trying to understand the best approach to accommodating both 120 / 220V shore power. It would seem that an Isolation Transform (IT) should be used but I noticed most IT are rated at 230V @ 30A which brings the 110V t0 around 16A There are 120v @ 50a ITs but they are very expensive. looking to see if I need to bite the expensive bullet or there are other approach to consider.

1. Use 230v shower power to only charge the batteries. If the batteries can not handle the AC load, run the generator.

I will continue to read the historical threads on this site. In the meantime if I could get some opinions on an approach to managing non-US AC power. That would be great. Thank you in advance. Cheers!!
I don't believe this is a correct assumption. If the transformer will handle 30a @ 230v input, it should handle at least 30a @ 110v (conceivably up to 60a) on the output.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:58   #7

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Lagoon SV View Post

I work with a couple marine electrical guys that do this work all the time. The vast majority of the time they just go with battery charging at 230 VAC (if the boat is a US electrical native) and a large inverter. It really comes down to what you are trying to power. The big issue tends to be Air cond.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:27   #8
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat

+1 For Colin's post.
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shore power