Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2009, 22:54   #31
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat
Chala/GordMay
When working on supposedly "tagged and locked" circuits, something that you can never be sure of on any pleasure vessel, I keep my Fluke (or equivalent) contact voltage tester Fluke 1AC-II / 1LAC-II VoltAlert in front of me and use it to test the conductor or component that is "dead" before I touch it. This action occurs after I have initially tested the conductor or component with a Fluke electronic "Wiggins" Fluke T+PRO / T+ Voltage and Continuity Testers.

This old electrician intends to get quite a bit older.

Chala-
I would appreciate a response to the remainder of the comments in my 7/24/09 post.

Regards,
Charlie
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 00:43   #32

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
2. Press at least the freshwater marinas to install RCD devices, which would have prevented many of the electrocution deaths regardless of how the AC and DC grounds were wired. The RCD would force the boatowners to solve their wiring problems if they wanted dockpower.
What is RCD?
unbusted67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 02:37   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
RCD = Residual Current Device
An RCD provides much the same functionality as the GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter), protecting against an imbalance of current on the hot and neutral wires. If the current is not equal on both wires, some current is being lost to ground (a ground fault), and the unit trips (opens) cct).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieJ View Post
Chala/GordMay
When working on supposedly "tagged and locked" circuits, something that you can never be sure of on any pleasure vessel, I keep my Fluke (or equivalent) contact voltage tester Fluke 1AC-II / 1LAC-II VoltAlert in front of me and use it to test the conductor or component that is "dead" before I touch it. This action occurs after I have initially tested the conductor or component with a Fluke electronic "Wiggins" Fluke T+PRO / T+ Voltage and Continuity Testers...
Indeed; just the sort of belt & suspenders approach to electrical safety I advocated.
In addition to the performing the various & multiple "tests", it can't hurt to ground out any conductor, prior to tentatively touching it.

FWIW:
Those non-contact voltage testers (Cct. Alert, middle left) are great tools, but should only be trusted to indicate that a circuit is “live” - not that it’s safely “dead”.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	79testers-med.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	9090  

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 15:05   #34
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
I have my license for building electrical systems too and can support Gord here that after all the tests like Charlie described, we still brush the wire with the back-side of a finger before grabbing them. The tester is not trusted with out live, that's all.

Still, nobody seems to realize that most boats have NO grounding system so there's nothing to connect the safety ground from the shore power to. For those boats it's stupid to connect it to the battery negative as that is NOT a grounding system. Best thing is to install dynaplate(s) making a ground system and putting an isolation transformer in but the other way is outlets with GFCI or those RCD thingies. (what's the difference between an RCD and FGCI outlet??)

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 23:16   #35
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Nick-In the USA, the GFCI outlet has a trip spec of 6 mA. The whole boat RCDs that have been discussed in this thread have a 100 mA/100 msec trip spec.

Regarding "brushing the back of the hand against a conductor..." my strong position was based on the WIDE range of expertise amongst the readers of this forum.

Best regards,
Charlie
Old 28-07-2009, 12:51   #36
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
The whole boat RCDs that have been discussed in this thread have a 100 mA/100 msec trip spec.
I dont think so, The ABYC ELCI is a 30ma leakage spec.
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2009, 12:58   #37

Boat: Beneteau 46.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieJ View Post
Chala/GordMay
When working on supposedly "tagged and locked" circuits, something that you can never be sure of on any pleasure vessel, I keep my Fluke (or equivalent) contact voltage tester Fluke 1AC-II / 1LAC-II VoltAlert in front of me and use it to test the conductor or component that is "dead" before I touch it. This action occurs after I have initially tested the conductor or component with a Fluke electronic "Wiggins" Fluke T+PRO / T+ Voltage and Continuity Testers.
I can't tell you how many times a supposedly OFF house circuit turned out to really be on a 3-way switch that the homeowner 'remembered' after my voltmeter check.
gs41escapade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2009, 13:35   #38

CharlieJ
When working on an engine which is AC earthed how do yo “tag and lock” an earth wire? And what happen if it becomes temporary live?
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2009, 13:47   #39

Boat: Beneteau 46.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I have my license for building electrical systems too and can support Gord here that after all the tests like Charlie described, we still brush the wire with the back-side of a finger before grabbing them. The tester is not trusted with out live, that's all.
I must confess, I do the backside brush test even after the fluke tests. Habit. And saved me from potentially worse interactions with wires more than once.
gs41escapade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2009, 22:12   #40
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

goboatingnow-You are absolutely correct...the ABYC standard is 30 mA/100 msec as I posted in this thread earlier. Fingers moving faster than brain!

For those that have good results with the brush test...excellent. I still think that there is such a wide level expertise on this forum that I would not recommend this.

Charlie