Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 14:17   #1

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 38
AC bonding via Dynaplate?

I have a Dynaplate installed that is no longer needed (boat came with two ssb's) and was wondering if the AC ground and charger/inverter chassis grounding cable that I currently have connected to the main DC bus bar (per the install instructions) would be better off connected to the Dynaplate? Benefit would be keeping the two systems separate therefore less stray current eating away at my zinc's?
Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 18:57   #2

Boat: 48 Californian
Re: AC bonding via Dynaplate?

The ABYC says to bond. 11.5.3.3, .1, .2. Bonding of the AC grounding conductor and the DC negative conductor will reduce stray current. It is also a safety issue. If an AC hot should contact a DC wire it will go to earth and trip your main breaker. If you are having zinc problems it is not because the systems are bonded. I would add the dynaplate to the bonding system as it will corrode just like a prop or thru hull. I'll be back tomorrow for the argument!!
Vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:51   #3

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 38
Thanks! So it sounds like there would be no benefit. The previous owner wired a mystery black wire to it that I will need to check out... There is no lightning protection system so I really hope he didn't decide that the dynaplate was easier to wire to than a negative post on the battery for an instrument or something.
Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:23   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: Philip Rhodes Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyndance View Post
The ABYC says to bond. 11.5.3.3, .1, .2. Bonding of the AC grounding conductor and the DC negative conductor will reduce stray current. It is also a safety issue. If an AC hot should contact a DC wire it will go to earth and trip your main breaker. If you are having zinc problems it is not because the systems are bonded. I would add the dynaplate to the bonding system as it will corrode just like a prop or thru hull. I'll be back tomorrow for the argument!!
Actually bonding of the AC grounding conductor and the DC negative conductor is the major cause of stray current. It is via this bond that underwater metal gets connected to shore power ground and CAUSES electrolysis. Unfortunately, as Vyn pointed out, it is a necessary connection for safety.
Andina Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:28   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythm View Post
Thanks! So it sounds like there would be no benefit. The previous owner wired a mystery black wire to it that I will need to check out... There is no lightning protection system so I really hope he didn't decide that the dynaplate was easier to wire to than a negative post on the battery for an instrument or something.
Yes, that's a common misunderstanding. Bonding and grounds are two separate things.

The West Advisor: Marine Grounding Systems
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote