Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2017, 13:58   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Absorbtion Time for AGMs

Got it
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 14:07   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
It may help to know that there is really no such thing as bulk, bulk is nothing more than absorption, but due to limited Charger size, absorption voltage is unachievable. Also "full" is of course the end of absorption, so it could be said that there really is only one stage of charging, absorption.
Yes, thats one way to look at it...which maybe fits LifeLine's equation better, but both Ample Power (NS2) and BlueSky (3000i) use the bulk/ absorption/float terminology consistently.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 14:12   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Marketing makes them all call it three stage charging.
If everybody else is selling three stage chargers, and you sell a two stage, how well do you think your sales will do?
I think maybe my Balmar 614 may even have three voltages? However I've just recently installed the thing and have not even programmed it yet
Old 30-04-2017, 14:13   #19

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
As stated, I have, and my reading comprehension is quite good. The LifeLine manual does indeed give a formula for "time to reach full charge", but this formula is for total time, not just ABT. . . .
Top of page 20 - 3hr for batteries consistently recharged from 30-50% DoD.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	146563  
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 14:21   #20

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Top of page 20 - 3hr for batteries consistently recharged from 30-50% DoD.
Aha, Im not going senile after all ! We have different versions of the LifeLine docs. Mine does not have that table.

Sorry for the confusion.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 14:23   #21

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Aha, Im not going senile after all ! We have different versions of the LifeLine docs. Mine does not have that table.

Sorry for the confusion.
I was starting to wonder if you were looking at a different document.

The one I linked to is the general one on the Lifeline website.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 14:47   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
It may help to know that there is really no such thing as bulk, bulk is nothing more than absorption, but due to limited Charger size, absorption voltage is unachievable.
There is such a thing as "bulk charging". Bulk is constant current or the max current potential of the current source before the constant voltage set point has been achieved.
Old 30-04-2017, 14:59   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Absorbtion Time for AGMs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
There is such a thing as "bulk charging". Bulk is constant current or the max current potential of the current source before the constant voltage set point has been achieved.

You were the one I believe that pointed out that bulk was just a charger trying to get to absorption voltage but could not due to it was current limited, and in fact nothing happens, no difference In programming etc occurs when the charger hits voltage set point and current begins to drop, just it hit its voltage set point was all.
That in fact a three stage charger was actually two stage?
Float is a maintainer voltage, very little charging occurs in float, that the bank should be ideally 100% charged prior to float?
Did I not understand?

On edit, I guess a time will start once absorption voltage is reached if termination is to be done by time
Old 30-04-2017, 15:04   #24

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Bulk and absorption are marketing terms. In both cases, the regulator maintains a desired set point -- or at least tries to.

It's like the cruise control in your car having an "acelleration" phase and a "setpoint" phase. Nothing changes, at least from a programming or design standpoint. With a sufficiently large charge source, there is no "bulk" phase.

Now, I guess in a perfect world, the battery mfgr would like you to limit charge to 20% of capacity. A regulator that is aware of amps (few are) could then control amps and then control volts, creating a true bulk phase .
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 15:14   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

In this case though as we are talking about Lifeline AGM's, it would be one truly monsterous charger. I think a Lifeline can initially accept up to 5C charge rate, for my 660 amp hr bank, that would be well in excess of 3000 amps
Old 30-04-2017, 19:13   #26
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

The charger should ideally be .4C -.6C, 5C may be theoretically OK but boy you'd need some amazing wiring, switches, fuses etc, and you'd likely be impacting bank lifespan.

The real Absorb termination point should be current dropping to .005C

Setting an absorption TIME parameter will vary enormously depending on the DoD and charge rate, and will be a trial & error guesstimate to get to the end Current, and of course assumes some consistency.

So really, why not just try to get a controller that can be set to terminate Absorb based on current?

If solar alone rarely gets you to full (float), then you should IMO be burning some fuel at least a few mornings per week, past hitting Absorb, or else your very expensive bank won't last as long as it could.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:02   #27

In my experience with Lifeline, 14.3 is too low and risks premature sulfation. You are better off charging a little harder around 14.6.
boatbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:13   #28

In my experience with Lifeline, 14.3 is too low and risks premature sulfation. You are better off charging a little harder around 14.6.
boatbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:24   #29

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Quote:
You were the one I believe that pointed out that bulk was just a charger trying to get to absorption voltage but could not due to it was current limited, and in fact nothing happens, no difference In programming etc occurs when the charger hits voltage set point and current begins to drop, just it hit its voltage set point was all.
That in fact a three stage charger was actually two stage?
Did I not understand?

FWIW... and everyone has probably seen these already...

In Nigel Calder's "Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual" I've found Figure 6-7 ("Three-Stage Charge Curve") helpful to conceptualize the difference between bulk and absorption.

Also, Maine Sail's Compass Marine site and his short description of bulk and absorption charges -- scroll about halfway down the page -- here: Compass Marine How To's Photo Galleries at pbase.com

-Chris
Old 01-05-2017, 04:29   #30

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbod View Post

The Lifeline manual recommends 14.3V plus/minus .1V at 77°F (25°C).

Maybe your normal temperature conditions are different from that?

-Chris

Tags
agm