Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2013, 05:37   #31

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: A Wind Generator Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanPlanet View Post
Anyone here tried the SilentWind from Portugal?
I've just purchased one, but have not yet installed it (water is hard up here until May ). I can tell you the build quality seems very good. I will give a full report once we've put it through its paces, but that won't be until September.
Old 19-03-2013, 05:48   #32
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: A Wind Generator Review

I still an Aerogen fan... seen most of the other makes on others boats... no thanks..
Have to take a look at the Silent Wind as its a local product.. let you know when I know more.
OUCH... just looked at the site... EU 1,193 + 23%VAT.... Get outa here... I'll stick with my clunky looking but quiet and efficient Aerogens
http://maxingout.com/aerogen_6_wind_generators.htm

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 06:13   #33

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
Not that I can afford one but I am interested in hearing from various people about their wind generators. SNIP
While I don't have one there are many in the harbor where I am moored and I often pass close to them going to the dock or visiting friends who have them. In addition at one time I considered getting one so I did some research. This research included talking with the previous owner of my boat who removed the wind generator.

The first thing I learned is that mounting the wind generator is a non trivial task. A poor mounting will result in the best wind generator producing noise and vibration that will annoy most folks and can lower the output. I have also talked to many folks who say the reality is that in many locations there is simply not enough wind for any wind generator to produce enough power.

This is not to say there are not many folks who are happy with their wind generators, just that from my perspective the learning curve and skills necessary to install and maintain a wind generator did not justify the additional power they would provide. But I in living on my boat since 19 Nov 2012 it took me about a month to put my Honda 2000 in the back of my van since the solar array and house batteries are more than adequate for my needs.

YMMV
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 14:59   #34

Most people don't understand the contribution that a wind generator makes. They read the stats and are completely misled. On its own, a wind generator doesn't make much power, but it will double the output of your solar panels.

What! How can that be?

Well, I had one of those really noisy wind generators and, like so many cruisers, finally chucked it in the water. The next day, the boat was covered in bird **** and the electrical current from my solar panels was cut in half.
Bambolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 17:29   #35

Boat: Hunter, 31-foot
Send a message via Skype™ to Syserenity

I´m sort of confused? Today I tried to buy a Southwest Windpower in order to safe the investment I have done on the Pole and the installation of the electrical (about USD 1´300). But in the afternoon I got the response, Southwest Windpower with the Air Breeze (a well commented and appreciated wind generator has gone bancrupt yesterday). So, if all these Guys say to do so good businesses, why one after another go bancrupt? In case of the Ista Breeze 500, who let me down so miserably I can understand if they go down the drain, but Air Breeze had a very good reputation, what´s going on?
Syserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 18:24   #36
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syserenity View Post
I´m sort of confused? Today I tried to buy a Southwest Windpower in order to safe the investment I have done on the Pole and the installation of the electrical (about USD 1´300). But in the afternoon I got the response, Southwest Windpower with the Air Breeze (a well commented and appreciated wind generator has gone bancrupt yesterday). So, if all these Guys say to do so good businesses, why one after another go bancrupt? In case of the Ista Breeze 500, who let me down so miserably I can understand if they go down the drain, but Air Breeze had a very good reputation, what´s going on?
You may have gotten some bad info? SouthWest Windpower sold the AIR product line to Primus in January.
Southwest Windpower
Old 20-03-2013, 05:10   #37

Boat: Hunter, 31-foot
Send a message via Skype™ to Syserenity

@Bash: I just got the info from a Distributor for Central USA. Southwest Windpower had filed 2 days ago bancrupcy and the CEO has put the company on the market for sale. Probably the sale you are talking blew? Who knows. Anyway, finally I got the attention of IstaBreeze and they are sending by Express a replacement.
Syserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 08:37   #38

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syserenity View Post
@Bash: I just got the info from a Distributor for Central USA. Southwest Windpower had filed 2 days ago bancrupcy and the CEO has put the company on the market for sale. Probably the sale you are talking blew? Who knows. Anyway, finally I got the attention of IstaBreeze and they are sending by Express a replacement.
Did you call Primus?
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 00:46   #39

Boat: Hunter Legend 420 Passage
Re: A wind generator review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
KISS ....10 knots of wind= 10 amps/hour each additional knot of wind gives you 1 more amp per hour-
I'm suspect you are spreading nonsense! I quote from the KISS manual on their website!!!

"The unit will not put out any appreciable amount of power until the wind reaches 10 knots when it will produce 2 amps..... 9 amps at 15 kts....18 amps at 20kts....."
sailinglegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 01:13   #40

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
When someone uses crap units like Amps/hour, I just skip over whatever other nonsense they write.
If they do not understand what an Ampere is, they should be asking questions, not answering them.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 01:48   #41

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Anyone know anything about marinekinetix mk450?
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 03:24   #42

Boat: Gib'Sea 472

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjmin View Post
Superwind is the best I believe
Superwind rules
amadeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 03:35   #43

Boat: Hunter Legend 420 Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
.....If they do not understand what an Ampere is, they should be asking questions, not answering them.
I agree, but there are too many people wasting time on these sometimes very technical forums. This is a Cruisers Forum, not a weekend - playing about in boats - I haven't got a clue and "can't be bothered to read the manual" - forum. Maybe that's what we need a Newbies Forum.

I've learn't a lot here and am happy to contribute my thoughts, based on my experiences as a full-time liveaboard for 8 years.

Too many people just offer opinions, which are often rubbish and then everybody has to read it! That can spoil a good thread and it's usual the same serial offenders who accept no point of view other than their own; I'm sorry but I have become rather bored with that "Forum" culture and may stop posting soon.
sailinglegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 13:47   #44

Boat: 1981 Ta Tong Cape Horn Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544

All, We have a "group" Beneteau in the BVI's that we recently installed an Air Breeze wind generator on a 10' vibration dampened mast (eMarine.com) and are very happy with it. It is reasonably quiet and provides enough self regulated power to keep our AGM house batteries topped while running an Isotherm 12v refrigerator full time. The purchase was extensively researched by one of our group who is an electrical engineer, who said the Air Breeze won out hands down over the others.
gts1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:27   #45

Boat: Taswell 49

Anyone have experience with the Sunforce 600? http://www.sunforceproducts.com/prod...nual092311.pdf

Specs seem impressive for the price which makes me very reluctant. 600 watts at 24kts? Cut in speed of 4.5kts? All for only $800? I believe West Marine is carrying this product now.

Tags
generator, wind generator, reviews