Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2014, 05:42   #121

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
My lawyer said I shouldn't answer this question. but I'll tell you how my mine is mounted not how you should do it, that should save me from a lawsuit. Mine is mounted so the top of my pointy head doesn't hit it. now if I would raise my arms close to a spinning object I think I get what I deserve. Mine is an amp air so I pretty much never shut it down but I think if you want to have access to shutting it down it's worth the risk of raising your hands and having your fingers cut off. JMHO. Just got a phone call from my lawyer he says to erase that last part
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 03:07   #122

Boat: O'Day 28
Re: A Wind Generator Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
My lawyer said I shouldn't answer this question. but I'll tell you how my mine is mounted not how you should do it, that should save me from a lawsuit. Mine is mounted so the top of my pointy head doesn't hit it. now if I would raise my arms close to a spinning object I think I get what I deserve. Mine is an amp air so I pretty much never shut it down but I think if you want to have access to shutting it down it's worth the risk of raising your hands and having your fingers cut off. JMHO. Just got a phone call from my lawyer he says to erase that last part
Hmmmm. No doubt the blades would leave a mark. Seems like I should get more amps for all the hassle. It blew all day yesterday and the genny lost about 60ah mostly to the reefer.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 19:39   #123

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Well +1 to Silentwind... I contacted them directly about our issue and they didn't bat an eye and diagnosed that its possible that it was shipped with a bad bearing. No arguing and no back and forth. They are sending me a new one and all they ask is that they get the old one back.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 12:05   #124

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

We just installed our replacement silentwind and its working MUCH better now. No low end bearing growl, and it actually will swing into the wind when it is supposed to. Output power is noticeably better.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2014, 10:15   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Demeter View Post
Anyone have experience with the Sunforce 600? http://www.sunforceproducts.com/prod...nual092311.pdf

Specs seem impressive for the price which makes me very reluctant. 600 watts at 24kts? Cut in speed of 4.5kts? All for only $800? I believe West Marine is carrying this product now.
I have one of those. It doesn't deliver what Sunforce claim. It's a piece of junk, not worth the time and effort to install it. Below 15 knots of wind it produce nothing. And it shut itself at 20. Customer support sucks as the product.
dancor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2014, 17:16   #126

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancor01 View Post
I have one of those. It doesn't deliver what Sunforce claim. It's a piece of junk, not worth the time and effort to install it. Below 15 knots of wind it produce nothing. And it shut itself at 20. Customer support sucks as the product.
I like ours. It's big and shuts down @ 25 or so but other than that, the output is right on spec (measured 3 ph a/c voltage.) We start getting juice @ about 8. I called one time for support and they were great.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2014, 17:30   #127

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

Zboss, you were pretty unlucky! I've done quite a few Silentwind units for people around the world now, and not had a SINGLE problem. The new controller is a big improvement as well. Pleased to hear you got good service - I've not had to try that yet!!
Old 16-11-2014, 18:23   #128

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Anyone know where to dig to find a good Redwing? I'd LOVE a spare, despite their ancientness & archaic design.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2014, 23:32   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I like ours. It's big and shuts down @ 25 or so but other than that, the output is right on spec (measured 3 ph a/c voltage.) We start getting juice @ about 8. I called one time for support and they were great.
Ok, then what is so different between your's and mine. Don't think it's the wires cause I used #8 gauge.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:26   #130

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Demeter View Post
Anyone have experience with the Sunforce 600? http://www.sunforceproducts.com/prod...nual092311.pdf

Specs seem impressive for the price which makes me very reluctant. 600 watts at 24kts? Cut in speed of 4.5kts? All for only $800? I believe West Marine is carrying this product now.
(just reading these wind gen posts as I am looking for new one)

I have had Sunforce 600 (12v) for a little over 2 years.
Original unit came with a bad controller out of the box
Output is good in 10+knots, miniscule below 8kts
Over speed control worked fine
Noise: moderate
2nd controller burned out 2 1/2 months ago. Sunforce has not had a controller in stock during this time. Controller cannot be serviced. Because the generator outputs AC, generator cannot wire direct to batteries.
Michael Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:25   #131

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: A Wind Generator Review

Thks. Always good to hear the scoop first hand.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:34   #132

Can say with all the review I saw, I would have stayed away from the sunforce. $800 is to expensive for a product that doesn't deliver real amps.
Old 17-01-2015, 04:44   #133

Boat: Hunter 340

A cruising friend of mine installed the SilentWind generator on his boat. I could not believe how QUIET it is!! I want one!
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 08:59   #134
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

SilentWind generators are a poor copy of SuperWind 350s. I have examined both units and the workmanship of the Superwind is far superior to any small wind generator on the market. SuperWinds have the highest output. 27 amps at 12v or 350 watts.

Wanna talk about "quiet". When first installed in 2009, I knew that the SuperWinds were the quietest wind generators on the market. A few years later, when one of my "helpful" crew put an oar against the spinning blades, I had to replace all three blades as they are matched in weight. The new blades had a small row of "bumps" added to the front side of the blades and that made the SuperWind even quieter. In fact, it is so quiet that when it is running and I am in the cabin, I have to actually look at the unit to see if it is spinning.

The SuperWind used to give a low "whoosh" when I had the boat "in the groove", with the new blades, I don't hear anything.

SuperWinds are the most powerful units in the market, there are no plastic parts except for the blades. Any aluminum parts are marine-grade.

When my crew broke a blade, I called the manufacturer and they expressed a new set of blades that were in my hands the following day.

After five years of heavy use in the summer, I haven't had a single problem. Their voltage regulator and the ability to shunt extra output to two large resistors prevents the SuperWind from overcharging.

Not that I have experienced this, but when the wind really pipes up, the blades feather, so there is no need to stop the unit from running or fix the blades. When not in use, there is an electric brake that prevents the blades from spinning quickly.

Great product, great service and no, I don't work for SuperWind, I am just a delighted customer.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 10:04   #135

Boat: Rafiki 37

I've had a Silentwind for a few years now (seasonal use). It replaced an old Air-X. The Silentwind has performed pretty much to spec. power wise, and it is darn quiet. It's not "silent" but we easily carry on a normal conversation in the cockpit with it whirring away above our heads. A boat-length away it is completely silent.

I've had no issues with the build quality so far. It is certainly built as well as my old Air-X, and that darn thing lasted for 12+ years (unfortunately ). I can't comment on build quality vs the Superwinds. They look great as well. I seem to recall that their cost was quite a bit higher than the Silentwind (at least when I was purchasing).

Tags
generator, wind generator, reviews