Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 08:03   #1
Registered User
 
Panope's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Washington State
Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'
Posts: 1,593
A Quiet Inverter

I would like to buy an inverter that is silent. Does anyone make one that does not have a fan? Looking for about 500 watt capacity. Pure sine wave. My preference is to mount the unit in the main cabin and plug appliances directly into it. Thanks.

Steve
__________________

Panope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:23   #2
Registered User
 
transmitterdan's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Boat: Valiant 42
Posts: 4,033
At 500W it is unlikely you will find something without a fan. This is because the cost would be very much higher. Some units use variable speed fans. So you may wish to look for a higher power unit such as 2kW with variable speed fan. Then test it to see if the fan will be mostly silent at 200-300W.
__________________

__________________
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:25   #3
Senior Cruiser
 
rebel heart's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,190
Images: 3
Re: A Quiet Inverter

I have a xantrek (I know, garbage) 1000w that has performed flawlessly and I can't hear it (or its tiny fan) at all. Pure sine wave.
__________________
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:41   #4
Registered User
 
transmitterdan's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Boat: Valiant 42
Posts: 4,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I have a xantrek (I know, garbage) 1000w that has performed flawlessly and I can't hear it (or its tiny fan) at all. Pure sine wave.
What is the model #? I am also looking for same thing as OP. It sounds like this might be what I need (even though it took a vow never to buy their products again).
__________________
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:45   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,779
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: A Quiet Inverter

i bought a xantrex 1000 invertor, found it not to function, bought a spare invertor of 1000 wtt capacity, use that, friend fixed the xantrex--it was the toggle switch not functioning... something about connections in the brand new item.....easily fixed..
my xantrex charger invertor system, on my ericson is fine, and the fan is almost silent, but that is an older, pre-china model.....
i have yet to find any completely silent invertors.
let me know if you do find some.
zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:53   #6
Senior Cruiser
 
rebel heart's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,190
Images: 3
Re: A Quiet Inverter

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
What is the model #? I am also looking for same thing as OP. It sounds like this might be what I need (even though it took a vow never to buy their products again).
I got this one:

Xantrex PROwatt SW 1000 Power Inverter

The charger I have from them is rather crummy. It frequently goes offline from "overheating" and just randomly blinks on and off. So if you're in the states and can handle returning it the unit if it's a dud, go for it.

There's also no remote (or I don't have one if there is one), which kind of sucks because I have it mounted in the battery compartment and I'd like to be able to turn it on and off so the SSB doesn't get noisy.
__________________
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:17   #7
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 2,943
Re: A Quiet Inverter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
I would like to buy an inverter that is silent. Does anyone make one that does not have a fan? Looking for about 500 watt capacity. Pure sine wave. My preference is to mount the unit in the main cabin and plug appliances directly into it. Thanks.

Steve
Why not just locate the inverter somewhere else?
__________________
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:29   #8
Registered User
 
transmitterdan's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Boat: Valiant 42
Posts: 4,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Why not just locate the inverter somewhere else?
For us the answer is we already have a big inverter someplace else. But I also wanted a smaller one for the times when all we want is to watch a DVD. The cabin is already wired for a small inverter and I don't feel the need to spend some days rewiring. Plus it's nice to have a backup.

RH, thanks for the link. I worry a bit about the RF noise but I can return if it wipes out reception.
__________________
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:31   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: canada
Posts: 1,701
Re: A Quiet Inverter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I got this one:

Xantrex PROwatt SW 1000 Power Inverter

The charger I have from them is rather crummy. It frequently goes offline from "overheating" and just randomly blinks on and off. So if you're in the states and can handle returning it the unit if it's a dud, go for it.

There's also no remote (or I don't have one if there is one), which kind of sucks because I have it mounted in the battery compartment and I'd like to be able to turn it on and off so the SSB doesn't get noisy.

I'm pretty sure the panel is removable and can be mounted anywhere. probably just need a phone cable. I think they even come with a blank plate to fill the hole when you buy it.

also that website shows the optional external switch...
__________________
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 13:42   #10
Registered User
 
Panope's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Washington State
Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'
Posts: 1,593
Re: A Quiet Inverter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Why not just locate the inverter somewhere else?
Panope has no A/C power system. If I mount the inverter in the mechanical area I will have to run an extension cord sorta permanently = cheesy.

Also, I am very paranoid about any out-of-sight electrical equipment. I want to be immediately notified of any smoldering or burning so that I have some chance of putting out the fire before the hull insulation ignites.

Metal boat + blown-in-insulation + fire = My worst nightmare.

Steve
Panope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 14:10   #11
Senior Cruiser
 
rebel heart's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,190
Images: 3
Re: A Quiet Inverter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
I'm pretty sure the panel is removable and can be mounted anywhere. probably just need a phone cable. I think they even come with a blank plate to fill the hole when you buy it.

also that website shows the optional external switch...
__________________
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 17:32   #12
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 2,943
Re: A Quiet Inverter

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
For us the answer is we already have a big inverter someplace else. But I also wanted a smaller one for the times when all we want is to watch a DVD. The cabin is already wired for a small inverter and I don't feel the need to spend some days rewiring. Plus it's nice to have a backup.
Sure... in your case you'd obviously just grab a smallish fanless inverter ( < 200w ) I have a couple of 75W inverters like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope
Panope has no A/C power system. If I mount the inverter in the mechanical area I will have to run an extension cord sorta permanently = cheesy.

Also, I am very paranoid about any out-of-sight electrical equipment. I want to be immediately notified of any smoldering or burning so that I have some chance of putting out the fire before the hull insulation ignites.

Metal boat + blown-in-insulation + fire = My worst nightmare.
Understood.

Unless your batteries are in the cabin, you may pay more to run heavy DC wire to the inverter than it would cost to run one properly-installed AC outlet. That may be a consideration.

My worst nightmare involves Roseanne Barr and food poisoning. But this isn't the place to elaborate.
__________________
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 18:05   #13
Registered User
 
transmitterdan's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Boat: Valiant 42
Posts: 4,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post

Sure... in your case you'd obviously just grab a smallish fanless inverter ( < 200w ) I have a couple of 75W inverters like that.
I could not find a sine wave inverter at 200W that has no (or at least silent) fan. There are lots of quasi sinusoidal but my DVD player and TV won't work on them.
__________________
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 18:19   #14
Registered User
 
Panope's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Washington State
Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'
Posts: 1,593
Re: A Quiet Inverter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Unless your batteries are in the cabin, you may pay more to run heavy DC wire to the inverter than it would cost to run one properly-installed AC outlet. That may be a consideration.
A good point.

If I mount the inverter on the galley bulkhead, It will be about a 5 foot run to the battery switch panel - so 10 feet round trip. Not to bad.

While I was looking at wire size charts, I got to thinking about the inverter's power rating. Most have a "surge" rating of double the normal rating. Does one size the wire for the surge or for the normal rating?

Steve
Panope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:26   #15
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post

Panope has no A/C power system. If I mount the inverter in the mechanical area I will have to run an extension cord sorta permanently = cheesy.

Also, I am very paranoid about any out-of-sight electrical equipment. I want to be immediately notified of any smoldering or burning so that I have some chance of putting out the fire before the hull insulation ignites.

Metal boat + blown-in-insulation + fire = My worst nightmare.

Steve
Then put a smoke alarm in with it.


Dave
__________________

__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
inverter

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:25.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.