Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 07:03   #1

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'
A Quiet Inverter

I would like to buy an inverter that is silent. Does anyone make one that does not have a fan? Looking for about 500 watt capacity. Pure sine wave. My preference is to mount the unit in the main cabin and plug appliances directly into it. Thanks.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:23   #2

Boat: Valiant 42
At 500W it is unlikely you will find something without a fan. This is because the cost would be very much higher. Some units use variable speed fans. So you may wish to look for a higher power unit such as 2kW with variable speed fan. Then test it to see if the fan will be mostly silent at 200-300W.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:25   #3

Re: A Quiet Inverter

I have a xantrek (I know, garbage) 1000w that has performed flawlessly and I can't hear it (or its tiny fan) at all. Pure sine wave.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:41   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I have a xantrek (I know, garbage) 1000w that has performed flawlessly and I can't hear it (or its tiny fan) at all. Pure sine wave.
What is the model #? I am also looking for same thing as OP. It sounds like this might be what I need (even though it took a vow never to buy their products again).
Old 09-11-2013, 07:45   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i bought a xantrex 1000 invertor, found it not to function, bought a spare invertor of 1000 wtt capacity, use that, friend fixed the xantrex--it was the toggle switch not functioning... something about connections in the brand new item.....easily fixed..
my xantrex charger invertor system, on my ericson is fine, and the fan is almost silent, but that is an older, pre-china model.....
i have yet to find any completely silent invertors.
let me know if you do find some.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:53   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
What is the model #? I am also looking for same thing as OP. It sounds like this might be what I need (even though it took a vow never to buy their products again).
I got this one:

Xantrex PROwatt SW 1000 Power Inverter

The charger I have from them is rather crummy. It frequently goes offline from "overheating" and just randomly blinks on and off. So if you're in the states and can handle returning it the unit if it's a dud, go for it.

There's also no remote (or I don't have one if there is one), which kind of sucks because I have it mounted in the battery compartment and I'd like to be able to turn it on and off so the SSB doesn't get noisy.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:17   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
I would like to buy an inverter that is silent. Does anyone make one that does not have a fan? Looking for about 500 watt capacity. Pure sine wave. My preference is to mount the unit in the main cabin and plug appliances directly into it. Thanks.

Steve
Why not just locate the inverter somewhere else?
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:29   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
For us the answer is we already have a big inverter someplace else. But I also wanted a smaller one for the times when all we want is to watch a DVD. The cabin is already wired for a small inverter and I don't feel the need to spend some days rewiring. Plus it's nice to have a backup.

RH, thanks for the link. I worry a bit about the RF noise but I can return if it wipes out reception.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:31   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I got this one:

Xantrex PROwatt SW 1000 Power Inverter

The charger I have from them is rather crummy. It frequently goes offline from "overheating" and just randomly blinks on and off. So if you're in the states and can handle returning it the unit if it's a dud, go for it.

There's also no remote (or I don't have one if there is one), which kind of sucks because I have it mounted in the battery compartment and I'd like to be able to turn it on and off so the SSB doesn't get noisy.

I'm pretty sure the panel is removable and can be mounted anywhere. probably just need a phone cable. I think they even come with a blank plate to fill the hole when you buy it.

also that website shows the optional external switch...
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:42   #10

Quote:
Panope has no A/C power system. If I mount the inverter in the mechanical area I will have to run an extension cord sorta permanently = cheesy.

Also, I am very paranoid about any out-of-sight electrical equipment. I want to be immediately notified of any smoldering or burning so that I have some chance of putting out the fire before the hull insulation ignites.

Metal boat + blown-in-insulation + fire = My worst nightmare.

Steve
Old 09-11-2013, 13:10   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
I'm pretty sure the panel is removable and can be mounted anywhere. probably just need a phone cable. I think they even come with a blank plate to fill the hole when you buy it.

also that website shows the optional external switch...
Old 09-11-2013, 16:32   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
For us the answer is we already have a big inverter someplace else. But I also wanted a smaller one for the times when all we want is to watch a DVD. The cabin is already wired for a small inverter and I don't feel the need to spend some days rewiring. Plus it's nice to have a backup.
Sure... in your case you'd obviously just grab a smallish fanless inverter ( < 200w ) I have a couple of 75W inverters like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope
Panope has no A/C power system. If I mount the inverter in the mechanical area I will have to run an extension cord sorta permanently = cheesy.

Also, I am very paranoid about any out-of-sight electrical equipment. I want to be immediately notified of any smoldering or burning so that I have some chance of putting out the fire before the hull insulation ignites.

Understood.

Unless your batteries are in the cabin, you may pay more to run heavy DC wire to the inverter than it would cost to run one properly-installed AC outlet. That may be a consideration.

My worst nightmare involves Roseanne Barr and food poisoning. But this isn't the place to elaborate.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 17:05   #13

Quote:

Sure... in your case you'd obviously just grab a smallish fanless inverter ( < 200w ) I have a couple of 75W inverters like that.
I could not find a sine wave inverter at 200W that has no (or at least silent) fan. There are lots of quasi sinusoidal but my DVD player and TV won't work on them.
Old 09-11-2013, 17:19   #14

Quote:
Unless your batteries are in the cabin, you may pay more to run heavy DC wire to the inverter than it would cost to run one properly-installed AC outlet. That may be a consideration.
A good point.

If I mount the inverter on the galley bulkhead, It will be about a 5 foot run to the battery switch panel - so 10 feet round trip. Not to bad.

While I was looking at wire size charts, I got to thinking about the inverter's power rating. Most have a "surge" rating of double the normal rating. Does one size the wire for the surge or for the normal rating?

Steve
Old 10-11-2013, 03:26   #15
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post

Steve
Then put a smoke alarm in with it.

Dave

Tags
inverter