Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2010, 12:35   #1
Eternal Member

A Proper Crimp - One You Can Believe In

Got to wondering today how good the crimps are from my (expensive) Greenlee crimper. I've actually got two of them: a big one, for AWG8 to AWG 4/0 cable, and a smaller one which is for AWG8 to AWG2/0 cable. Both made in Germany to a good standard. These have rotating dies which you set to the proper wire size.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0067c.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	339.1 KB
ID:	15392

Took a small length of new AWG4 stranded marine battery cable. With the Greenlee crimper, attached the lug: Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0060c.jpg
Views:	976
Size:	283.6 KB
ID:	15393

Looked pretty good, as always. Now, got set up for some surgery with a hacksaw:

Name:	DSC_0061c.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	264.2 KB
ID:	15394

Made a single clean cut thru one of the two crimped sections of the lug. Here's the result:

Name:	DSC_0064c.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	15395

Looks like a solid copper rod.

Conclusion: the crimper does a pretty good job.

Not to worry....time for another Mt. Gay :-)

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 14:04   #2
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat
Bill-
+ 1

Good show!!

I crimp a lot of heavy gauge cables and use a 12 ton hydraulic crimper for 1/0 to 4/0. I did a crimpectomy on a 4/0 crimp and found a solid copper rod that I dare say is air tight.

Charlie
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 14:17   #3
Eternal Member

Charlie,

"Crimpectomy". I love it!

Cheers,

Bill
Old 17-04-2010, 14:23   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Superb!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 15:29   #5
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
I'd love to own tools like that but I'd never be able to make it pay for itself.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 15:37   #6

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz View Post
I'd love to own tools like that but I'd never be able to make it pay for itself.
How many crimps would a person have to make before the tool would pay for itself?
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 15:37   #7
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz View Post
Rick,

I used to think like that, but now know better. A good tool will pay for itself many times over....in revenue, in peace-of-mind, and in satisfaction for doing something right and not needing to worry about it again.

You can also make money doing work for others. Lots of folks, including your friends, would pay a small fee for properly putting lugs on cable ends. Know how long it takes with a tool like this? About 30 seconds per crimp. At, let's say, $1.50 each, that's $3.00 per minute :-))

Also, you can find bargains on good tools. Right now there are two Greenlee crimpers on eBay....one here:
GREENLEE K09-2GL CRIMPER TOOL 500 2628.3 NO RESERVE - eBay (item 200461958073 end time Apr-25-10 15:57:46 PDT)

and one here:
GREENLEE K09-2GL CRIMPER FOR #8-4/O CU CONNECTORS ONLY! - eBay (item 250614922068 end time Apr-18-10 14:12:22 PDT)

These are both the larger model and are used, and apparently in very good condition.

In these terrible economic times, one can often find bargains on used and new tools...bargains which will pay off for many years to come.

JMO,

Bill
Old 17-04-2010, 15:50   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
I bought a heavy pair from Genuinedealz and spent a shade over $200 for them when I did all the battery connections last year. They did not pay for themselves in per crimp costs (if I had GD do them before shipping the cable) but they did pay for themselves in time saved and getting things how I wanted them. The right tool can be a huge difference in the project.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 16:24   #9

Boat: a sailing boat
! Way cool post and pics !

Now I run to the shop and find such a cool tool. Mine is not quite a match.

THX
barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 16:28   #10
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
Got to wondering today how good the crimps are from my (expensive) Greenlee crimper. I've actually got two of them: a big one, for AWG8 to AWG 4/0 cable, and a smaller one which is for AWG8 to AWG2/0 cable. Both made in Germany to a good standard. These have rotating dies which you set to the proper wire size.
Attachment 15392

Took a small length of new AWG4 stranded marine battery cable. With the Greenlee crimper, attached the lug: Attachment 15393

Looked pretty good, as always. Now, got set up for some surgery with a hacksaw:
Attachment 15394

Made a single clean cut thru one of the two crimped sections of the lug. Here's the result:
Attachment 15395

Looks like a solid copper rod.

Conclusion: the crimper does a pretty good job.

Not to worry....time for another Mt. Gay :-)

Bill

I've used those GreenLee crimpers for years when I was a commercial electrician. Never had a problem. But then I never dissected one like you have for a boat wire crimp. Great pics and info. Thanks.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 16:29   #11

Nice!

Buy good tools once or cheap crap over and over again.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 16:55   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Funny Bill I've done the same thing..

Even polished it to try and find any imperfections or tripoli compound left in voids.....none....
Old 17-04-2010, 17:11   #13
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Bill, nice work.

Please belay any thoughts of one-up-man-ship (() but have you tried to polish the cut end yet.

Many years back when we were crimping large cables in power supply rooms (don't recall the size but about 1.5 inch diameter), some the workshops guys carried out a similar "Crimpectomy" and then polished the cut end - highly polished I must add.

The result when viewed through a instrument microscope was that the individual strands could just be seen BUT were now all hex shaped rather than round. With the power of magnification that we had available, no air space could be determined but with a higher magnification - who knows.

Suffice to say that if the dies can reform all the strands to a hex then one would think the air might be squeezed out, especially between the crimp wall and conductor.

And it would be difficult to see how soldering this crimp could improve it; where would the solder flow into. Maybe time for another experiment - anyone????
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 17:13   #14
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
I see MS has polished the end while I was composing
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010, 02:43   #15
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
Buy good tools once or cheap crap over and over again.
Ya know that phrase rings in my head every time I buy a tool. My Grandpa (Tool & Die maker) pounded that into my head from a very early age. Some of the fondest memories I have as a kid were watching my Grandpa making tools in his workshop.

Thnx for the links on e-Bay Bill, I'll keep an eye on those.

So far I've used the anvil type crimpers. Yes I know I'll get grief from you all but so far after 30 or so crimps I've yet to have on fail. I don't hammer them like the tool was designed, I stick it in the 8" bench vice and squeeze the crap outta them. I haven't done a cimpectomy on any but I have hung my ever so impressive 240 lbs from the ceiling on one. I thought that was a decent torture test for a crimp. I might do a crimpectomy on one today if it's still raining.

I suppose if I went door to door offering my services as a cable crimper I might get the tool paid for in a couple of years!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	crimper.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	15415  
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote