Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: If you are currently using LiFePO4 cells for a house bank, propulsion, or both.
Lead is dead, never going back 49 94.23%
Big mistake, going back to lead. 3 5.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2013, 13:58   #16

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: A poll Happy with LiFe (PO4)?

Another VERY happy camper here.
200 aH @ 12 volts on the boat.
700 aH @ 24 volts in the house's emergency / solar grid tie backup system.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 14:18   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Maine,

I think you will see cycle life as advertised. I base this on how conservative they rated these cells in a-hr. After 2 years of exchanging experiences with these cells, most all are in agreement that for usable a-hr, whatever size your lead bank was, your LiFePO4 bank can be 1/2 that. It is hard for me to imagine that the manufacturers would be so conservative in capacity rating and then optimistic in cycle life rating.

So my prediction as of 11-14-2013, if in the hands of a competent user, actual cycle life will also surpass advertised claims.
Bob,

I hope your prediction is far more accurate than mine!!! I would love to be wrong on this one...
Old 14-11-2013, 15:18   #18

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Bob,

I hope your prediction is far more accurate than mine!!! I would love to be wrong on this one...
You have 200+ cycles, has your capacity dropped a meaningful amount? I have what I believe is lithium ion in my iphone which in current advertised claims has 1/3 the cycle life of LiFePO4 cells. I purchased this phone when it was first offered summer of 2007 and have roughly 600 cycles and still going with some reduced capacity. I don't need the newest offering of the iphone as so many others do, if it still works I keep using it. In modern electronics it appears to me the cycle life exceeds the end user's willingness to keep using it.

The point I'm trying to make is the lithium battery in my 7 1/2 year old iphone wasn't rated for the cycles or life span I've gotten and the LiFePO4 chemistry is rated at 3 times the cycles before dropping to 80% rated capacity.

Maine, I hope that now your bank is in the shop, you are able to cycle it twice a day. In your capable hands I think 2000 cycles wil be a walk in the park.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 15:55   #19

Boat: Island Packet 35
I hear a common theme that LiFePO4 is great for competent DIYers but not quite there for the average boater yet. There's also a concern (eloquently expressed by Maine Sail) that those same average boaters might jump too soon and give this technology a bad name. I'm following all this with great interest, and if I needed a new bank now I would go with LiFePO4--but I am curious about what is currently scaring off others. So for those who recently replaced their batteries with something other than LiFePO4, why did you make that choice? I replaced mine with a larger AGM bank a few months ago because the batteries were completely dead (new to me boat), and I didn't know enough about LiFePO4 to feel confident making that switch. I also had a long list of other boat projects, and didn't want to research batteries at the time. I started to go with Sam's club golf cart batteries, but realized that installing them level in the available space I had would seriously cramp my bank size, and make it a real pain to check electrolyte levels. Six Group 31 AGMs went in easily and allowed me to focus on other projects. If I were facing that decision today, I would go LiFePO4.

...anyone else?
SV Sea Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 16:12   #20
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Sea Monkey View Post
--but I am curious about what is currently scaring off others.

$$$$$$$....

As a live aboard on a mooring I'm planning a Li bank soon these T-105's just are not living up to the glory so many people talk about and I'm on my second new set in 5yrs.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 16:15   #21
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post

$$$$$$$
Absolutely , that's the only reason , if they were $1 / amp hour we see a lot more people try them.

Dave
Old 14-11-2013, 16:25   #22

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

$$$$$ and the challenge of installation and re-engineering charging systems in our current cruising area.

Our next bank will be LiFePO after we get the expected remaining 4 years out of our current bank. I'm hopeful that timeframe will see significant advances in lowering costs and increasing ease of installation/use.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 16:55   #23
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
$$$$$ and the challenge of installation and re-engineering charging systems in our current cruising area.

Our next bank will be LiFePO after we get the expected remaining 4 years out of our current bank. I'm hopeful that timeframe will see significant advances in lowering costs and increasing ease of installation/use.

Mark
I don't think today they any more difficult to use then lead acid. BUT. That does not mean they are the same as lead acid. That's where people go wrong.

You can get away with out BMS , you can avoid balancing. but you must understand what you are dealing with.

Today you unwittingly buy LA chargers and LA compatible equipment , seemingly making it easy. It's not that lead acid is easy( or easier) , it's just someone else has done the thinking for you. You can buy similar setups with Li , but its not the same it's different

It will never be a truly " drop in replacement "
Dave
Old 14-11-2013, 17:06   #24

We have a "Big Mistake" vote. What happened Rich (SV Third Day)?
Old 14-11-2013, 17:27   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Absolutely , that's the only reason , if they were $1 / amp hour we see a lot more people try them.

Dave
They are $1.10 per a-hr for the cells except the Balqon discount cells at $ 0.80 per cell. Did you mean $1 per a-hr for (4) cells in series (13 volts)?
Old 14-11-2013, 17:49   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
$$$$$$$....

As a live aboard on a mooring I'm planning a Li bank soon these T-105's just are not living up to the glory so many people talk about and I'm on my second new set in 5yrs.
Does this mean you haven't used LiFePO4 cells?

This poll was only for current users ("If you are currently using LiFePO4 cells for a house bank, propulsion, or both."), not non-users with an opinion.

We are still at 100% satisfied even though the poll now indicates otherwise. That is why I only gave the poll two choices because I wanted black and white results.

Please, if your not using LiFePO4 cells, don't vote.
Old 14-11-2013, 23:06   #27

Boat: Avon Rib, 65hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Does this mean you haven't used LiFePO4 cells?

This poll was only for current users ("If you are currently using LiFePO4 cells for a house bank, propulsion, or both."), not non-users with an opinion.

We are still at 100% satisfied even though the poll now indicates otherwise. That is why I only gave the poll two choices because I wanted black and white results.

Please, if your not using LiFePO4 cells, don't vote.
Bob,
I may be be mistaken but I think the one negative vote was from Mainesail, not Rich, even though he [Mainesail] is personally happy with his choice.
Cheers,
Paul Mac
Old 14-11-2013, 23:59   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith_Mac View Post
Bob,
I may be be mistaken but I think the one negative vote was from Mainesail, not Rich, even though he [Mainesail] is personally happy with his choice.
Cheers,
Paul Mac
I purposely made it a open to view votes so that folks looking for members with LiFePO4 experience would know who to contact. All anyone needs to do to see who voted is click on the number of votes for either choice. So like I said, still at 100% satisfaction among users.
Old 15-11-2013, 00:04   #29

If I had to choose one or the other, it would be LiFePO4. But, you also need to have enough money to buy enough batteries to handle your usage. They will last longer than lead acid if not abused, and you do need to hunt down the right information about how to use them. The charge controllers and such may need to be updated as well, but the technology will go towards these batteries more and more. Hopefully the price comes down a little and the components become more common..
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 01:22   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith_Mac View Post
Bob,
Cheers,
Paul Mac
I was not the negative vote,,,

Tags
batteries, housebank, lifepo4, lithium, poll